The last movie you've seen thread 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:41:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 23
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2016  (Read 56382 times)
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: January 08, 2015, 07:44:06 PM »

Saw Whiplash tonight. It exceeded my expectations mainly because I had no real interest in the subject so the fact that it held my attention for the full length is an accomplishment in itself. The ending scene was kind of cool but went on a bit too long. I don't know if he needed a love interest.

I agree The Imitation Game does have some very convenient Oscarbait movie formula cliches in it, but Cumberbatch was so good I really sort of glossed over it while watching it. It wasn't until much after did I think back and realize "wow, that obviously did not happen."

I really have no intention of watching Whiplash despite the great reviews.  I understand the criticism for The Imitation Game but the film was very engaging, especially for someone like myself who doesn't know much about Turing's life.

Some films that I saw this year that I would recommend were:
Finding Vivian Meier
Under the skin
Only lovers left alive
Bella vita
Moon Indigo
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #126 on: January 09, 2015, 12:57:42 AM »
« Edited: January 09, 2015, 01:15:12 AM by Lief »

American Sniper

This is like the third movie I've seen this year (after Nightcrawler and Imitation Game) with a really, really fantastic lead performance carrying an otherwise mediocre or flawed film.

Also caught Mean Girls on the comedy central network and goddamn was Lindsay Lohan ca. 2004 fine.

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #127 on: January 09, 2015, 12:57:24 PM »

The Mean Girls girls always did it for me as well.

I watched The Grand Budapest Hotel last night on HBO.  Quirky.  It was a fantasy, or at least so fictitious that I had to suspend disbelief, but it was dryly humorous and captivating.  I'd watch it again.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #128 on: January 09, 2015, 01:58:41 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2015, 02:04:02 PM by Tzar and IDS Legislator X, Primate of Atlasia »

The Gambler

I only saw it because I was board and the screenplay was by the dude who wrote The Departed.  I expected it to be pretty meh, but it was surprisingly good.  Michael K. Williams' performance was easily the best part of the movie.  The female college student character was just sort of there for no clear reason and probably could've been cut out without the movie losing anything (although maybe that would've been considered too big a deviation from the source material; IDK since I wasn't too familiar with the story prior to seeing the film).  The movie's hardly perfect and the cinematography was especially problematic at times, but overall it was a pretty entertaining film with good acting by Williams, Goodman, and Wahlberg.  It's nice to occasionally stumble across a movie that wasn't even remotely on my radar and vastly exceeds my expectations in almost every way.

B+
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #129 on: January 09, 2015, 05:12:38 PM »

Twelve Angry Men

Fantastic. Already one of my favorites.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2015, 02:14:06 AM »
« Edited: January 12, 2015, 02:16:30 AM by Lief »

If you see one film about gay rights in Britain this year, definitely see Pride instead of The Imitation Game. Such a wonderful film. You're laughing and cheering for two hours and then bawling by the end. It's not maudlin or cheesy, but the emotional beats are really earned. And unlike the hatchet job done of Turing's life, this film takes many, many fewer liberties.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2015, 11:31:27 PM »

The Hobbit And The Battle Of The Five Armies
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #132 on: January 18, 2015, 11:32:53 AM »

In Bruges
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #133 on: January 18, 2015, 12:49:43 PM »

Rear Window
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #134 on: January 18, 2015, 06:43:13 PM »

Fury

It's like if Aldo Raine was played straight instead of comedic, there's one thing Brad Pitt's character does that's genuinely upsetting and a bunch of other things that definitely wouldn't be in military rules but most people probably wouldn't be upset by like with Dachau. At the end he's a completely awesome badass though. Pretty decent film overall, but really bleak and probably far more accurate than most WWII movies.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #135 on: January 18, 2015, 11:02:50 PM »

Inherent Vice

One of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. It certainly isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea though.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #136 on: January 20, 2015, 04:45:23 PM »

2001: A Space Odyssey

Certainly not the first time I saw it, but the first time I saw it in an actual theater.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #137 on: January 20, 2015, 05:27:19 PM »

Birdman:Or the Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance, loved it.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #138 on: January 20, 2015, 06:00:53 PM »

American Sniper.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #139 on: January 20, 2015, 06:10:26 PM »

Selma
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #140 on: January 20, 2015, 07:27:41 PM »

Over the past week I've watched Mulholland Drive and The Double Life of Véronique. They are both excellent.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #141 on: January 21, 2015, 04:47:32 AM »

Paddington.  Definitely aimed towards the kids, but adults should prove entertained by it as well and worth watching even if you don't have a kid to see it with.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #142 on: January 22, 2015, 01:20:36 PM »

I haven't seen American Sniper and I have no intention of seeing it either.  But is it really as bad as this review claims it is?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #143 on: January 22, 2015, 01:30:56 PM »

I haven't seen American Sniper and I have no intention of seeing it either.  But is it really as bad as this review claims it is?

No. I didn't really feel like it was propaganda. It's just bland and full of cliches from better war movies.

I really wish Spielberg had stayed on the project as director instead of Eastwood. He apparently didn't want to make it much of a biopic and instead wanted the entire film to focus on a part of the book where Kyle is in battle against an enemy sniper that he couldn't locate. He dropped because he couldn't agree on the budget. Much more interesting idea for a movie right there.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #144 on: January 22, 2015, 02:20:47 PM »

I haven't seen American Sniper and I have no intention of seeing it either.  But is it really as bad as this review claims it is?

No. I didn't really feel like it was propaganda. It's just bland and full of cliches from better war movies.

I really wish Spielberg had stayed on the project as director instead of Eastwood. He apparently didn't want to make it much of a biopic and instead wanted the entire film to focus on a part of the book where Kyle is in battle against an enemy sniper that he couldn't locate. He dropped because he couldn't agree on the budget. Much more interesting idea for a movie right there.

Well after reading your response I was curious of who wrote the script, and apparently it was written by a Buffy the Vampire Slayer actor.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #145 on: January 22, 2015, 06:04:22 PM »

Well after reading your response I was curious of who wrote the script, and apparently it was written by a Buffy the Vampire Slayer actor.

Not even a major character.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #146 on: January 22, 2015, 06:07:18 PM »

Spielberg was originally supposed to direct two mediocre films that came out this year: American Sniper and Interstellar! What might have been if he weren't replaced by the talentless hacks who ended up directing the two.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2015, 01:22:03 AM »

Spielberg was originally supposed to direct two mediocre films that came out this year: American Sniper and Interstellar! What might have been if he weren't replaced by the talentless hacks who ended up directing the two.

Haven't seen either of those movies but Chris Nolan is a talentless hack? He's definitely overrated by some but "talentless hack" is a bit much...
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #148 on: January 24, 2015, 12:26:21 AM »
« Edited: January 24, 2015, 12:52:34 AM by Lief »

Birdman is so f[inks]ing weird, but I really enjoyed it. Not sure it would hold up on a rewatch though. It's very well shot, and I love the score, and the acting is mostly pretty good, but I feel like there's not a lot of substance to the film, beyond the critique of modern Hollywood or whatever.

Haven't seen either of those movies but Chris Nolan is a talentless hack? He's definitely overrated by some but "talentless hack" is a bit much...

Hahah yeah, just being hyperbolic, old friend.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #149 on: January 24, 2015, 05:22:33 AM »

Birdman is so f[inks]ing weird, but I really enjoyed it. Not sure it would hold up on a rewatch though. It's very well shot, and I love the score, and the acting is mostly pretty good, but I feel like there's not a lot of substance to the film, beyond the critique of modern Hollywood or whatever.

Hahah yeah, just being hyperbolic, old friend.

I should know better!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies