The last movie you've seen thread 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:54:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 23
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2016  (Read 56381 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2015, 07:14:29 AM »

I haven't seen American Sniper and I have no intention of seeing it either.  But is it really as bad as this review claims it is?

No. I didn't really feel like it was propaganda. It's just bland and full of cliches from better war movies.

I really wish Spielberg had stayed on the project as director instead of Eastwood. He apparently didn't want to make it much of a biopic and instead wanted the entire film to focus on a part of the book where Kyle is in battle against an enemy sniper that he couldn't locate. He dropped because he couldn't agree on the budget. Much more interesting idea for a movie right there.

It's already been done - and pretty well.
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #151 on: January 24, 2015, 08:09:29 AM »

I saw Birdman today and I have to say I was a bit disappointed. It was well made and I enjoyed it, sure, but I found the filming style a bit gimmicky (though that may be my personal dislike of those sorts of moving takes). Apart from the style, I felt it lacked substance - the characters seemed very much types (the washed-up actor, the drug addict daughter) rather than real people, and I didn't feel it had much new or profound to say about Hollywood, fame, acting etc.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #152 on: January 24, 2015, 11:56:06 PM »

I'm just finished Her.

What in the world did I just watch?
That was something else. I've now watched all but Gravity from last year's BP nominees, and I think that may have been the worst, and I had no interest in even seeing Gravity. Now I may have to just to see if there is a bottom.

Nebraska > Dallas Buyers Club > Philomena > American Hustle > 12 Years A Slave > Captain Phillips > Wolf of Wall Street > Her.

I loved the first 3 and thoroughly enjoyed the next 3.

Now I'm really surprised Saving Mr. Banks didn't get nominated despite the Disney connections.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2015, 01:04:26 AM »

Yeah American Sniper was not that good.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #154 on: January 25, 2015, 01:26:44 AM »

I'm just finished Her.

What in the world did I just watch?
That was something else. I've now watched all but Gravity from last year's BP nominees, and I think that may have been the worst, and I had no interest in even seeing Gravity. Now I may have to just to see if there is a bottom.

Nebraska > Dallas Buyers Club > Philomena > American Hustle > 12 Years A Slave > Captain Phillips > Wolf of Wall Street > Her.

I loved the first 3 and thoroughly enjoyed the next 3.

Now I'm really surprised Saving Mr. Banks didn't get nominated despite the Disney connections.

Aw man, you didn't like Her? I feel like we've been pretty much on the same page as far as movie opinions since you've been posting here, so that's surprising. I found it really delightful and surprising. I especially loved the production design and costume design and was really bummed that it didn't win anything for that.

I agree though that Saving Mr. Banks was weirdly snubbed. 
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2015, 11:48:52 AM »

Aw man, you didn't like Her? I feel like we've been pretty much on the same page as far as movie opinions since you've been posting here, so that's surprising. I found it really delightful and surprising. I especially loved the production design and costume design and was really bummed that it didn't win anything for that.

I agree though that Saving Mr. Banks was weirdly snubbed. 

My brother watched it last night as well oddly enough and told me he loved it. We rarely agree on movies though, but given you, him and the critical acclaim, I may have to give that another try eventually. I think it was just too obscure. I was expecting something way deeper if they were going to force a concept like that.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #156 on: January 25, 2015, 11:51:12 AM »

I too really liked Her.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #157 on: January 25, 2015, 12:30:41 PM »

My issue with Saving Mr. Banks is that it makes The Imitation Game look like Lincoln in terms of historical accuracy, and its particular inaccuracies of choice pretty much constitute character assassination of P.L. Travers.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #158 on: January 25, 2015, 01:36:37 PM »

Frank

Pretty good.

To say Michael Fassbender runs away with it (even while under a mask for 90% of the movie) would be an understatement.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #159 on: January 25, 2015, 01:51:07 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2015, 01:52:44 PM by Antonio V »

Anyway, the last movie I've watched is actually Citizen Kane (online, obviously), and I wasn't disappointed at all. I usually have some difficulties enjoying really old movies, due to different storytelling convention from those I'm used to, but this one really kept me hooked up. It's produced a really fascinating and timeless character (who, BTW, is probably a far better person than the real William Randolph Hearst). I don't know if it's the best movie of all time (frankly I'm not sure it makes sense to even claim that there is a best movie of all times), but it's definitely an excellent film. Glad I've finally gotten around to watching it.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #160 on: January 26, 2015, 12:40:24 PM »

Finally got around to watching The Grand Budapest Hotel, as everyone seems to love it, and it seemed more palatable than Boyhood or the generic biopic crap that got nominated for Best Picture.

TGBH was my first Wes Anderson movie. His movies have never particularly interested me, though I've thought about watching Moonrise Kingdom. I have very mixed feelings about TGBH: while I found the characters charming and endearing and the story interesting enough if a bit bizarre, Anderson's cinematograhic style was incredibly oppressive. With every character always moving at right angles to the camera, everything symmetric, and the environment flat, I felt like everyone was a puppet being forced through some overbearing maze. I think that's kind of the point, what with his "dollhouse" style and all, but I just couldn't stand it. I felt claustrophobic and confined, just praying that someone would do something different or we'd get some other camera angle, but there was no relief to be had. Between that and the ridiculously bad effects at times (e.g. the ski chase), I can't say that it was an experience I'd want to have very many times.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #161 on: January 26, 2015, 01:21:03 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2015, 01:23:10 PM by Monarch »

I usually have some difficulties enjoying really old movies, due to different storytelling convention from those I'm used to, but this one really kept me hooked up.

I know what you mean. Citizen Kane's standing the test of time has a lot to do with it avoiding cliche Old Hollywood tropes.

Salt of the Earth is another great old film in that sense and a film economic leftists are sure to enjoy.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #162 on: January 31, 2015, 06:50:54 PM »

Inherent Vice (2014)

First trip to the cinema this year. Quite enjoyed it if the plot does not make a lot of sense (but since when does that matter). Josh Brolin is great in it.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #163 on: January 31, 2015, 10:01:03 PM »

Birdman. Would've shifted some of the character focus around, personally, but otherwise I loved it.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #164 on: January 31, 2015, 10:18:40 PM »

The Interview

Lame, and actually too stupid to be the "imperialist propaganda" I suspected it was before watching. From a quality standpoint, made a lot of jabs at everything but almost none of them hit the mark at all.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #165 on: February 01, 2015, 02:50:26 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2015, 03:57:02 PM by Antonio V »

The Imitation Game. I have no idea how historically accurate it is (though I definitely wouldn't be surprised if it took its liberties), but I liked it. I feel that watching Doug Walker's videos has made me a lot more cynical (or realistic) about movies, and I have to admit this movie was filled with all the clichés we've seen a million times. Still, some moments were really moving, especially the ending. And I must admit part of me is actually pleased that the character Turing is portrayed as (basically, the Asperger guy) is turning into a cliché. I think this could help raise awareness.

Also, am I the only one who for the first 20 minutes couldn't think anything else but "OMG that's Tywin Lannister playing the obstructive military officer! Cheesy".
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #166 on: February 01, 2015, 03:10:31 PM »

The Theory of Everything. Absolutely stunning, though Hawking's convictions and sense of humour were dialled back a bit.

I also saw Kingsman. A good Mark Millar romp as always.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #167 on: February 01, 2015, 03:56:27 PM »

I saw American Sniper last night with my boss and coworkers. It was just okay; didn't live up to either the hype or criticism.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #168 on: February 02, 2015, 05:19:22 AM »
« Edited: February 02, 2015, 05:26:52 AM by I want my friggin hoverboard! »

The Imitation Game

In theory, it's perhaps a good movie.

Unfortunately, I knew beforehand how much of a fairy tale the story is and it somehow spoiled the experience for me. The fact that Turing worked in cryptography during WWII and his homosexuality are probably the only things which were entirely historically accurate.

Turing didn't have Asperger or Autism (or at least not to the extent depicted here) and generally got along well with his colleagues at Bletchley Park. The latter also applies to Commander Denniston who was turned into an antagonist in the movie for dramatic purposes and even tries to get Turing arrested for espionage, all which is a complete fabrication (or for the lack of better term, a character assassination). Turing also probably never met MI6 chief Stewart Menzies or Soviet spy John Cairncross, and certainly didn't work with Cairncross on the same team.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #169 on: February 02, 2015, 05:32:43 AM »

The Imitation Game

In theory, it's perhaps a good movie.

Unfortunately, I knew beforehand how much of a fairy tale the story is and it somehow spoiled the experience for me. The fact that Turing worked in cryptography during WWII and his homosexuality are probably the only things which were entirely historically accurate.

Turing didn't have Asperger or Autism (or at least not to the extent depicted here) and generally got along well with his colleagues at Bletchley Park. The latter also applies to Commander Denniston who was turned into an antagonist in the movie for dramatic purposes and even tries to get Turing arrested for espionage, all which is a complete fabrication (or for the lack of better term, a character assassination). Turing also probably never met MI6 chief Stewart Menzies or Soviet spy John Cairncross, and certainly didn't work with Cairncross on the same team.

Wow yeah, that's pretty bad. I don't get why filmakers do these sorts of films. If you want to tell a fictional story, just tell a fictional story and don't use the names of real people.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #170 on: February 02, 2015, 05:54:29 AM »

Wow yeah, that's pretty bad. I don't get why filmakers do these sorts of films. If you want to tell a fictional story, just tell a fictional story and don't use the names of real people.

They probably should have placed a greater focus on his homosexuality, because that was really  the only thing which Turing made an outcast in real life.

The Turing from the movie is inaccurately depicted as being so much of a loner with extreme social difficulties you wonder how he ever managed to get laid in the first place, be it by a man or a woman. Tongue
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #171 on: February 03, 2015, 04:09:49 PM »

Just watched El Topo. Very bizarre.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #172 on: February 05, 2015, 01:56:58 AM »

The Act of Killing

Fascinating and extremely disturbing.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #173 on: February 07, 2015, 12:11:13 AM »

The Theory of Everything  - very, very good performances that held together a pretty mediocre by the numbers bio-pic.

Selma - Wow... it's been a VERY long time since I've been so impacted by a film. Of the BP nominees, that would have gotten my vote, kicking Grand Budapest and Birdman down to #s 2 and 3.

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #174 on: February 07, 2015, 01:45:18 AM »

Nocturna - a fun, visually interesting animation.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies