The last movie you've seen thread 2016 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:04:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2016 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2016  (Read 56661 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: July 27, 2014, 04:52:18 PM »

Lucy

Even I with all my crazy thoughts never got the idea "Hey what if someone combined Limitless and The Tree of Life?" but apparently Luc Besson did.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 03:32:37 PM »

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy. I didn't think it was very good objectively speaking, but Lord was it a blast! I enjoyed it more than any other Marvel movie other than perhaps the second Captain America (which I also maintain is artistically the best).

Lucy

Even I with all my crazy thoughts never got the idea "Hey what if someone combined Limitless and The Tree of Life?" but apparently Luc Besson did.

Besson's work is really hit (Léon)-and-miss (The Messenger) for me. Would you say you liked Lucy, overall?

EDIT: For some reason I didn't realize that Taken was a Besson flick. That makes entirely too much sense.

About halfway through you realize that it's so ridiculous it shouldn't be taken seriously at all and then it becomes more enjoyable. It's not an at all plausible sci-fi movie, which is only a factor if you care that much about it. Knowing that I enjoyed it.

A lot of negative reviews seem to be coming from people who either: 1-couldn't accept this or 2-expected a pure action movie.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 06:55:36 PM »

Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

A letdown, but honestly what movie couldn't be after that wait? I have no clue why it took nine years. That said the main story was the weakest, I was more intrigued by Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character and story (and he had by far the best performance), the other one was interesting but opened some plotholes in conjunction with the first...definitely say see it but don't expect the first. Also the first movie I actually saw in 3D believe it or not (usually try to avoid that but the only showing I could make) and while I didn't exactly hate it or anything I thought it was pretty unnecessary and didn't add anything though it didn't detract much either.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 10:13:33 PM »

The Equalizer

Not what I expected at all, and I mean that in a very good way. Antoine Fuqua has proven himself to be a very capable action director many times and that's what I was expecting here. But this is not along the lines of Olympus Has Fallen or any other film he's done, it's a very slow moving and artsy type of action movie, think Drive. FYI it's just as graphically violent as well. For a movie based on a cult 80s show, though with virtually nothing in common aside from the protagonist's name, it was a big surprise.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 11:18:59 PM »

A Most Wanted Man

If you're familiar with the director's other work, then you'll know why this isn't for everyone. It's actually a very action-less movie for the most part and isn't even really a Law & Order or CSI style procedural either, it's mostly about people. It's slow but can be interesting and rewarding, Hoffman was fantastic, it was another one of his roles that he just totally blended into and was totally believable as someone in Germany intelligence. One rather silly thing about it is that all the allegedly German characters still spoke English to each other and in fact there wasn't a single line of German in the film. Expected with an English-speaking writer and mostly American cast, but still...

Hoffman really shined at the ending too, and it makes you miss him all the more.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 08:07:06 PM »

Is Interstellar worth seeing in a non-IMAX theater?

Saw it in IMAX. I'd recommend it especially as its what it was filmed for.

Also Interstellar has to be one of the strangest and non-conventional movies I've ever seen as a mainstream release especially with the stuff near the end...the only director who seems to be able to make these type of movies with the huge budgets required is Nolan since Inception was in the same boat.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 07:08:30 PM »

My biggest problem with Interstellar was (highlight to read major spoilers): The revelation that most of the movie was due to manipulation by future humans to allow the humans of the time to ensure their survival. That stable time loop crap never makes sense and it was kind of silly to see it in a "harder" sci-fi movie.

But otherwise yeah, one hell of a movie to see in the theater. I might catch it at the cheap theater in a second run too.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 08:59:41 PM »

I'm quite familiar with that short story, but it's clear it was written with kind of a wink and even lampshades the absurdity at the end.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 06:43:13 PM »

Fury

It's like if Aldo Raine was played straight instead of comedic, there's one thing Brad Pitt's character does that's genuinely upsetting and a bunch of other things that definitely wouldn't be in military rules but most people probably wouldn't be upset by like with Dachau. At the end he's a completely awesome badass though. Pretty decent film overall, but really bleak and probably far more accurate than most WWII movies.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 01:59:43 PM »

Interesting take on Jupiter Ascending. http://www.dailydot.com/geek/jupiter-ascending-female-audience

To be fair if the comparison is correct and it's basically to women what the Transformers movies are to teenage boys that doesn't speak highly of it either. No doubt better than Fifty Shades of Grey though.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 08:25:02 PM »

I'm under the impression it's very much in the "Crosses The Line Twice" style of Kick-Ass.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 11:13:41 AM »

V/H/S: Viral

It was really disappointing and not much like the last two. For starters the wraparound had nothing to do with the segments which kind of defeats the purpose of the V/H/S series. The three segments also weren't all that good, the first was more like something from a Twilight Zone revival episode or some high school version of Are You Afraid of the Dark?, the second had a really cool premise but by the end just got so ridiculous with some things it was impossible to take seriously, and the third was something that could've been an interesting premise but wasn't really V/H/S worthy, it's more of a found footage action film short. There's a fourth that was cut making me wonder how low quality it was, and the wraparound was pretty dumb for the most part. Bad misstep for the series.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 10:26:54 PM »

Paranormal Activity was a fun movie to watch in a half-full theater on a late fall night several years ago.

Watched in any other context it's beyond hideously boring.

Also the IMDB boards at the time of its release were some of the most disgusting things on the net at the time, since about half of the discussion was about how the lead actress was "so fat".
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 10:30:21 PM »

The first two V/H/S movies are probably the best two horror films of recent years and are still quite watchable even outside the original context.

For a non-anthology film, Sinister was very good, although I never saw the sequel as the reviews were atrocious.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 10:21:17 PM »

Suicide Squad struck me as a movie that could not possibly work as a PG-13. If they went all out and made it a very hard R ala Deadpool then maybe.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 09:24:47 PM »

FWIW, there was a sequel which by all accounts was terrible and thus no one saw it and everyone's forgotten about it but when since Michael Douglas' character is not seen or even mentioned in it that was asked of Sharon Stone in an interview, and she said it was because it was pretty much agreed by everyone involved that he's dead. But it had none of the original writers or director involved.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies