The last movie you've seen thread 2016 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:47:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2016 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2016  (Read 56504 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: July 21, 2016, 11:12:44 PM »

The Hundred Foot Journey.

Watched it with my folks. Well made, charming, classy film. About Indians in France trying to start a restaurant going head-to-head with Helen Mirren's Michelin-rated hoity toity place across the street.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 11:46:39 PM »

Last movie in theaters: Allied. It was "ok". Entertaining enough. Can't hold a candle to Hacksaw Ridge

Last movie at home: Bad Santa. Is your grandma... spry?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 01:56:15 PM »

La La Land - I went in really wanting to like this movie and left thinking "wait...that's it?  What's so great about that?"  The was a lot to like/admire on a technical level, it was confidently directed, and the music was good...but the whole thing felt empty b/c it wasn't really about anything beyond the bare-bones minimum plot necessary to even have a movie.  I guess the end could've worked, but the little montage Mia had dragged on way too long and eventually I just felt like "yes, yes, yes you're very sad and conflicted; we get it, can I please go home now?"  I also liked the fight at Sebastian's apartment b/c it was the only time I was truly invested in the story since - drumroll please - there were actually dramatic stakes for a conflict that didn't get perfectly resolved after two minutes.  Also, while Stone and Gosling both brought a great deal of charisma to their roles (as did J.K. Simmons in a small role), they were basically playing one-note stock types rather than actual characters and I often felt like I was watching "Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone fall in love and worry about whether they're talented/attractive/self-confident/whatever enough to make it in Hollywood: The Movie."  This felt a lot like Singin' in the Rain and I don't mean that as a compliment.  Solid C

Fences - This was basically a filmed play and would've been much better on Broadway.  That said, the acting (especially by Denzel Washinton, Viola Davis, and Mykelti Williamson) is absolutely incredible and I'll be shocked if Davis doesn't win best supporting actress at the Oscars.  B/B- but it'd probably be a B+/A- if I saw the play instead with the same cast.

It was a play, with mostly the same cast, in 2010. Denzel directed it too. I'd like to see it.

I watched "Jason Bourne" over the weekend. Goddamn, that series has gotten dumb. What a waste of 2 hours
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 10:47:53 PM »

I watched A Fish Called Wanda again last weekend. Always a good watch
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies