The last movie you've seen thread 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:47:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 23
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2016  (Read 56398 times)
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2014, 11:35:27 AM »

Is Interstellar worth seeing in a non-IMAX theater?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2014, 01:33:05 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2014, 01:36:15 PM by #Ready4Nixon »

Saw "Interstellar" on Wednesday. I loved it except the ending, which was overall too convenient in my opinion. He should've just died in space and that be the end of it.

The ending made me think of it as sort of the original Star Trek film's deformed grandson.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2014, 08:07:06 PM »

Is Interstellar worth seeing in a non-IMAX theater?

Saw it in IMAX. I'd recommend it especially as its what it was filmed for.

Also Interstellar has to be one of the strangest and non-conventional movies I've ever seen as a mainstream release especially with the stuff near the end...the only director who seems to be able to make these type of movies with the huge budgets required is Nolan since Inception was in the same boat.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2014, 10:30:25 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2014, 11:38:22 PM by Lief »

Okay guys, Interstellar is garbage. It looks pretty and Matthew does the best with the awful script he's given, but otherwise everything else is garbage. The score especially was incredibly bad. Zimmer thinks because he invented the BWAAAH noise he can do whatever he wants now, but no, that was exhausting.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2014, 10:38:40 PM »

Yeah, I was joking about hating it the last post (I hadn't seen it) but I saw it tonight. It was so dumb.

"We need farmers not engineers" was stupid. Nolan obviously doesn't know how industrial farming works in 2014. Especially with all those artificially intelligent robots we apparently have to do all the farming for us. We don't need farmers now much less in the future.

The whole world setup was weird and stupid. You have to be a cynical nihilist to think humans would be as dumb to just happily eat corn and not try anything else.

Interstellar travel was more risky and waste of scientific energy compared to creating an artificial atmosphere.

The communication in the bedroom was so obviously McConaughey time traveling and not ghost it was infuriating how none of these supposedly smart characters realized it until the end.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2014, 04:22:54 PM »

Loved Interstellar. It was just an experience. I don't know how else to put it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2014, 07:08:30 PM »

My biggest problem with Interstellar was (highlight to read major spoilers): The revelation that most of the movie was due to manipulation by future humans to allow the humans of the time to ensure their survival. That stable time loop crap never makes sense and it was kind of silly to see it in a "harder" sci-fi movie.

But otherwise yeah, one hell of a movie to see in the theater. I might catch it at the cheap theater in a second run too.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2014, 07:37:31 PM »

My biggest problem with Interstellar was (highlight to read major spoilers): The revelation that most of the movie was due to manipulation by future humans to allow the humans of the time to ensure their survival. That stable time loop crap never makes sense and it was kind of silly to see it in a "harder" sci-fi movie.

Well...

Time travel in which there is one timeline, it is immutable, and events "cause themselves" (the "ontological paradox") has a long history in SF, even respectable SF, at least going back to "By His Bootstraps" by Heinlein in 1941:

link

It's one possible way that time travel could work.  Does time travel actually work that way?  I don't know, because time travel isn't real.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2014, 08:59:41 PM »

I'm quite familiar with that short story, but it's clear it was written with kind of a wink and even lampshades the absurdity at the end.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2014, 03:53:44 AM »

I haven't been this disappointed by a movie in a long time, or by a Nolan movie since The Dark Knight.  Whose bright idea was it to obscure the really important dialogue with a blisteringly loud score?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2014, 09:25:59 AM »

I didn't much care for it. Too much cheap Sci-Fi mumbo jumbo (Gravity this, Gravity that!) and too much plain bad dialogue.

I'm ok with cheesy sentimentalism but this just wasn't good enough to carry the weight of the message.

Also, if you're making a twist movie it can't be this fricking obvious. 

In my opinion Nolan has gotten progressively worse. I think Memento remains one of his best movies.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2014, 09:49:08 AM »

Nolan movies have never had great dialogue, but it was pretty bad. Eye rolling monologues about love followed by stomach churning action hero puns to add humor followed by confusing fast paced science mumbo jumbo to explain what is happening. Characters personalities changed from scene to scene because of it. I'm glad Zimmer's score was drowning most of it out.

The more I think about it, the more I dislike it. 
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2014, 05:04:47 PM »

Nashville.  It's a musical from the 1970s.  It was ok, but almost three hours of country music got tiresome.  
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2014, 05:32:37 PM »

The more I think about it, the more I dislike it. 

In my opinion Nolan has gotten progressively worse. I think Memento remains one of his best movies.

Yes. I think Nolan is on course to becoming another George Lucas or Shyamalan if he's not careful.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2014, 12:50:49 AM »

Things to Come-1936 HG Wells film about THE FUTURE!  Did a pretty good job predicting and depicting WWII.  Did you know we are going to fly around the moon in 2036?  The "message" is a bit heavy handed, but that's to be expected.  Some of the stuff is pretty clichéd by now, but probably wasn't at the time.  I liked it.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2014, 01:10:59 AM »

Interstellar. 

Took some serious liberties with relativity and physics... but a good flick nonetheless.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2014, 02:44:27 AM »

Things to Come-1936 HG Wells film about THE FUTURE!  Did a pretty good job predicting and depicting WWII.  Did you know we are going to fly around the moon in 2036?  The "message" is a bit heavy handed, but that's to be expected.  Some of the stuff is pretty clichéd by now, but probably wasn't at the time.  I liked it.

I saw that a few years ago, it was very interesting.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2014, 11:37:34 PM »

I saw the following three SF/F movies on my flights earlier this week:

Predestination
What We Do in the Shadows
Snowpiercer

What We Do in the Shadows was probably my favorite of the three.  Has that come out in the US yet?  I guess it was produced in New Zealand, in collaboration with the folks behind Funny or Die.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2014, 01:10:32 AM »

Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)

Brilliant.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2014, 05:17:33 AM »

Brilliant.

Watched this yesterday as well. I really liked it as well. I'm very happy they didn't fall for some of the too obvious clicheed ending possibilities they toyed with.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2014, 12:37:29 PM »

Brilliant.

Watched this yesterday as well. I really liked it as well. I'm very happy they didn't fall for some of the too obvious clicheed ending possibilities they toyed with.

I saw it yesterday too and thought both the acting and cinematography were excellent.  The movie's commentary of the underbelly of both blockbuster/superhero/franchise movies and theatre was excellent.  While the satire of franchise films was pretty spot on, the film is actually even better when it goes after the pretentious, holier-than-though, and generally obnoxious muh Artistic Truth crowd.  Without spoiling anything, there is a scene involving a theatre critic that is probably the best scene in the whole film (essentially first among equals).  It was a good movie and I'm glad I saw it, but I will say that I didn't so much like Birdman as I found it really interesting.  It is often a pretty stressful movie to watch, imo (not that this is necessarily a bad thing).  That said, it is still pretty good and I'd recommend it.  I'd give it a B+
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2014, 08:37:20 PM »

Nightcrawler

I love movies where the (SPOILER) the bad guy wins.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2014, 01:41:31 PM »

Watched The Hunger Games: Mockingjay (Part 1) last night. I continue to really love those movies more than they probably deserve? I don't know. I thought it was great.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2014, 08:55:21 PM »

A Most Wanted Man

If you're familiar with the director's other work, then you'll know why this isn't for everyone. It's actually a very action-less movie for the most part and isn't even really a Law & Order or CSI style procedural either, it's mostly about people. It's slow but can be interesting and rewarding, Hoffman was fantastic, it was another one of his roles that he just totally blended into and was totally believable as someone in Germany intelligence. One rather silly thing about it is that all the allegedly German characters still spoke English to each other and in fact there wasn't a single line of German in the film. Expected with an English-speaking writer and mostly American cast, but still...

I just saw the movie myself.  I don't really see the English as being silly, because that's a nearly universal convention of the movies--that if Country X produces a movie set entirely in another place or time that speaks a different language, they just "translate" the whole movie for the home audience rather than subtitle the entire thing.  There are very few exceptions to this.  (The Passion of the Christ would be one of the rare counterexamples, I guess?)  I mean, an American produced movie set in Ancient Rome or an American-produced movie about Joan of Arc is going to have the actors speaking English.  How is this any more silly than that?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2014, 04:17:29 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2014, 04:24:06 PM by Lief »

Nightcrawler

Very, very good, but it has some issues (really bad soundtrack, formulaic and predictable screenplay) that prevent it from being great. Gyllenhall is fantastic of course. It's also a gorgeous movie.

It reminded me a lot of American Psycho, which is one of my favorite films. But I don't think Nightcrawler committed to being an insane satire to the same degree, sort of keeping one foot in realistic thriller territory and the other in dark comedy satire, but never fully one or the other.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies