The last movie you've seen thread 2016 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:52:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2016 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2016  (Read 56438 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: August 09, 2014, 04:40:57 PM »

A Touch of Sin (2013).
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 05:12:03 PM »

I just finished watching Blade Runner: The Final Cut. I had seen the director cut already.

There's a remarkable new layer to it with all the police excessive force scandal in the news.  Unintentional given it's age but still all I could think was "if Rutger Hauer were replaced with a black actor, this would be biting social commentary for today."

Highly recommend for those who haven't seen it,  and for those who have as well to view it from that angle.

The message is timeless really, while the mis-en-scene is delightfully early 80s kitsch.

Nightcrawler is typical Hollywood... glorification of the Worst under the guise of Satire.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 09:54:34 PM »

No Way Out (1987). Still a goodie, but it seems a bit homophobic now...
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 01:31:19 AM »

Mike and Dave need a wedding date

Pleasantly surprised, comedies are always more enjoyable when you go in not expecting to laugh at all.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 05:37:37 PM »

Arrival - now my favorite sci fi film after Blade Runner and Nerve.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 03:12:58 PM »

Moonlight and The Edge of Seventeen
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 08:25:01 PM »

Rogue One. Yes it was better than TFA although I enjoyed the latter as well and there were some over the top criticisms of TFA; I had to agree that Starkiller Base in TFA was a bad idea.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 02:37:20 PM »

La La Land - I went in really wanting to like this movie and left thinking "wait...that's it?  What's so great about that?"  The was a lot to like/admire on a technical level, it was confidently directed, and the music was good...but the whole thing felt empty b/c it wasn't really about anything beyond the bare-bones minimum plot necessary to even have a movie.  I guess the end could've worked, but the little montage Mia had dragged on way too long and eventually I just felt like "yes, yes, yes you're very sad and conflicted; we get it, can I please go home now?"  I also liked the fight at Sebastian's apartment b/c it was the only time I was truly invested in the story since - drumroll please - there were actually dramatic stakes for a conflict that didn't get perfectly resolved after two minutes.  Also, while Stone and Gosling both brought a great deal of charisma to their roles (as did J.K. Simmons in a small role), they were basically playing one-note stock types rather than actual characters and I often felt like I was watching "Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone fall in love and worry about whether they're talented/attractive/self-confident/whatever enough to make it in Hollywood: The Movie."  This felt a lot like Singin' in the Rain and I don't mean that as a compliment.  Solid C

I agree with all of that, the only difference is that I enjoyed Singin' in the Rain a bit more.

Also seconding Meclazine on Don't Breathe.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 03:36:44 PM »

Munich (2005). Originally I thought it was a pro-Operation Wrath of God movie, now I realize it's anti-Operation Wrath of God. However they did omit the Lillehammer affair, as it probably would have made the protagonists too unsympathetic.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 03:09:59 PM »

Paris Can Wait - nothing remarkable.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies