The last movie you've seen thread 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:12:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2016  (Read 56384 times)
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2014, 04:28:41 PM »

bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2014, 04:33:34 PM »

November Man
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2014, 04:43:45 PM »

Fargo

Hilarious. Just a shame it took this long to see.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2014, 04:54:00 PM »

Fargo

There's hope for you yet.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2014, 06:04:36 PM »

Fargo

You should check out the FX series of the same name.  It's excellent and if you like Coen brothers movies, I'm pretty sure you'll love it.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2014, 07:42:08 PM »

I just got back from seeing Interstellar.  My friends raved about it, and it got some good reviews, so I was looking forward to it.  As it turned out, though some of the cinematography was cool to look at, I thought the movie mostly sucked. 
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2014, 07:56:08 PM »

Nightcrawler

Possibly one of the most accurate depictions of a sociopath in cinematic history. And also a great performance by Gyllenhaal, of course.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2014, 01:44:45 AM »

I just finished watching Blade Runner: The Final Cut. I had seen the director cut already.

There's a remarkable new layer to it with all the police excessive force scandal in the news.  Unintentional given it's age but still all I could think was "if Rutger Hauer were replaced with a black actor, this would be biting social commentary for today."

Highly recommend for those who haven't seen it,  and for those who have as well to view it from that angle.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2014, 05:45:54 AM »
« Edited: December 07, 2014, 05:48:51 AM by Breaking hearts and minds »

Kraftidioten (English title: In Order of Disappearance, German title: Einer nach dem anderen).

Norwegian crime film/black comedy, starring Stellan Skarsgard.

Pretty Coen-esque film, reminded a bit of Fargo in its style. Lots of snow, lots of dead bodies.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2014, 05:12:03 PM »

I just finished watching Blade Runner: The Final Cut. I had seen the director cut already.

There's a remarkable new layer to it with all the police excessive force scandal in the news.  Unintentional given it's age but still all I could think was "if Rutger Hauer were replaced with a black actor, this would be biting social commentary for today."

Highly recommend for those who haven't seen it,  and for those who have as well to view it from that angle.

The message is timeless really, while the mis-en-scene is delightfully early 80s kitsch.

Nightcrawler is typical Hollywood... glorification of the Worst under the guise of Satire.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2014, 06:34:59 PM »

The Drop

"Small", but decent crime drama. I guess I never saw Tom Hardy play someone this likable before (even though he did play a murderer here, strictly speaking).
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2014, 07:52:21 PM »

Interstellar
Very interesting movie, one of my favorites for the year.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2014, 11:46:47 AM »

Finally got around to seeing Mockingjay Part One. What an incredibly mediocre movie. It had enough cool parts to make it not terrible, but it's hard to say that much of anything really happened. The "twist" was super obvious, and I just completely hated Katniss the entire movie. All she does is whine about Peeta not being rescued instead of her despite being objectively far more important than him. I couldn't care less about Peeta. Everyone just makes incredibly stupid decisions throughout (e.g. the damn cat) that create fake tension.

Oh, and there was virtually no Woody Harrelson in the entire movie.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2014, 05:58:58 PM »

Watched Laura Poitras' Snowden documentary Citizenfour yesterday.

And today I went into Im Labyrinth des Schweigens. German period drama set in the late 50s and early 60s, dealing with the efforts of the Frankfurt District Attorney's office to hunt down former Auschwitz personnel and the obstacles they had to face from within the system (because key personnel within the law enforcement agencies and the judicial system in 1950s West Germany were for all intent and purposes Nazis themselves).
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2014, 07:19:34 PM »

Her

Liked it better than I thought I would.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2014, 11:45:27 PM »

Birdman

Good, but weird, but good.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2014, 11:32:56 PM »

Just watched Cannibal Holocaust. Deeply unsettling, and one of the best movies I've seen in a while.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2014, 07:48:17 AM »

Finally got to watch The Blues Brothers.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #93 on: December 23, 2014, 10:14:01 AM »
« Edited: December 23, 2014, 11:56:58 AM by Tzar and IDS Legislator X, Primate of Atlasia »

Note: This was supposed to just be a paragraph, but somehow it turned into a megapost Tongue

Foxcatcher - I admired it more than I liked it (it's a pretty bleak and tragic movie).  Tatum and Redgrave are decent, but nothing special.  However, there are no words to describe just how incredible Steve Carrell is in the movie.  It's not just some gimmick performance where Carrell slaps on a prosethetic nose and begs for an Oscar, he inhabits the character the way Daniel Day-Lewis did in Lincoln or that Heath Ledger did in The Dark Knight.  Even his delivery of a line as simple as "You got a problem with me" is said with such venom and hatred bubbling just beneath the surface that thinking about the scene still gives me chills (yet Carrell never resorts to the sort of flashy "I'm ACTING" moments that a lesser actor might've used as a crutch when playing a role like this).  The movie is very dark and often way too slow, but Carrell's performance alone is more than worth the price of admission.  

Carrell's performance was really something to see and sadly, I doubt he'll even get nominated for Best Actor.  Foxcatcher is not really an "Oscars Movie" despite being marketed as one, and Carrell gives a subtle and controlled (yet paradoxically very emotional in a decidedly non-flashy sort of way).  Furthermore, there is no melodramatic/flashy "Look at me, I'm ACTING" scene.  It looks like Mark Ruffalo will probably get nominated for supporting actor, but his preformance was easily the weakest in the film. 

I'd give Foxcatcher a solid B overall, but I would still highly recommend checking it out if you're a fan of dark character studies or want to see Steve Carrell give a truly terrifying performance.  Just make sure you know what you're getting first, if a really dark take on events leading up to the Du Pont/Schultz tragedy doesn't sound like your cup of tea or if a movie moving at a pretty slow pace from beginning to end (with the exception of three scenes) sounds like it might get frustrating for you, you're probably better off waiting until you can reserve it at the library rather than paying to see it in theaters.

On a different note, one thing that I found kind of disturbing was that it seemed pretty obvious that Du Pont was suffering from very serious mental illness (it's not like he was high-functioning in public or something, at least from how he was portrayed in the movie) and yet he was so rich that no one, not other wealthy businessmen, not the local police, and not the members of Congress who met him seemed to even bat an eye at his behavior.  I don't know how accurate this aspect of the movie was, but one gets the impression that his family had so much money that they could simply shield him from the world during his childhood and that as an adult (and the heir to the Du Pont fortune), he had so much money that it basically didn't matter to anyone that he was clearly in need of professional help and had some sort mental issues (although I do see how without hindsight it would be hard to imagine that he would ever actually be dangerous).  It's sad because one can't help but think that the tragedy could've been averted if rather than just spoiling him while using the family's money to try to shield her son from any sort of adversity or pain while he was growing up, his mother had used it to put him in a top-quality mental hospital or whatever where he could at least get the sort of treatment and care that he clearly needed.  In a sense, it's really a cautionary tale about the dangers of the idea that money can fix anything if you have enough of it.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2014, 10:43:41 AM »

Exodus: Gods and Kings  2 or 2½ stars out of 4

Saw it last weekend. As to be expected with Biblical blockbusters these days, it took some liberties with the source material, but it wasn't nearly as egregious about it as Noah was. Definitely recommend watching in 3D if you go see it.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #95 on: December 26, 2014, 05:36:41 PM »

Bird man: great performances but other than that it wasn't that good. 2/4

Theory of everything: interesting story but apparently not very accurate. 2/4

Big eyes: burton at his best 3/4

Imitation game: brilliant 4/4
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #96 on: December 26, 2014, 05:59:33 PM »

Last new movie I saw: The Interview
Last movie of any age I saw: Akira
Last new movie I saw in the theater: Fahrenheit 9/11 (I was like 16)
Last movie of any age I saw in the theater: Cannibal Holocaust (midnight showing my freshman year of college)
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #97 on: December 26, 2014, 06:29:51 PM »

I saw a movie called The Book Thief last night on HBO.  I'd recommend it.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #98 on: December 26, 2014, 09:10:25 PM »

Fury.

B-

Very good acting, good action scenes, but the story was filled with cliches. Like the one where someone says a bible verse and another character quotes the source. The Hispanic guy is kind of a racial stereotype as well. The characters are basically: "the mean guy," "the bible guy," "the rookie," "The Mexican guy," and Brad Pitt.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #99 on: December 27, 2014, 01:31:54 AM »

Skeleton Twins -- Pretty cliched indie dramedy in almost all respects (from the screenplay to the direction), but Hader and Wiig are delightful, so I enjoyed it. Rad soundtrack too.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies