The last movie you've seen thread 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:44:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 23
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2016  (Read 56358 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: August 04, 2016, 10:21:17 PM »

Suicide Squad struck me as a movie that could not possibly work as a PG-13. If they went all out and made it a very hard R ala Deadpool then maybe.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #376 on: August 05, 2016, 04:46:22 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2016, 04:49:57 AM by I did not see L.A. »

It's strongly implied that Michael Douglas' character is about to be murdered at the end of Basic Instinct.

? She had two opportunities to kill him and didn't. I thought that implied the exact opposite.

Even then, I still think getting him framed would have been a lot more clever.

Suicide Squad struck me as a movie that could not possibly work as a PG-13. If they went all out and made it a very hard R ala Deadpool then maybe.

This could have helped, but above all it needed something to make us like or at least empathize with the characters. The only one who came close to that was the pyromancer (whose story was at least genuinely dark as opposed to "dark").
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #377 on: August 05, 2016, 05:35:51 AM »

It's strongly implied that Michael Douglas' character is about to be murdered at the end of Basic Instinct.

? She had two opportunities to kill him and didn't. I thought that implied the exact opposite.

Even then, I still think getting him framed would have been a lot more clever.

This could have helped, but above all it needed something to make us like or at least empathize with the characters. The only one who came close to that was the pyromancer (whose story was at least genuinely dark as opposed to "dark").

I think the makers of the film confirmed she was reaching for that ice pick at the end so she could kill him at the end.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #378 on: August 05, 2016, 05:40:43 AM »

Fair enough. I don't see the point of not showing it (in a movie that already had plenty of graphic violence anyway) if it wasn't to make the ending at least ambiguous.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #379 on: August 05, 2016, 08:36:44 AM »

Going to see Suicide Squad tonight. I had high hopes for it. Looks like I am probably going to be disappointed. :/
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #380 on: August 05, 2016, 08:53:22 AM »

Going to see Suicide Squad tonight. I had high hopes for it. Looks like I am probably going to be disappointed. :/

Hey, it's just my opinion. Don't let yourself be influenced. Wink
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #381 on: August 05, 2016, 09:24:47 PM »

FWIW, there was a sequel which by all accounts was terrible and thus no one saw it and everyone's forgotten about it but when since Michael Douglas' character is not seen or even mentioned in it that was asked of Sharon Stone in an interview, and she said it was because it was pretty much agreed by everyone involved that he's dead. But it had none of the original writers or director involved.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #382 on: August 06, 2016, 07:24:36 AM »

Fair enough. I don't see the point of not showing it (in a movie that already had plenty of graphic violence anyway) if it wasn't to make the ending at least ambiguous.

Completely agree
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #383 on: August 06, 2016, 08:43:48 AM »

I really enjoyed suicide squad. There are a lot of fair complaints about it, but it was still quite fun.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #384 on: August 06, 2016, 09:21:00 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2016, 11:39:29 AM by I did not see L.A. »

I really enjoyed suicide squad. There are a lot of fair complaints about it, but it was still quite fun.

Oh well, good for you. Tongue

Edit: Didn't mean to sound sarcastic or judgmental. Everything is subjective and I'm certainly not an authority in terms of movie taste (let's talk about the Star Wars prequels again? Tongue).
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #385 on: August 06, 2016, 12:26:06 PM »

Finding Dory.

I was pleased it was a bit of a buddy/chase film. One of the better Pixar sequels.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #386 on: August 06, 2016, 01:40:34 PM »

Last movie I saw was The Witch. I thought it was visually very well done and the tension was very exciting, but the ending was poorly done and sucked the life out of the whole story for me.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #387 on: August 20, 2016, 12:40:07 PM »

May Averroes forgive my indolence, I went to see Ghostbusters yesterday. And it was perfectly fine. It had more than its fair share of funny jokes (the gross-out humor was annoying, but it wasn't too bad), had a fairly basic plot but with enough variations on it as to make it worth following, and likable characters. It also made the right decision in not pushing its "girl power" message, which would have made it ring hollow and cynical. Instead, it told more or less the same story it would have told with male characters, but with female ones - and I think that's exactly what's needed. A movie doesn't need to have a profound message to advance feminist causes, sometimes it just needs to be itself. So in a way it's kind of brilliant in its mediocrity.

And I really can't possibly understand why it would elicit any visceral hate for any reason other than sexism.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #388 on: August 20, 2016, 02:03:43 PM »

May Averroes forgive my indolence, I went to see Ghostbusters yesterday. And it was perfectly fine. It had more than its fair share of funny jokes (the gross-out humor was annoying, but it wasn't too bad), had a fairly basic plot but with enough variations on it as to make it worth following, and likable characters. It also made the right decision in not pushing its "girl power" message, which would have made it ring hollow and cynical. Instead, it told more or less the same story it would have told with male characters, but with female ones - and I think that's exactly what's needed. A movie doesn't need to have a profound message to advance feminist causes, sometimes it just needs to be itself. So in a way it's kind of brilliant in its mediocrity.

And I really can't possibly understand why it would elicit any visceral hate for any reason other than sexism.
It's actually about ethics in Ghost bustin'.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #389 on: August 21, 2016, 05:09:58 PM »

Rather enjoyed Star Trek Beyond. First of the reboot trilogy to feel like Star Trek and far better than Into Darkness, possibly better than the 2009 film.

Finally got off my butt and saw it.  Good Bones-Spock interaction and it was nice that they let Bones be a badass in this and not just a doctor.  The missus (who's a hardcore Trekkie) appreciated the fact that the crew of the Franklin (seen in video) were wearing "old-school" Star Trek outfits (from the 60s TV show).  Space-time continuum is always a tricky thing in the Star Trek universe.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #390 on: August 21, 2016, 05:13:32 PM »

Can't wait to see Star Trek Beyond. You guys have really built it up for me.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #391 on: August 29, 2016, 04:25:26 AM »

So I finally did see Star Trek Beyond and I completely agree with RI and Nathan. If anything, they might have undersold it! It's really good. The characters feel like their original counterparts, the comedy is fantastic, the conflict is powerful in its simplicity, and you get a great sense of how the characters can do anything when they work together. I thought the villain was the movie's main weak spot... until that twist. With it, he's absolutely perfect. This is exactly the sort of story Star Trek exists to tell.

I'd say it's probably the 3rd best Star Trek movie ever.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #392 on: August 29, 2016, 09:57:18 AM »

Hands of Stone, a choppy fever dream that had me laughing.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #393 on: August 29, 2016, 01:46:21 PM »

The Dark Knight for like the fourth time. That movie is amazing.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #394 on: August 29, 2016, 02:01:37 PM »

Reluctantly watched Sausage Party. Had some funny moments. It might have been late, but at the end I was begging for it to finally be over.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #395 on: September 09, 2016, 07:19:44 PM »

Quite appropriately in light of the recent discussions, the movie I saw on the plane was The Nice Guys.

It was all right. The comedy was top-notch, a lot better than it usually is in this kind of movies. Othe than that, though, the movie felt shallow and without depth. There's never any reason to care about any of the characters, or the stakes of the plot. It could have worked a lot better if it took the approach of Snatch, which deliberately parodies the stakes, but instead it seems to half-assedly try to make us care about it, and it fails.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #396 on: September 10, 2016, 11:20:42 AM »

Saw Suicide Squad. sh**t sucked. Margot Robbie was fun.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #397 on: November 04, 2016, 11:54:37 PM »

Hacksaw Ridge is easily my favorite film of the year so far.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #398 on: November 05, 2016, 12:00:58 AM »

Hacksaw Ridge is easily my favorite film of the year so far.
That is actually the first movie aside from the annual Dead show that I will see this entire year in the theaters. I'm really excited about that.

Watched Sausage Party on Popcorn Time the other day. It was an abortion. It was literally the type of movie my five year cousin Abby would watch, besides the lesbian taco and the gratuitous use of the F-word.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #399 on: November 05, 2016, 12:30:36 AM »

Just re-watched The Godfather, Part II for the first time since I was a kid.

Gotta say, it's not quite as good as I remembered it, and certainly not as good as the first.

Don't get me wrong, the acting is still top-notch, and Coppola directed the hell out of it. But ultimately [and ironically considering the subject of this fora], the Senate hearings were just so tedious. I cannot remember anything like that in the first part.

Also, Lee Strasberg's portrayal of Roth feels somewhat telegraphed when clearly he's supposed to be devious.

All of the Vito flashbacks were flawless though.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies