The last movie you've seen thread 2016 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:40:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2016 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2016  (Read 56656 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« on: July 25, 2014, 08:45:35 AM »
« edited: July 19, 2016, 01:17:00 AM by King »

I can't find the old one so I'm making a new one.

I saw a screening of Boyhood last night and it's so terrific I just have to let you all know you have to see it whenever it comes your way.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 12:21:12 PM »

I saw a screening of Boyhood last night and it's so terrific I just have to let you all know you have to see it whenever it comes your way.

I'm really interested in seeing this movie. Its average score currently stands at 9.4 on Rotten Tomatoes, which increases to a score of 9.8 (!!!) among Top Critics. As far as I can tell, that's the highest score that any film has ever received on that site.

It really is that good IMO. Keep your eyes peeled for a showing.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 04:44:57 PM »

Saw The Grand Budapest Hotel and Gone Girl.

Easily my 2nd and 3rd favorite films of the year after Boyhood.

Definitely see all three.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 06:39:43 PM »

Gone Girl

I'm not sure if I loved it or hated, but definitely one or the other.

Looking back, a lot of it feels really stupid, but as a first watch it's a hell of a ride.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 10:45:49 AM »

"Interstellar"

Hated it.  It's overly melodramatic, and the characters cried too much, and that's a big knock in my book.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 02:20:39 PM »

I'm seeing it this weekend. But it's sounding like Nolan might have forgotten how to make movies, after the disastrous failure that was The Dark Knight Rises and now this.

He's getting a little too serious and less mysterious. Every Nolan movie pre-TDKR was a detective story at heart. A mystery that the audience was not let in on. How did the Joker always manage to stay one step ahead? How did the magic trick in the Prestige work? What awaited them in the next dream level?

TDKR was "here is Bane. this is his plan, here he is in the sewers. look at all these bombs. here is everything that is going to happen. now enjoy 2 hours of Matthew Modine calling everyone a hothead until the plan goes into action." He didn't even go through the motions of having a plot where Catwoman and Joseph Gordon Levitt discover Bruce is Batman, they just seem to know for some reason.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 10:38:40 PM »

Yeah, I was joking about hating it the last post (I hadn't seen it) but I saw it tonight. It was so dumb.

"We need farmers not engineers" was stupid. Nolan obviously doesn't know how industrial farming works in 2014. Especially with all those artificially intelligent robots we apparently have to do all the farming for us. We don't need farmers now much less in the future.

The whole world setup was weird and stupid. You have to be a cynical nihilist to think humans would be as dumb to just happily eat corn and not try anything else.

Interstellar travel was more risky and waste of scientific energy compared to creating an artificial atmosphere.

The communication in the bedroom was so obviously McConaughey time traveling and not ghost it was infuriating how none of these supposedly smart characters realized it until the end.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 09:49:08 AM »

Nolan movies have never had great dialogue, but it was pretty bad. Eye rolling monologues about love followed by stomach churning action hero puns to add humor followed by confusing fast paced science mumbo jumbo to explain what is happening. Characters personalities changed from scene to scene because of it. I'm glad Zimmer's score was drowning most of it out.

The more I think about it, the more I dislike it. 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 01:44:45 AM »

I just finished watching Blade Runner: The Final Cut. I had seen the director cut already.

There's a remarkable new layer to it with all the police excessive force scandal in the news.  Unintentional given it's age but still all I could think was "if Rutger Hauer were replaced with a black actor, this would be biting social commentary for today."

Highly recommend for those who haven't seen it,  and for those who have as well to view it from that angle.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 02:41:21 AM »

The Imitation Game is really smart.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 03:36:59 PM »

Good MST3K episode, tho.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 01:34:14 AM »

Saw Whiplash tonight. It exceeded my expectations mainly because I had no real interest in the subject so the fact that it held my attention for the full length is an accomplishment in itself. The ending scene was kind of cool but went on a bit too long. I don't know if he needed a love interest.

I agree The Imitation Game does have some very convenient Oscarbait movie formula cliches in it, but Cumberbatch was so good I really sort of glossed over it while watching it. It wasn't until much after did I think back and realize "wow, that obviously did not happen."
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 01:30:56 PM »

I haven't seen American Sniper and I have no intention of seeing it either.  But is it really as bad as this review claims it is?

No. I didn't really feel like it was propaganda. It's just bland and full of cliches from better war movies.

I really wish Spielberg had stayed on the project as director instead of Eastwood. He apparently didn't want to make it much of a biopic and instead wanted the entire film to focus on a part of the book where Kyle is in battle against an enemy sniper that he couldn't locate. He dropped because he couldn't agree on the budget. Much more interesting idea for a movie right there.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 01:21:03 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2015, 01:23:10 PM by Monarch »

I usually have some difficulties enjoying really old movies, due to different storytelling convention from those I'm used to, but this one really kept me hooked up.

I know what you mean. Citizen Kane's standing the test of time has a lot to do with it avoiding cliche Old Hollywood tropes.

Salt of the Earth is another great old film in that sense and a film economic leftists are sure to enjoy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies