The last movie you've seen thread 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:02:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2016
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2016  (Read 56360 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 25, 2014, 08:45:35 AM »
« edited: July 19, 2016, 01:17:00 AM by King »

I can't find the old one so I'm making a new one.

I saw a screening of Boyhood last night and it's so terrific I just have to let you all know you have to see it whenever it comes your way.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 06:07:47 PM »

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes last Monday.  I don't recommend shelling out the extra for the 3D version as while it wasn't bad 3D, it didn't really add anything.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 10:11:45 PM »

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes last Monday.  I don't recommend shelling out the extra for the 3D version as while it wasn't bad 3D, it didn't really add anything.

Pretty much every movie released in 3D these days. I really want to see this. I think the last film I saw in theaters was The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 08:38:12 AM »

Zwei Leben (Two Lives) on Monday.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 10:15:01 AM »

I saw a screening of Boyhood last night and it's so terrific I just have to let you all know you have to see it whenever it comes your way.

I'm really interested in seeing this movie. Its average score currently stands at 9.4 on Rotten Tomatoes, which increases to a score of 9.8 (!!!) among Top Critics. As far as I can tell, that's the highest score that any film has ever received on that site.

Anyway, the last film that I saw in theaters was Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Surprisingly deep for a movie that contains a scene in which a chimpanzee armed with a machine gun rides through a wall of flames while on horseback. 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 12:21:12 PM »

I'm really interested in seeing this movie. Its average score currently stands at 9.4 on Rotten Tomatoes, which increases to a score of 9.8 (!!!) among Top Critics. As far as I can tell, that's the highest score that any film has ever received on that site.

It really is that good IMO. Keep your eyes peeled for a showing.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 06:10:14 PM »

I saw Lucy.  I liked it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 06:25:27 PM »

My friends dragged me to watch the last Transformers. Oh God, those were three long hours... Tongue
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 08:16:09 PM »

I took my dad to see the new Godzilla for Father's Day. I was very pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Thought it would be another stupid action flick with excessive violence compensating for terrible acting/graphics, but nope, it was a very well done film in virtually every aspect.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 04:52:18 PM »

Lucy

Even I with all my crazy thoughts never got the idea "Hey what if someone combined Limitless and The Tree of Life?" but apparently Luc Besson did.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 06:24:13 PM »

Snowpiercer

Awesome flick!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 12:13:54 AM »
« Edited: August 09, 2014, 12:17:30 AM by #WarOnWhites »

White House Down. Fantastic film, can't wait for the sequel. Channing Tatum should be in every movie. The faces he makes are hilarious but also really put you, as the audience, at ease and make you feel safe. Could have used a better villain though.

It's also very, very pro-Obama, which I found so refreshing in the current political climate.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 12:25:13 AM »

This was the last movie I watched too. It was different... Some good (if heavy handed) satire and social commentary mixed with too ample doses of utter ridiculousness.  3 out of 4 stars.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 08:28:47 AM »

I saw Frank about a week ago. It was only playing in one theatre in the inner city so it was a pain in the ass to get to, but it was worth it. Not really as funny as I was led to believe, but I still would recommend it if you like that sort of overwrought quirky thing.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 09:45:02 AM »

I saw Non-Stop last night. The acting was pretty good, but the plot had room for improvement. I felt like the ending was a bit sloppy, but it wasn't terrible. Liam Neeson and Julianne Moore really carried this film to a level that many actors probably couldn't, but the supporting cast should have been shifted around. For one, Lupita Nyong'o merited a larger role. She only received about two or three minutes of lines, which is a waste of talent considering her accomplishments. Michelle Dockery did well as the leading flight attendant, but I would have traded her for Lupita. Overall, I'd rank the movie 2.5 out of 4 stars. I think anyone who enjoys action movies would like this one.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2014, 09:58:50 AM »

Never, you don't get to have 4 stars. Your choices are 3, 5, and 10. 4 stars means that when you give a movie more than 50% positive but less than 75%, you have to give it portions of a star. And giving half a star is just silly. Half a star causes all kinds of problems astronomically. You might as well move onto another system that allows for that kind of division. Either add more stars to your repertoire or find a new system. Slices of bread or something.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 10:10:16 AM »

Never, you don't get to have 4 stars. Your choices are 3, 5, and 10. 4 stars means that when you give a movie more than 50% positive but less than 75%, you have to give it portions of a star. And giving half a star is just silly. Half a star causes all kinds of problems astronomically. You might as well move onto another system that allows for that kind of division. Either add more stars to your repertoire or find a new system. Slices of bread or something.

LOL, I just saw someone else using 4 stars here and I see that in the newspaper Cheesy But I guess if I gave percentages, maybe a 60% or 6/10 stars. Or I could just borrow some slices of bread from the lady in your sig or something. Smiley
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2014, 12:06:48 PM »

I am Groot.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2014, 02:24:15 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2014, 02:25:58 PM by realisticidealist »

My wife finally convinced me to see Guardians of the Galaxy last night. It was ok, not great, but an improvement on Thor 2 and Captain America 2, both of which I hated, and Iron Man 3 which was pretty forgettable. GotG was horribly clichéd, with terrible dialogue and a laughably pathetic villain (oh God that ending), but it was reasonable funny (though about a third of the jokes were groan-worthy and overused) and had a fair amount of heart. The movie gave me little reason to care about Nova, but the main characters were generally likable and the settings were cool. The soundtrack was hit-and-miss with an overload of 70s and 80s nostalgia that I didn't care for, though it had its moments.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2014, 02:36:41 PM »

Same.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2014, 04:33:59 PM »

The last movie I saw was Hausu. The last movie I saw in theaters was Godzilla. I may be Groot this evening.

My tastes in film really aren't as highbrow as all that.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2014, 04:40:57 PM »

A Touch of Sin (2013).
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 12:20:54 AM »
« Edited: August 10, 2014, 12:22:36 AM by asexual trans victimologist »

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy. I didn't think it was very good objectively speaking, but Lord was it a blast! I enjoyed it more than any other Marvel movie other than perhaps the second Captain America (which I also maintain is artistically the best).

Lucy

Even I with all my crazy thoughts never got the idea "Hey what if someone combined Limitless and The Tree of Life?" but apparently Luc Besson did.

Besson's work is really hit (Léon)-and-miss (The Messenger) for me. Would you say you liked Lucy, overall?

EDIT: For some reason I didn't realize that Taken was a Besson flick. That makes entirely too much sense.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2014, 02:47:53 PM »

Boyhood.  One of the greatest films I have ever seen in my life.  A day later, I'm still in tears.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2014, 03:32:37 PM »

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy. I didn't think it was very good objectively speaking, but Lord was it a blast! I enjoyed it more than any other Marvel movie other than perhaps the second Captain America (which I also maintain is artistically the best).

Lucy

Besson's work is really hit (Léon)-and-miss (The Messenger) for me. Would you say you liked Lucy, overall?

EDIT: For some reason I didn't realize that Taken was a Besson flick. That makes entirely too much sense.

About halfway through you realize that it's so ridiculous it shouldn't be taken seriously at all and then it becomes more enjoyable. It's not an at all plausible sci-fi movie, which is only a factor if you care that much about it. Knowing that I enjoyed it.

A lot of negative reviews seem to be coming from people who either: 1-couldn't accept this or 2-expected a pure action movie.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies