The last movie you've seen thread 2016 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:16:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2016 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2016  (Read 56460 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: December 28, 2014, 02:35:46 AM »

The Prince of Egypt

I had seen it once before,but only bits and pieces not all the way through. Really makes me wish Dreamworks was doing 2D Animation again.

@angus: I forgot that even had a movie adaptation, but the book was an excellent read back in High School.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 10:56:17 PM »

Big Hero 6

Decent comedy, excellent animation and voice-acting, but ultimately it was the blatantly clear San Francisco look that I got lost in...even though it was supposed to be a hybrid of San Francisco and Tokyo.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 12:49:43 PM »

Rear Window
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 05:00:06 PM »

Gladiator: Excellent performances from Crowe and Phoenix, and it reminded how sad things are without Richard Harris.

Really managed to make all the characters really come out when the script gives them some pretty flat characterizations (sans Commodus that is who was actually decently layered)

And the action scenes were quite impressive.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 12:38:08 PM »

His Girl Friday for class.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 06:49:30 PM »

Interstellar for a homework assignment.

...Easily Nolan's best work, simultaneously mind-blowing, terrifying, and sad all in one.....
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 09:31:50 PM »
« Edited: April 04, 2015, 10:55:01 PM by L.D. Smith, Knight of Appalachia »

...?

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 07:00:54 PM »

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy, The Bucket List, and 22 Jump Street.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 10:00:52 PM »

I finally got around to seeing Inside Out, it's safe to say that not only is Pixar back, but back with a vengeance.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 06:04:00 PM »

Re-watched Independence Day, which I do every Independence Day.

It's a guilty pleasure I guess you could say.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 06:49:20 PM »

Jurassic World

Easily better than the preceding sequels, not quite as good as the original though.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 06:25:45 PM »

The Happening by M. Night Shyamalan...utterly hilarious for all the wrong reasons, but the kid actress was genuinely good.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 10:59:32 PM »

Skyfall a week ago and Tim Burton's Ed Wood

The former might be the best Bond film with the Daniel Craig Bond, though not so much because of Bond who is rather low key and out of the picture for the first quarter of the movie anyway. No, its clearly Judi Dench and Javier Bardem who steal the show,and the new Moneypenny made a stunning entrance.

The logic is very shaky regarding the motive of the villain, but that doesn't really detract too much from the experience if you just write him off as prepared for anything.

Methinks B+ is in order for this one

And as for Ed Wood, stellar performances everywhere, especially from Martin Landau, Johnny Depp.

Excellent look into a guy that keeps trying and trying to make movies he wants to make, despite lacking any sort of talent and some socially deviant views regarding dress codes.

The overall optimistic and cheery tone is also very refreshing, but it all kinda makes the realities  all the more jarring (such as the real Ed Wood's drinking, or the sad decline of the real Bela Lugosi...or never even got an Oscar for anything, not even Dracula, he simply declined to nothingness)

Methinks an A for this one.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 04:14:07 PM »

Finding Dory

Another excellent Pixar flick, already wrote what I had to say in an "Opinion of" thread.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 02:02:56 PM »

I saw Star Trek Beyond and can confirm realisticidealist's impression of it.

This.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2016, 12:30:36 AM »

Just re-watched The Godfather, Part II for the first time since I was a kid.

Gotta say, it's not quite as good as I remembered it, and certainly not as good as the first.

Don't get me wrong, the acting is still top-notch, and Coppola directed the hell out of it. But ultimately [and ironically considering the subject of this fora], the Senate hearings were just so tedious. I cannot remember anything like that in the first part.

Also, Lee Strasberg's portrayal of Roth feels somewhat telegraphed when clearly he's supposed to be devious.

All of the Vito flashbacks were flawless though.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 12:06:31 AM »

Shouldn't this be updated to 2017?

Anyway, rewatched the Jim Carrey version of A Series of Unfortunate Events, it's better than I remember it.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2017, 03:43:53 AM »

I just watched Kubrick's The Shining last night for the first time since shortly after its release in 1980. I find that it's still a masterpiece of suspense as is Jack Nickolson's portrayal of descent into madness.

What descent? He was already mad to begin with.

That's why Stephen King hated it, because it FAILED at portraying a real descent, there's just so little development of any sort at all...except for maybe Danny.

Also, Wendy was annoying.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2017, 12:45:39 AM »

Logan

Excellent pacing, gorgeous visuals, great performances all around...including a mind-blowing one from a 10 year old girl. Truly a fantastic swan song for Hugh Jackman's Wolverine.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2017, 10:32:02 PM »

Dunkirk

Controversial, but this is a step-down from Interstellar. However, it is also not trying to do much besides depict the events, and in that respect, it succeeded mostly....Except there was one death that wasn't actually needed at all, and was executed badly ("But Mr. Smith", you say, "it's a war movie, of course there's deaths and reality isn't realistic", trust me there's context for this annoyance), and there was an extra 5 seconds at the end not worth anything either. Besides that, excellent performances, amazing cinematography and overall visuals, just a bit lacking when it came to narrative. But the lack of expository dialogue is a welcome change.

Grade: A-
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies