The last movie you've seen thread 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:11:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2016  (Read 56408 times)
Enduro
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: December 29, 2016, 12:43:24 PM »

Creed, that was such an amazing film. Just when I think "they can't possibly make another good Rocky film, they've exhausted the material" boom! One of the best in the franchise.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #451 on: January 01, 2017, 07:45:03 PM »

Rogue One. I liked it. I really appreciated all the nods to A New Hope, which never felt forced and actually made you believe that the story took place in the same universe despite it taking a different turn. The characters weren't particularly memorable, but sufficiently interesting to stay with them for a movie. The idea of force-worshippers who try to follow the Jedi's path and manage to be quite badass despite not possessing their abilities is really interesting. I enjoyed all the scenes of political squabbling among Empire officers, and what little we saw of Darth Vader was on par with his past performances.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #452 on: January 01, 2017, 10:40:32 PM »

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Great movie, but low-energy Netflix is taking it off! Sad!
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #453 on: January 01, 2017, 11:05:46 PM »

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Great movie, but low-energy Netflix is taking it off! Sad!
Now you know how I feel about Quantum Leap. Wink

Anyway, The Secret Life of Pets
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #454 on: January 02, 2017, 11:44:00 AM »

I didn't see any movies in 2016..........or in 2015 come to think of it.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #455 on: January 02, 2017, 01:30:11 PM »

The Lego Movie, on a plane

Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #456 on: January 02, 2017, 03:01:44 PM »

I didn't see any movies in 2016..........or in 2015 come to think of it.

I'm sorry.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #457 on: January 02, 2017, 03:04:02 PM »

I've never been a movie fan.......I've probably seen less than a handful in the last 10 years.....so all these "stars" , I haven't heard of, mostly.  Sad
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #458 on: January 02, 2017, 09:55:39 PM »

Carol.

A film about some lesbians who could not have custody of children in the 1950's because of their sexual orientation.

Was quite a good film.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #459 on: January 02, 2017, 11:38:14 PM »

Snowden (2016)

and if I were to post here in 3~ hours, it would be:

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #460 on: January 08, 2017, 12:28:44 PM »

Stranger than Fiction: Really charming and kinda sweet. The "guy with a boring existence starts a new life" trope has been done to death, but everything else is very creative. I love movies that make bizarre premises work.

In the Loop: Second time I watch it, still one of my favorite comedies ever. No doubt, politics is a "difficult, difficult, lemon difficult" job!

Spy: A lot of good, mindless fun.

Ben-Hur: God what an utter load of crap. All the characters are lifeless cardboard cutouts with utterly stupid motivations and the plot is ridden with clichés. All this film did was making me desperately want to see the "What have the Romans ever done for us?" scene from Life of Brian again.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #461 on: January 10, 2017, 12:06:12 AM »

Gods of Egypt made me feel like I was watching a big-budget Saturday morning anime or something. It's complete rubbish, but I kinda loved it.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #462 on: January 10, 2017, 07:13:22 AM »

Just watched Don't Breathe (2016).

That was worth a watch.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #463 on: January 10, 2017, 07:41:42 AM »
« Edited: January 10, 2017, 07:44:48 AM by Malcolm X »

La La Land - I went in really wanting to like this movie and left thinking "wait...that's it?  What's so great about that?"  The was a lot to like/admire on a technical level, it was confidently directed, and the music was good...but the whole thing felt empty b/c it wasn't really about anything beyond the bare-bones minimum plot necessary to even have a movie.  I guess the end could've worked, but the little montage Mia had dragged on way too long and eventually I just felt like "yes, yes, yes you're very sad and conflicted; we get it, can I please go home now?"  I also liked the fight at Sebastian's apartment b/c it was the only time I was truly invested in the story since - drumroll please - there were actually dramatic stakes for a conflict that didn't get perfectly resolved after two minutes.  Also, while Stone and Gosling both brought a great deal of charisma to their roles (as did J.K. Simmons in a small role), they were basically playing one-note stock types rather than actual characters and I often felt like I was watching "Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone fall in love and worry about whether they're talented/attractive/self-confident/whatever enough to make it in Hollywood: The Movie."  This felt a lot like Singin' in the Rain and I don't mean that as a compliment.  Solid C

Fences - This was basically a filmed play and would've been much better on Broadway.  That said, the acting (especially by Denzel Washinton, Viola Davis, and Mykelti Williamson) is absolutely incredible and I'll be shocked if Davis doesn't win best supporting actress at the Oscars.  B/B- but it'd probably be a B+/A- if I saw the play instead with the same cast.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #464 on: January 10, 2017, 01:56:15 PM »

La La Land - I went in really wanting to like this movie and left thinking "wait...that's it?  What's so great about that?"  The was a lot to like/admire on a technical level, it was confidently directed, and the music was good...but the whole thing felt empty b/c it wasn't really about anything beyond the bare-bones minimum plot necessary to even have a movie.  I guess the end could've worked, but the little montage Mia had dragged on way too long and eventually I just felt like "yes, yes, yes you're very sad and conflicted; we get it, can I please go home now?"  I also liked the fight at Sebastian's apartment b/c it was the only time I was truly invested in the story since - drumroll please - there were actually dramatic stakes for a conflict that didn't get perfectly resolved after two minutes.  Also, while Stone and Gosling both brought a great deal of charisma to their roles (as did J.K. Simmons in a small role), they were basically playing one-note stock types rather than actual characters and I often felt like I was watching "Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone fall in love and worry about whether they're talented/attractive/self-confident/whatever enough to make it in Hollywood: The Movie."  This felt a lot like Singin' in the Rain and I don't mean that as a compliment.  Solid C

Fences - This was basically a filmed play and would've been much better on Broadway.  That said, the acting (especially by Denzel Washinton, Viola Davis, and Mykelti Williamson) is absolutely incredible and I'll be shocked if Davis doesn't win best supporting actress at the Oscars.  B/B- but it'd probably be a B+/A- if I saw the play instead with the same cast.

It was a play, with mostly the same cast, in 2010. Denzel directed it too. I'd like to see it.

I watched "Jason Bourne" over the weekend. Goddamn, that series has gotten dumb. What a waste of 2 hours
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #465 on: January 10, 2017, 02:37:20 PM »

La La Land - I went in really wanting to like this movie and left thinking "wait...that's it?  What's so great about that?"  The was a lot to like/admire on a technical level, it was confidently directed, and the music was good...but the whole thing felt empty b/c it wasn't really about anything beyond the bare-bones minimum plot necessary to even have a movie.  I guess the end could've worked, but the little montage Mia had dragged on way too long and eventually I just felt like "yes, yes, yes you're very sad and conflicted; we get it, can I please go home now?"  I also liked the fight at Sebastian's apartment b/c it was the only time I was truly invested in the story since - drumroll please - there were actually dramatic stakes for a conflict that didn't get perfectly resolved after two minutes.  Also, while Stone and Gosling both brought a great deal of charisma to their roles (as did J.K. Simmons in a small role), they were basically playing one-note stock types rather than actual characters and I often felt like I was watching "Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone fall in love and worry about whether they're talented/attractive/self-confident/whatever enough to make it in Hollywood: The Movie."  This felt a lot like Singin' in the Rain and I don't mean that as a compliment.  Solid C

I agree with all of that, the only difference is that I enjoyed Singin' in the Rain a bit more.

Also seconding Meclazine on Don't Breathe.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #466 on: January 10, 2017, 03:25:30 PM »

Heat
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #467 on: January 11, 2017, 01:47:36 PM »

Does Jim Gaffigan: Cinco count?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #468 on: January 13, 2017, 06:20:04 AM »

Nocturnal Animals
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #469 on: January 14, 2017, 02:04:47 PM »

Managed to finally see Silence. It's a beast of a film that really delves into some quite interesting theological questions. I generally liked it, but it's going to take time to sink in. As a Catholic, I really identified with Yōsuke Kubozuka's character, even if I'd rather be Shinya Tsukamoto's character.

I preferred Hacksaw Ridge, but other than having Andrew Garfield and religious characters, they're so different that it's hard to compare. The former's much more uplifting and fast-paced compared to Silence, but it's not nearly as hard-hitting on a personal level.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #470 on: January 14, 2017, 02:29:19 PM »

Kichijiro was apparently the character Endō identified most with too, fwiw.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #471 on: January 16, 2017, 04:03:06 PM »

Of Mice and Men with Gary Sinise and John Malkovich. Never read the book, but I've heard it's a very faithful adaptation of it, and I believe it.  I can't fauly it at all in terms of its literary  or cinematographic character. At the end of the movie my thought was "dang, that's depressing, and maybe a little messed up."  Overnight and the next day thinking about it I appreciated it more though. It does have its aspects of beauty and tenderness, and is thought provoking about how to protect the things and people that matter in our lives.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #472 on: January 20, 2017, 04:05:46 AM »

Manchester by the Sea

Probably the most depressing movie of the year.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #473 on: January 20, 2017, 09:05:54 AM »

Saw Moonlight (Dec. 30) and Naruda (Dec. 31).
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #474 on: January 20, 2017, 10:50:25 AM »

Finally saw The Accountant ... entertaining enough, but the end was just bizarrely mellow, LOL.  Not a huge fan.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies