The last movie you've seen thread 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:02:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23]
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2016  (Read 56394 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: June 26, 2017, 12:37:22 PM »

The Departed: It's a very well-crafted movie with absolutely brilliant suspense, but the ending is way too nihilistic for my tastes. That was a real letdown.
The original HK movie, Internal Affairs, is widely considered to be even better.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #551 on: June 26, 2017, 12:42:54 PM »

Rented The Girl On The Train when I was "sick" (read: still hungover from a Thursday to Saturday binger capped off with a wedding ... friends visiting town is always trouble) one Monday ... meh.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #552 on: June 26, 2017, 03:57:39 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2017, 04:00:10 PM by Chairman of the 2024 Trump campaign for Russian president »

Wonder Woman, undoubtedly the best superhero movie since Logan.

And if it weren't for Logan, it would have been the best superhero movie in years.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #553 on: June 27, 2017, 01:07:44 AM »

And if it weren't for Logan, it would have been the best superhero movie in years.

I haven't seen Logan, but I'd still say Civil War was better (and before that, X-Men: First Class). And I say that despite preferring DC to Marvel.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #554 on: June 27, 2017, 01:16:25 AM »

The Five People You Meet in Heaven (2004).

Good movie. Greater book.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #555 on: June 27, 2017, 04:24:21 PM »

I haven't seen Logan, but I'd still say Civil War was better (and before that, X-Men: First Class). And I say that despite preferring DC to Marvel.

I didn't think that Civil War was that great. It wasn't bad or anything, but I think its main flaw lies with the fact that it doesn't really stand on its own as a movie. It's just another "episode" within the larger Marvel series, serving as a sequel to both The Winter Soldier and The Age of Ultron. Even someone like me, who has seen all the MCU films to date I found it at first hard to to remember all the relevant details from those previous films to fully follow the plot of Civil War.

I enjoyed X-Men: First Class very much, although I don't think that it was better than Wonder Woman either. But taste varies, I guess.

Well, and as far as Logan is concerned... it's basically a road movie depicting a dying and disillusioned Wolverine travelling across a near-future America that used, but ceased to be a great country some time ago. Trailers for Logan made use of Johnny Cash's Hurt as background music, a song which in fact captures the general mood of this movie very well.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #556 on: July 10, 2017, 08:10:32 AM »

Heathers: basically the evil twin of Clueless. Hilariously creepy and un-PC, though a bit too cynical for me at some points.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #557 on: July 10, 2017, 08:19:35 AM »

Spider-Man: Homecoming and Baby Driver

Great weekend at the local cinema.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #558 on: July 12, 2017, 05:09:40 AM »

Get Out was the last film I saw (as a birthday present). I'd like to see War for the Planet of the Apes, but likely won't get to the theater while it's still showing.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #559 on: July 13, 2017, 12:11:15 PM »

Somewhat OT, but has anyone seen Baby Driver? I'm trying to decide if it's worth a visit to the theatres.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #560 on: July 14, 2017, 09:43:17 PM »

Before I Fall. It characters and plot are as conventional as it gets, but I do love the concept and it knows how to pull my heart strings. Genuinely moving ending.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #561 on: July 15, 2017, 05:58:55 AM »

Star Trek Beyond, the worse film in the new Star Trek series is still a very solid movie.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #562 on: July 15, 2017, 09:10:34 AM »
« Edited: July 15, 2017, 09:12:05 AM by Fearless Leader X »

Fruitvale Station

A very powerful and well-made film.  I think part of way it left such a strong emotional impact on me when it was over was that the movie resists the temptation to sensationalize or melodramatically depict Oscar Grant's shooting or the events which took place on the last day of his life (nor does it lionize Grant the way many films like this would, he's not a perfect guy by any means).  As a result, watching the film just feels like spending a day in the shoes of an ordinary yet paradoxically still fairly complicated man.  Except instead of ending like any other perfectly normal day, it ends with a pretty horrifying (though again, never sensationalized) tragedy.  To give you an idea of how bad this 2009 police shooting was, the officer actually got convicted by a jury (albeit of involuntary manslaughter rather than second degree murder) and was sentenced to two years in prison, when's the last time that happened?
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #563 on: July 16, 2017, 08:16:59 AM »

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Very, very good movie. The best of the franchise. Near perfection.

War for the Planet of the Apes
Good, but disappointing. The trailer for the film made it better than it was; made it seem like the girl would be a main character, and the villain would be interesting. None of those things were true.

Spider-Man: Homecoming
Amazing film, but not quite as good as Spider-Man 2. Although Tom Holland is undoubtedly a better Spider-Man than Tobey.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #564 on: July 16, 2017, 10:41:20 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2017, 12:04:13 AM by Alex »

Spiderman Homecoming 7.5/10
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #565 on: July 16, 2017, 10:52:51 PM »
« Edited: July 16, 2017, 10:55:02 PM by Santander »

Ashes and Diamonds

Perhaps favorite film of all-time, close competition with Casablanca, Chungking Express, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly and Doctor Zhivago.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #566 on: July 21, 2017, 10:32:02 PM »

Dunkirk

Controversial, but this is a step-down from Interstellar. However, it is also not trying to do much besides depict the events, and in that respect, it succeeded mostly....Except there was one death that wasn't actually needed at all, and was executed badly ("But Mr. Smith", you say, "it's a war movie, of course there's deaths and reality isn't realistic", trust me there's context for this annoyance), and there was an extra 5 seconds at the end not worth anything either. Besides that, excellent performances, amazing cinematography and overall visuals, just a bit lacking when it came to narrative. But the lack of expository dialogue is a welcome change.

Grade: A-
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #567 on: July 24, 2017, 02:21:50 AM »

Not a movie, but I saw The Book of Mormon on Broadway yesterday. Witty, edgy, hilarious, thought provoking. 12/10 would recommend.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies