The last movie you've seen thread 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:57:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2016  (Read 56376 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: April 10, 2017, 09:48:26 AM »

Power Rangers #noshame
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #526 on: April 10, 2017, 10:00:17 AM »

Saw Life last week ... I'm glad I heard "meh" things, because I actually liked it.  Like, what the hell were people expecting that were disappointed?  Haha...
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #527 on: April 29, 2017, 09:09:52 PM »

Split, honestly Shymalan is coming back as a director. Still has a great eye, and didn't butcher the interesting concept. Plus, had a great twist, can't wait for Glass.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #528 on: May 01, 2017, 10:47:33 AM »

The Shawshank Redemption is my favorite prison movie now. It was amazing.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #529 on: May 20, 2017, 04:30:09 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2017, 08:49:54 PM by Alex »

Guardians 2, two weeks ago (loved it)
Thanks for Smoking for college

I'm going to watch Get Out (6.5/10) tomorrow
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #530 on: May 20, 2017, 11:55:55 PM »

Streamed All The Way the other day. I loved it. If only modern Democrats could be more like LBJ.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #531 on: May 21, 2017, 09:39:33 AM »

Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2

Marvel does it again. They never cease to amaze me with how great their movies are.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #532 on: May 22, 2017, 04:58:51 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2017, 05:02:25 PM by Chairman of the 2024 Trump campaign for Russian president »

Streamed All The Way the other day. I loved it. If only modern Democrats could be more like LBJ.

If you haven't seen it yet, I'd also recommend Path to War which could almost be considered a sequel to All the Way, except that it was filmed and released 14 years earlier.

While All they Way covers LBJ's first year in office, Path to War starts with his inauguration in 1965 and covers the remainder of his presidency. He's definitely more of a tragic, overwhelmed, and haunted figure in the latter film though, since in a reversal to All the Way the focus lies on Vietnam with civil rights playing only a minor role.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #533 on: May 22, 2017, 05:17:30 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2017, 05:19:15 PM by En Marche Forcée »

If you haven't seen it yet, I'd also recommend Path to War which could almost be considered a sequel to All the Way, except that it was filmed and released 14 years earlier.

While All they Way covers LBJ's first year in office, Path to War starts with his inauguration in 1965 and covers the remainder of his presidency. He's definitely more of a tragic, overwhelmed, and haunted figure in the latter film though, since in a reversal to All the Way the focus lies on Vietnam with civil rights playing only a minor role.

That sounds very interesting. I'll definitely check it out.

I'll note there are a few very compelling bits of tragedy in LBJ's portrayal here, but they'd definitely come up more in a Vietnam-focused setting.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #534 on: June 02, 2017, 12:12:56 AM »

Not a movie, but I started watching the new re-animated mystery/sci-fi/horror Twin Peaks series from the early 1990s ...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Peaks
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #535 on: June 02, 2017, 03:26:43 PM »

Pitch Perect 2. Loved it.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #536 on: June 03, 2017, 01:53:44 PM »

Wonder Woman.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #537 on: June 03, 2017, 02:30:18 PM »

As good as Bryan Cranston was in All the Way, I'd argue the film itself was pretty much a hagiography in the worst sense of the word.  I mean, if you want to see a more recent example of an actor give a great performance as a Democratic President in a program that portrays "perfect" President with no real flaws and offers a pretty unrealistic depiction of American politics, I'm pretty sure you can stream The West Wing on Netflix.  And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with enjoying All The Way as a movie (I didn't, but that's just me), but it's like JFK.  If you take it as an entertainment alone, that's fine, but don't watch it expecting to learn anything either.  It's about Lyndon Johnson the way that American Hustle is about ABSCAM.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #538 on: June 03, 2017, 07:41:42 PM »

As good as Bryan Cranston was in All the Way, I'd argue the film itself was pretty much a hagiography in the worst sense of the word.  I mean, if you want to see a more recent example of an actor give a great performance as a Democratic President in a program that portrays "perfect" President with no real flaws and offers a pretty unrealistic depiction of American politics, I'm pretty sure you can stream The West Wing on Netflix.  And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with enjoying All The Way as a movie (I didn't, but that's just me), but it's like JFK.  If you take it as an entertainment alone, that's fine, but don't watch it expecting to learn anything either.  It's about Lyndon Johnson the way that American Hustle is about ABSCAM.

I mean yeah, I realized watching it that it was obviously going for a sympathetic portrayal and ignoring the more unsavory aspects, but I wouldn't say it was outright hagiographic. Besides, the demonization of LBJ is far more annoying to me, and I maintain that the Democrats would be much better off if they had leaders like him, rather than the spineless empty suits we get these days.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #539 on: June 04, 2017, 12:35:59 PM »

I mean yeah, I realized watching it that it was obviously going for a sympathetic portrayal and ignoring the more unsavory aspects, but I wouldn't say it was outright hagiographic. Besides, the demonization of LBJ is far more annoying to me, and I maintain that the Democrats would be much better off if they had leaders like him, rather than the spineless empty suits we get these days.

LBJ was a pretty complex guy and for all the good he accomplished in areas such as civil rights and widening the social safety net, let's not forget that he had a ton of political capital, large Democratic majorities in both houses of Congress, and an opposition party that wasn't composed almost entirely of legislative suicide bombers.  I'm skeptical about how much someone like Johnson would've gotten done if they were President from 2008-2016 and would argue that Obama really accomplished far more than anyone could've realistically expected given the circumstances. 

Not to be condescending or anything, but it's not like Republicans have been winning because Democrats are scared to use inflammatory enough rhetoric or something like that.  Those sorts of oversimplifications are really little more than ideological comfort food and I say that as someone who was an enthusiastic Sanders supporter in 2016.  The fact is that when you don't control either house of Congress and have a major party that would gladly support a bigoted, treasonous sex predator and gleefully try to break the government simply for short-term political advantage regardless of the consequences, it's going to be really hard to get a lot done, period. 

Also, it's worth remembering that Johnson lied to the American people to sell them on a disastrous and completely unnecessary war and actively tried to destroy the lives of those who tried to bring this to the public's attention.  Maybe it's just me, but that sounds a lot more like George W. Bush's administration  than it does anyone I'd want in the Democratic Party.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #540 on: June 04, 2017, 09:44:23 PM »

John Wick 2.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #541 on: June 04, 2017, 10:20:40 PM »

Alan Clarke's Made in Britain.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #542 on: June 04, 2017, 10:31:28 PM »

Wonder Woman (7/10)
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #543 on: June 06, 2017, 05:18:11 PM »

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #544 on: June 08, 2017, 03:09:59 PM »

Paris Can Wait - nothing remarkable.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #545 on: June 08, 2017, 10:47:53 PM »

I watched A Fish Called Wanda again last weekend. Always a good watch
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #546 on: June 23, 2017, 11:48:44 PM »

Comrades: Almost a Love Story

One of my all-time favorites.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #547 on: June 24, 2017, 09:55:49 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2017, 10:03:44 PM by #woke O'Malley 2020 »

Watching Star Trek: Beyond. As laughable as the complaints from the self-proclaimed "alternative right" may or may not have been, the "message" of the film thus far is quite obvious. The Federation allows for mass immigration and for liberalism in the personal sphere. Amazing. Fantastic. More importantly, it represents a belief in consensus and shared interests. Krall and his motley crew, if nothing else, represent a belief in the necessity and importance of struggle. He also seems to embody a concept multiple illiberal movements--both the anti-globalization current of the present and the anti-colonial ones of the past--for years you have pushed against the frontier, now the frontier pushes back. Were I a Marxist, I would say that this film is also implicitly one of imperialism; the Federation is a liberalizing force that brings all peoples together under a spirit of tolerant, multi-cultural capitalism. Krall's goons are the a barbarian force defending their premodern way of life--such as it even is at this point.

Overall, the film is far too explicit in its value systems, to the point of being a poor propaganda piece. I would like to think I could have written a better film. Sadly, some epic chronicling the last gasp of the frontier would likely be 2.5 hours long. And for a name like "Beyond", this film is quite assuredly not nearly "scary" enough. I would have hoped dearly for more tense moments aboard a dying ship, well beyond where any man had gone before.

EDIT: Fantastic. Some bullsh#t origin story. Why need it be an embittered Star Fleet captain? A perpetually expanding, eternally modernizing internationalplanetary organization seems more than enough to inspire revenge from the developing worlds.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #548 on: June 26, 2017, 12:15:14 AM »

Wonder Woman: I can't believe DC finally made a good movie! And honestly, if I wanted any DC movie to be good, it was definitely this one. It's so refreshing to finally see a superhero movie with a female lead that isn't shamelessly exploitive or sexist and actually focuses on telling a compelling story. It has its share of problems of course, but it's still a damn good movie and exceeded all my expectations. I really hope other directors of DC movies will take a clue.

The Departed: It's a very well-crafted movie with absolutely brilliant suspense, but the ending is way too nihilistic for my tastes. That was a real letdown.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #549 on: June 26, 2017, 12:33:26 PM »

The Princess Bride

This movie will never stop being awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies