The last movie you've seen thread 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:29:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2016  (Read 56389 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 06:55:36 PM »

Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

A letdown, but honestly what movie couldn't be after that wait? I have no clue why it took nine years. That said the main story was the weakest, I was more intrigued by Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character and story (and he had by far the best performance), the other one was interesting but opened some plotholes in conjunction with the first...definitely say see it but don't expect the first. Also the first movie I actually saw in 3D believe it or not (usually try to avoid that but the only showing I could make) and while I didn't exactly hate it or anything I thought it was pretty unnecessary and didn't add anything though it didn't detract much either.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2014, 07:16:28 PM »

17 filles

Been aired on arte recently.

It's about the true story of about 15 French girls who were in the same high-school and who decided to become pregnant all in the same time after one of them decided to keep one she had by accident.

I quite liked how it managed to be both quite realistic about French teenagers without being either boring or heavy (which is often the case with French movies that tries to be realistic), nor moralistic, and the talk about the emptyness of 'modern society' wasn't unpleasant either.

Haven't been disappointed and even rewatched it through the repeat the day after.

Also, what I felt after having seen it was it definitely should be the movie to watch after Virgin suicides, that latter, and overall the end, did let me a rather unpleasant taste in the mouth...

Not unpleasant soundtrack in both cases anyways (definitely venenous for Virgins, done by French guys indeed, as all decent electro music Grin).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2014, 10:13:33 PM »

The Equalizer

Not what I expected at all, and I mean that in a very good way. Antoine Fuqua has proven himself to be a very capable action director many times and that's what I was expecting here. But this is not along the lines of Olympus Has Fallen or any other film he's done, it's a very slow moving and artsy type of action movie, think Drive. FYI it's just as graphically violent as well. For a movie based on a cult 80s show, though with virtually nothing in common aside from the protagonist's name, it was a big surprise.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2014, 10:16:15 PM »

The Purge 2: Anarchy

Certainly better than the first one. You could tell it was very low budget. I still maintain it's an interesting premise, but the people making these movies don't seem to be able to do anything interesting with it. But it sort of reminds me of 1970s era sci-fi movies which were heavily political/allegorical, which is pretty cool.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2014, 05:20:14 AM »

This month I've seen...

Boyhood - Impressive, oscar-worthy project. Nough said.

A Most Wanted Man - Decent movie. Hoffman's final performance certainly makes it worthwhile. Went into the non-dubbed version, it's weird to see a movie set in Germany with predominently German characters who all talk English all the time nonetheless.

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For - Okay-ish, although knowing the reviews I went into it with lowered expectations anyway. Second Eva Green movie in a row where I got to see her breasts, and this time she turned it up to eleven. Tongue

Who Am I - German hacker thriller with psychological elements. The not so original plot could be best described as "Fight Club meets The Social Network in Berlin" (at least they acknowledged where they took their inspirations from by included a Fight Club movie poster on the protagonist's bedroom wall).
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2014, 01:10:44 AM »

Just watched Spring Breakers. ing depressing.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2014, 04:44:57 PM »

Saw The Grand Budapest Hotel and Gone Girl.

Easily my 2nd and 3rd favorite films of the year after Boyhood.

Definitely see all three.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2014, 10:42:21 PM »

Annabelle

A good scare, but not nearly as good as The Conjuring (which, as a horror movie junkie, scared the s**t outta me).
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2014, 06:54:37 AM »

Gone Girl
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2014, 11:07:58 PM »

I finally made it to Gone Girl. It was...harrowing, and I'm not sure I'd want to watch it again, but still obviously a very good film.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2014, 11:18:59 PM »

A Most Wanted Man

If you're familiar with the director's other work, then you'll know why this isn't for everyone. It's actually a very action-less movie for the most part and isn't even really a Law & Order or CSI style procedural either, it's mostly about people. It's slow but can be interesting and rewarding, Hoffman was fantastic, it was another one of his roles that he just totally blended into and was totally believable as someone in Germany intelligence. One rather silly thing about it is that all the allegedly German characters still spoke English to each other and in fact there wasn't a single line of German in the film. Expected with an English-speaking writer and mostly American cast, but still...

Hoffman really shined at the ending too, and it makes you miss him all the more.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2014, 04:18:57 PM »

Gone Girl

I'm not sure if I loved it or hated, but definitely one or the other.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2014, 06:39:43 PM »

Gone Girl

I'm not sure if I loved it or hated, but definitely one or the other.

Looking back, a lot of it feels really stupid, but as a first watch it's a hell of a ride.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2014, 01:33:40 PM »

I watched Rosemary's Baby for the first time last night. It's a masterpiece. It might be one of the best movie I've ever seen. It manages to be profoundly terrifying but also really darkly hilarious, and it's scary and creepy with almost no violence or gore, or even darkness or shadow. I love how Polanski dumps information on the audience and uses film techniques so that we're pretty sure what's happening like a third of the way through the movie, but are absolutely powerless to do anything about it while Rosemary is sucked deeper and deeper, which just adds to the anxiety and unease you feel as the audience. It's so, so good.

Also as someone who lives in New York, it's insane that an unemployed actor was apparently able to afford the rent of an apartment like that in 1965. That would easily be worth millions today.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2014, 02:08:12 PM »
« Edited: November 01, 2014, 02:12:05 PM by bedstuy »

I watched Rosemary's Baby for the first time last night. It's a masterpiece. It might be one of the best movie I've ever seen. It manages to be profoundly terrifying but also really darkly hilarious, and it's scary and creepy with almost no violence or gore, or even darkness or shadow. I love how Polanski dumps information on the audience and uses film techniques so that we're pretty sure what's happening like a third of the way through the movie, but are absolutely powerless to do anything about it while Rosemary is sucked deeper and deeper, which just adds to the anxiety and unease you feel as the audience. It's so, so good.

Also as someone who lives in New York, it's insane that an unemployed actor was apparently able to afford the rent of an apartment like that in 1965. That would easily be worth millions today.

I just rewatched that a few days ago.  It's really great.

What I find really amazing is that it's a profoundly feminist film, it's ultimately about how society forces women to subjugate themselves and punishes them for independence and individuality.  It's sort of about the tragedy of pregnancy, because a woman's maternal instinct can keep her with a man that she knows is unreliable and bad for her.  That was what I took from it anyway.  And, to think that feminist message is coming from a rapist.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2014, 02:49:11 PM »

Watched The Babadook last night. Profoundly unsettling, if not to say frightening film. I doesn't really cover much 'new ground' (though that sort of thing is quite hard to do, especially in the horror genre), but it takes a lot of concepts (the blurring of reality and fantasy, feelings of isolation, loss of control by those who are supposed to exercise it) and plays them very deftly indeed. The realisation of the creature is also very well done. I'd highly recommend it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2014, 02:51:33 PM »

I just rewatched that a few days ago.  It's really great.

What I find really amazing is that it's a profoundly feminist film, it's ultimately about how society forces women to subjugate themselves and punishes them for independence and individuality.  It's sort of about the tragedy of pregnancy, because a woman's maternal instinct can keep her with a man that she knows is unreliable and bad for her.  That was what I took from it anyway.  And, to think that feminist message is coming from a rapist.

Yes! I was thinking exactly the same thing this morning. It's crazy.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2014, 03:42:34 PM »

I saw the 1982 version of The Thing.  It was an absolute masterpiece (easily among the best horror films ever made) and John Carpenter's best film by far.  The special effects hold up quite well.  If you like horror or science-fiction, I'd highly recommend it.  There is one scene that I absolutely hated though (oddly enough, seeing dogs die in movies (or anywhere really Tongue ) always gets me extremely upset.  OTOH, the scene was extremely effective, so I can't complain too much.  I'd give The Thing (1982) five stars out of five.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2014, 10:18:45 AM »

"Interstellar"

Loved it.  Yeah, it's overly melodramatic, and the characters cried too much, but I won't knock it too much for that.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2014, 10:45:49 AM »

"Interstellar"

Hated it.  It's overly melodramatic, and the characters cried too much, and that's a big knock in my book.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2014, 11:57:44 AM »

Interstellar

Despite a few goofy moments, I overall liked it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2014, 02:14:15 PM »

I'm seeing it this weekend. But it's sounding like Nolan might have forgotten how to make movies, after the disastrous failure that was The Dark Knight Rises and now this.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2014, 02:20:39 PM »

I'm seeing it this weekend. But it's sounding like Nolan might have forgotten how to make movies, after the disastrous failure that was The Dark Knight Rises and now this.

He's getting a little too serious and less mysterious. Every Nolan movie pre-TDKR was a detective story at heart. A mystery that the audience was not let in on. How did the Joker always manage to stay one step ahead? How did the magic trick in the Prestige work? What awaited them in the next dream level?

TDKR was "here is Bane. this is his plan, here he is in the sewers. look at all these bombs. here is everything that is going to happen. now enjoy 2 hours of Matthew Modine calling everyone a hothead until the plan goes into action." He didn't even go through the motions of having a plot where Catwoman and Joseph Gordon Levitt discover Bruce is Batman, they just seem to know for some reason.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2014, 02:28:28 PM »

I liked it better than The Dark Knight Rises. I think I also liked it better than Inception, actually. But not as much as The Dark Knight.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2014, 04:50:00 PM »

Seeing as I liked TDKR better than its predecessor, there's a good chance I'll like Interstellar when I see it this weekend.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies