The last movie you've seen thread 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:50:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 23
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2016  (Read 56327 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: May 07, 2016, 11:56:49 AM »

The following movie sounds worth watching:

10 Cloverfield Lane

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #351 on: July 17, 2016, 01:54:25 AM »

Independence Day 2 (it was just released here a few days ago, contrary to the US)

It wasn't really as bad as I thought it would be, reading all the reviews in the last weeks about how it bombed in the US. The cinema was relatively packed here ...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #352 on: July 17, 2016, 07:19:27 AM »

10 Cloverfield Lane

Well of course you'd like that, wouldn't you?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #353 on: July 17, 2016, 07:26:55 AM »

10 Cloverfield Lane

This is so transparent.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #354 on: July 17, 2016, 09:42:50 AM »

Nightmare on Elm Street (the original, obviously)

I gotta say, this was a disappointment.  I mean, it wasn't awful for what it was, but it was pretty unremarkable.  I'm not really sure why it's regarded as a classic.  *shrug* 

This was a pretty fun movie and was quite good for what it is (with one big exception that I'll get to later in this post, it's not even a particularly scary movie).  The highlights were Zelda Rubinstein's performance as some sort of medium/psychic (she gave such a great performance that you completely forget how ridiculous most of the exposition she has to deliver actually is) and the clown attack which was easily one of the most effective jump scares I've ever seen (which is all the more impressive when you consider that even while watching the scene, it's almost impossible not to see it coming well before it happens).  Oddly enough, this quickly leads to what might be the most adorable annihilation of a genuinely scary movie monster ever to appear in a horror film. 

The film also does quite a good job of letting the viewer know something bad is gonna happen and then having long normal/relaxing scenes which go on for quite awhile until you've lowered your guard just enough not to expect what happens next (even if you knew it was going to happen when the scene began).  I don't know if Tobe Hooper or Steven Spielberg was the real director (there's been some debate about this), but whoever it was did a great job.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #355 on: July 17, 2016, 09:49:05 AM »

Shrek 2 (2004)

Fantastic movie. A lot of great satire, funny jokes, and even a heartwarming message.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #356 on: July 17, 2016, 04:14:07 PM »

Finding Dory

Another excellent Pixar flick, already wrote what I had to say in an "Opinion of" thread.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #357 on: July 21, 2016, 01:54:05 AM »

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

great old film, very beautifully done, about a little girl and the struggles of her family.  Elia Kazan's first feature.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #358 on: July 21, 2016, 02:17:01 AM »

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

I had to watch it twice to understand it, but it's easily one of my favorite films. Endlessly rewatchable -- even when you aren't just doing it because you didn't get the plot the first time.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #359 on: July 21, 2016, 08:00:28 PM »

The Minus Man, with Owen Wilson

About a serial killer who sort of drifts into some town - Hijinks ensue. Couldn't find a movie I wanted to watch and bumped into this. I like dark movies and this one got 60% on RT, sooooo...! I'll tell ya though, Wilson is hot!
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #360 on: July 21, 2016, 08:31:00 PM »

Free state of Jones, surprisingly good.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #361 on: July 21, 2016, 11:12:44 PM »

The Hundred Foot Journey.

Watched it with my folks. Well made, charming, classy film. About Indians in France trying to start a restaurant going head-to-head with Helen Mirren's Michelin-rated hoity toity place across the street.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #362 on: July 23, 2016, 12:50:16 AM »

Rather enjoyed Star Trek Beyond. First of the reboot trilogy to feel like Star Trek and far better than Into Darkness, possibly better than the 2009 film.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #363 on: July 23, 2016, 01:31:19 AM »

Mike and Dave need a wedding date

Pleasantly surprised, comedies are always more enjoyable when you go in not expecting to laugh at all.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #364 on: July 23, 2016, 05:58:24 AM »

Rather enjoyed Star Trek Beyond. First of the reboot trilogy to feel like Star Trek and far better than Into Darkness, possibly better than the 2009 film.

That's very good to know. I had the same complaint about the first two.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #365 on: July 23, 2016, 06:36:21 AM »

Ghostbusters. A lot better than I thought it would be, highly recommend it.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

« Reply #366 on: July 24, 2016, 01:48:55 AM »

The Bourne Identity. Can't wait for the new one
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #367 on: July 24, 2016, 03:40:56 AM »

Clinton Cash

Thanks to the Breitbart screening.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #368 on: July 24, 2016, 03:52:46 AM »

Passanger 57
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #369 on: July 26, 2016, 10:21:33 PM »

I saw Star Trek Beyond and can confirm realisticidealist's impression of it.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #370 on: August 03, 2016, 02:02:56 PM »

I saw Star Trek Beyond and can confirm realisticidealist's impression of it.

This.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #371 on: August 03, 2016, 03:18:09 PM »

It's only coming out on August 17 in France, so I'm stuck with Suicide Squad or the new Independence Day. Ugghhhhhhh...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #372 on: August 04, 2016, 03:26:19 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2016, 03:54:52 PM by I did not see L.A. »

Well, in the absence of any really exciting movie, here are a few ranging from "fine" to "uggghhhh" I've seen recently.

The BFG: It's fun, harmless, kinda sweet at some points but nowhere near Inside Out or Big Hero 6. Can't stand the toilet humor, but it's fairly tame. Plot is basic. A bit of a letdown for a Spielberg movie, but all right.

Now You See Me 2: It's a lot of fun if you don't question all the ridiculous stuff. I've seen many critics focusing on all the incoherences and plot holes, but who cares? It's entertaining, visually interesting, and has fun characters. Morgan Freeman still rules.

Basic Instinct (seen on TV): I so wanted to like this movie. I love stories about ruthless manipulative sociopaths, and the fact that it's a woman for once is a great idea. Too bad that Douglas' character is a complete moron and asshole. I wouldn't have minded too much if he got what he "deserved" in the end, but somehow it turns into a lame "happy ever after" ending instead. The right ending would have been for him to get framed for the murders. I can't believe a "master of cinema" missed such an opportunity. Also far too many gratuitous and ridiculously overblown sex scenes, but I guess that's what people wanted to see. Meh.

Suicide Squad: This one I knew was gonna be awful ever since I saw the trailer, but still got talked into going to watch it. It's what I expected. Shallow, nihilistic, faux-edgy and clichéd. When you take out the basic premise of "bad guys saving the world" (which isn't handled well) it's the most generic action-movie plot ever. The reason for all the movie's events is that a woman had a really stupid idea (which is acknowledged even in the movie as a really stupid idea) and somehow everybody went along with it. There's a lot of creepy stuff that's just there to be SHOCKING, and no character is likable or interesting.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #373 on: August 04, 2016, 06:12:25 PM »

Well, in the absence of any really exciting movie, here are a few ranging from "fine" to "uggghhhh" I've seen recently.

The BFG: It's fun, harmless, kinda sweet at some points but nowhere near Inside Out or Big Hero 6. Can't stand the toilet humor, but it's fairly tame. Plot is basic. A bit of a letdown for a Spielberg movie, but all right.

Now You See Me 2: It's a lot of fun if you don't question all the ridiculous stuff. I've seen many critics focusing on all the incoherences and plot holes, but who cares? It's entertaining, visually interesting, and has fun characters. Morgan Freeman still rules.

Basic Instinct (seen on TV): I so wanted to like this movie. I love stories about ruthless manipulative sociopaths, and the fact that it's a woman for once is a great idea. Too bad that Douglas' character is a complete moron and asshole. I wouldn't have minded too much if he got what he "deserved" in the end, but somehow it turns into a lame "happy ever after" ending instead. The right ending would have been for him to get framed for the murders. I can't believe a "master of cinema" missed such an opportunity. Also far too many gratuitous and ridiculously overblown sex scenes, but I guess that's what people wanted to see. Meh.

Suicide Squad: This one I knew was gonna be awful ever since I saw the trailer, but still got talked into going to watch it. It's what I expected. Shallow, nihilistic, faux-edgy and clichéd. When you take out the basic premise of "bad guys saving the world" (which isn't handled well) it's the most generic action-movie plot ever. The reason for all the movie's events is that a woman had a really stupid idea (which is acknowledged even in the movie as a really stupid idea) and somehow everybody went along with it. There's a lot of creepy stuff that's just there to be SHOCKING, and no character is likable or interesting.

It's strongly implied that Michael Douglas' character is about to be murdered at the end of Basic Instinct.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #374 on: August 04, 2016, 07:32:23 PM »

Free State of Jones
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length