The last movie you've seen thread 2016 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:56:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2016 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2016  (Read 56623 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: January 03, 2015, 12:00:05 PM »

Birdman. Unintentional Oscar fodder but a very solid and unique film.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 03:10:31 PM »

The Theory of Everything. Absolutely stunning, though Hawking's convictions and sense of humour were dialled back a bit.

I also saw Kingsman. A good Mark Millar romp as always.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 05:53:28 PM »

Grey Gardens

The HBO movie, not the excellent documentary. It was on my 'to watch' list for a while.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 07:17:13 AM »

I'm under the impression it's very much in the "Crosses The Line Twice" style of Kick-Ass.

That's an unusual way to describe Kick-Ass. And yes, I'm aware of what the term means.

It's another Mark Millar adaptation. His violence is gratuitous but it's 'comic' so you have to be faithful to that. There's a scene in Kingsman which is downright silly, with a touch of Willy Wonka about it but probably the most contentious (and I have no idea how this will play in the US) is an entire church congregation killing each other in a rampage using chairs, bibles, crucifixes and anything they can use within the building. It's set up in such a way so that you don't 'object' but it seems to annoy more across the Atlantic than it does here.

Kingsman is actually very well..uh...executed. There's nods to Bond but also to other parts of the genre, a little bit of Alan Moore and even the recent trend of 'Nordic-noir.' Despite being more violent, it glorifies it less than Kick-Ass and it lacks the same sort of sexual undertones.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 12:26:06 PM »

Finding Dory.

I was pleased it was a bit of a buddy/chase film. One of the better Pixar sequels.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies