The last movie you've seen thread 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:15:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 23
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2016  (Read 56397 times)
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: July 04, 2015, 06:55:15 PM »

1776, a pretty good musical from 1972.
twistory123
Rookie
Peru

« Reply #276 on: July 04, 2015, 09:48:51 PM »

San Andreas
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #277 on: July 07, 2015, 04:33:00 PM »

Man on the Moon.

I did some research afterward, and was baffled to realize that nearly everything in it was 100% accurate. Andy Kaufman really was (is?) quite a character.

Also, it has two of my favorite songs, from my favorite band, in its soundtrack.
JohnRM
Rookie
United States

« Reply #278 on: July 07, 2015, 05:48:40 PM »

Thirteen Days.

In three hours, it will either have been National Lampoon's Vacation or Life, depending upon the company or lack thereof.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #279 on: July 13, 2015, 06:49:20 PM »

Jurassic World

Easily better than the preceding sequels, not quite as good as the original though.

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #280 on: July 13, 2015, 06:53:01 PM »

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

This was basically a perfect movie. 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #281 on: July 14, 2015, 04:32:58 PM »

I saw Gattaca last night.  Not bad.  I normally like science fiction, especially post-apocalyptic dystopia as in In Time, Mad Max, The Road, Logan's Run, Waterworld, and Wall-E.  Gattaca was sort of futuristic, but it was a bit too clean and much too overtly political.  Also, the early-60s suits, hairstyles, carstyles, and architecture were a bit of over-the-top kitsch.  Still, it was a decent watch.  It's from the late 90s.  I wonder why I'd never seen it before. 
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #282 on: July 22, 2015, 08:25:32 PM »

Ant-Man.

It really blew away my expectations. A great start to Marvel's Phase Three. I might post an extended review later, but it's fantastic. 8.5/10.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #283 on: July 29, 2015, 06:28:56 PM »

San Andreas

It was pretty good, and quite intense. 
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #284 on: August 02, 2015, 05:40:29 AM »

Over the past few days I've seen two very good romantic comedies, the 2010 Hindi film Band Baaja Baaraat and the 1953 classic Roman Holiday.

Band Baaja Baaraat is very long, very bright, but not at all frothy--at least, not after around the hour mark or so. I was worried for a while as I was watching it because the main conflict of the second half of the movie develops out of a really ill-advised sexual choice that the characters make just before the intermission, but unlike in a lot of romantic comedies is the direction the movie goes with this both comes across as psychologically realistic and affirms a lot of my values, so I appreciated that. Both lead actors (Anushka Sharma and Ranveer Singh) are immensely charismatic, and I came out of the movie wanting to be a wedding planner (the first half of the movie follows the establishment and initial success of the characters' wedding planning business; the second half features their falling-out, disastrous attempts at running separate businesses, and eventual reconciliation).

Roman Holiday is of course delightful, the fact that Gregory Peck is visibly too old for Audrey Hepburn notwithstanding. The main appeal of the film is of course its atmosphere, and to a slightly, but only slightly, lesser extent Hepburn's wonderfully engaging first major performance. I was a little bit surprised to learn that Dalton Trumbo['s front man] won a writing Oscar for this movie; the dialogue, while good, isn't necessarily hugely better than that in other movies of the same type and period, and isn't really a major part of what it's remembered for. When I thought about it more, though, I realized that, given that dialogue isn't the only part of a script, in this case the plot structure and the order to what the characters are made to do when are genuinely brilliant and probably what Trumbo['s front man] was getting recognized for.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #285 on: August 18, 2015, 01:11:45 PM »

MI: Rogue Nation

It was good, not quite as good as 1 and 4, but better than 2 and 3, still keeps me interested in the franchise. I hope they finally drop the whole "IMF is shut down and the agents are hunted (no pun intended) down by their own country" routine next time, though. It's starting to get old.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #286 on: August 18, 2015, 01:42:55 PM »

La Chinoise (1967)

Still very much on the fence on the whole Is-Godard-a-genius-or-total-crank debate. Definitely signs of both in this work. In saying that I probably misunderstood it as I felt he portrayed the Maoist students in a highly unsympathetic way.... yet later that year Weekend came out and so the beginning of Godard's 'Maoist' phase.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #287 on: August 18, 2015, 06:25:45 PM »

The Happening by M. Night Shyamalan...utterly hilarious for all the wrong reasons, but the kid actress was genuinely good.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #288 on: August 20, 2015, 09:50:15 PM »

Straight Outta Compton.

Pretty good film.
Gekkonidae
Rookie

« Reply #289 on: August 20, 2015, 11:37:04 PM »

The Langoliers
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #290 on: August 22, 2015, 10:00:44 AM »

Mistress America (2015)

A++++++ would watch again.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #291 on: August 23, 2015, 12:46:56 PM »

In the theater:

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation

Southpaw

Non-theater:

Fast Five

The Purge: Anarchy (most of it anyway, switched it off)

Divergent

In Bruges

The Gunman
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #292 on: August 23, 2015, 03:40:56 PM »

Full Metal Jacket

The first part is an absolute masterpiece in dark humor (and a perfect summary of why I'd rather die than join the military). The rest is OK, but not nearly as engaging, and the "serious" parts are hard to take seriously after all the comedy we've been fed. But it was worth it just to hear Paint it Black when the credits roll.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #293 on: August 23, 2015, 09:51:58 PM »

Fantastic 4. Chris Evans made it happen in 2004 with Torch. Movie is bland without him. And new Dr Doom was worse, too. Everyone wants to see DC comics Batman & Superman.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #294 on: August 24, 2015, 07:12:54 AM »

Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F

I don't really care for DBZ (except the Z-less Dragon Ball prequel) but I went with my other anime friends since this was a rare chance to see anime in a theatre.

It was pretty much what you'd expect from a DBZ movie, the second half was one long fight scene. It was fun seeing it though. It was a very Rocky Horror type atmosphere in the theatre. 
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #295 on: August 24, 2015, 10:16:23 AM »

In the Name of the Father, a movie on the Guildford Four, who were innocent people convicted of IRA bombings in 1974. Very interesting, and it made me read more on the Troubles.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #296 on: August 24, 2015, 11:49:49 AM »

In the Name of the Father, a movie on the Guildford Four, who were innocent people convicted of IRA bombings in 1974. Very interesting, and it made me read more on the Troubles.

I saw it a while back, it's really good. It really got to me emotionally, I was genuinely heartbroken and horrified.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #297 on: September 12, 2015, 10:59:32 PM »

Skyfall a week ago and Tim Burton's Ed Wood

The former might be the best Bond film with the Daniel Craig Bond, though not so much because of Bond who is rather low key and out of the picture for the first quarter of the movie anyway. No, its clearly Judi Dench and Javier Bardem who steal the show,and the new Moneypenny made a stunning entrance.

The logic is very shaky regarding the motive of the villain, but that doesn't really detract too much from the experience if you just write him off as prepared for anything.

Methinks B+ is in order for this one

And as for Ed Wood, stellar performances everywhere, especially from Martin Landau, Johnny Depp.

Excellent look into a guy that keeps trying and trying to make movies he wants to make, despite lacking any sort of talent and some socially deviant views regarding dress codes.

The overall optimistic and cheery tone is also very refreshing, but it all kinda makes the realities  all the more jarring (such as the real Ed Wood's drinking, or the sad decline of the real Bela Lugosi...or never even got an Oscar for anything, not even Dracula, he simply declined to nothingness)

Methinks an A for this one.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #298 on: September 12, 2015, 11:31:14 PM »

Watched American Psycho two nights ago.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #299 on: September 15, 2015, 12:48:50 AM »

The Great Gatsby (2013)

I liked it. Compelling story, great character exploration, and some truly moving moments. However, while I haven't read the book, I get the feeling that that the portrayal of Gatsby fails to grasp the character's nuance. Although his flaws are addressed, the movie still ends up largely praising Gatsby, making him into the innocent victim of society's prejudice and shallowness. From what I've heard, Fitzgerald insisted more on his severe character flaws, and made it explicit that these flaws are what brought about Gatsby's demise. I would have liked to see the movie take that angle. Still, judged on its own, the movie holds up.

As a side note, I was a bit surprised by the anachronistic style that this movie goes for (in the music, but not only), making it sometimes hard to believe it was really set in the 20s. It's too obvious not to have been intentional, and I don't really mind it, but it's weird.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies