The last movie you've seen thread 2016 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:52:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2016 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2016  (Read 56810 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« on: November 01, 2014, 02:08:12 PM »
« edited: November 01, 2014, 02:12:05 PM by bedstuy »

I watched Rosemary's Baby for the first time last night. It's a masterpiece. It might be one of the best movie I've ever seen. It manages to be profoundly terrifying but also really darkly hilarious, and it's scary and creepy with almost no violence or gore, or even darkness or shadow. I love how Polanski dumps information on the audience and uses film techniques so that we're pretty sure what's happening like a third of the way through the movie, but are absolutely powerless to do anything about it while Rosemary is sucked deeper and deeper, which just adds to the anxiety and unease you feel as the audience. It's so, so good.

Also as someone who lives in New York, it's insane that an unemployed actor was apparently able to afford the rent of an apartment like that in 1965. That would easily be worth millions today.

I just rewatched that a few days ago.  It's really great.

What I find really amazing is that it's a profoundly feminist film, it's ultimately about how society forces women to subjugate themselves and punishes them for independence and individuality.  It's sort of about the tragedy of pregnancy, because a woman's maternal instinct can keep her with a man that she knows is unreliable and bad for her.  That was what I took from it anyway.  And, to think that feminist message is coming from a rapist.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 12:42:22 PM »

Has anyone seen Kingsman? I'm considering going to see it, but it sound like the kind of movie that could either be a lot of fun or absolutely godawful. Is it worth the time?

I liked it.  It's very campy, it kind of reminds me of a mix of James Bond, Austin Powers and the Indonesian movie, The Raid.  Nothing amazing certainly, but pretty good.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 10:18:07 PM »

Last week I rewatched Kill Bill and saw Mad Max: Fury Road. Kill Bill is one of my favorite films of the 2000s, and Fury Road was great fun and refreshing for all the reasons people have been saying it's refreshing (which isn't to say it's a work of genius).

I also saw Young Frankenstein. I'd forgotten how inexcusably paltry and objectified Mel Brooks's female roles are. It's not that he isn't funny, but I think it should be taken as a serious blight on his ability as an artist.

Frau Blücher!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies