Inks.LWC v. Mideast Region (Superior Court) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:43:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Inks.LWC v. Mideast Region (Superior Court) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Inks.LWC v. Mideast Region (Superior Court)  (Read 1876 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« on: July 25, 2014, 09:10:34 AM »

Complaint

May it please the Court, I wish to file suit against the acting Governor for his certification of the July election results. Votes for Al should have been counted pursuant to Badger et al v. Inks.LWC, and I, not Franzl should have been elected. Because I have a high likelihood of winning, I ask this Court to grant a temporary injunction barring Franzl from swearing in. If this Court accepts the case, I will file a full brief tonight.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 09:14:35 PM »

Plaintiff's Brief

Statement of Facts
In certifying the July Mideast Assembly election results, acting Governor TJ in Cleve failed to count first preference votes in favor of Al, instead transfering them directly to those voters' second preferences.[1]  Al never declared his intention to accept write-in votes; however, Franzl implicitly did so by casting a write-in vote for himself.

In transfering votes for Al to first preferences for Franzl, this allowed Franzl to make it past the first round and go on to win the third seat.  Inks.LWC had three first preference votes, while Franzl had one; thus, Franzl would have been eliminated before Inks.LWC, and Inks.LWC would have won the third seat had Franzl been eliminated earlier in the counting.

Question Presented
Was counting first preference votes for Al as first preference votes for Franzl contrary to Mideast law?

Short Answer
Yes.  This Court held in Badger et al v. Inks.LWC, 2009 ME 1, that votes for candidates who have not accepted write-in votes "should be seen as a legal nullity, or as having no valid first preference".  While Badger was decided under a different set of election laws, the principles behind that decision remain applicable in the case at bar.

Argument
The relevant election statute in the case at bar is the Transition to PR-STV Act, A.R. 6 of the 27th Assembly.  Section 3, cl. 3 of the Act states, "A first count shall then be made quantifying the total number of first preferences each valid candidate did receive. Any candidates receiving more than the quota shall be deemed elected."  The statute then goes on to lay out what the voting booth administrator is to do in the event of ties and how to transfer votes cast for candidates who have reached the quota to be elected or who have been eliminated.  Nowhere in the statute did the Assembly grant the voting booth administrator the power to transfer votes of candidates other than those who have been eliminated or who have reached the quota.  The statute, however, directly states how the first count should be conducted: only the total number of first preferences for "each valid candidate" should be counted.  Because Al did not accept write-in votes, he was not a valid candidate.  Because he was not a valid candidate, his first preferences could not be passed on to any valid candidates, because only surplus votes (which would not apply to Al) or votes cast for "eliminated candidate"s can be distributed.  Al could not be eliminated, because he was never a valid candidate to begin with.

Section 1, cl. 5 of The Mideast Elections Consolidation Statute, A.R. 2 of the 4th Assembly, reaffirms this by stating, "In order for write-in votes for a candidate to qualify as countable votes, the person written-in must formally accept the write-in candidacy before the end of voting in the given election."

In Badger this Court held that votes for candidates who do not (more specifically, in Badger, cannot) accept write-ins "should be seen as a legal nullity, or as having no valid first preference".

Opposing counsel will likely argue that Badger no longer applies because the region now uses a PR-STV system of voting instead of the former method of vote counting.  While this is true, the relevant section of The Mideast Elections Consolidation Statute, Section 1, cl. 5, remains in effect today; furthermore, as stated above, there is no provision in the Transition to PR-STV Act that permits a voting booth administrator to transfer first preferences from an invalid candidate to the next highest valid candidate on the voter's ballot.  Unlike in Badger, this means that where a voter first preferences an invalid candidate, his whole ballot is spoiled, because there is no statutory provision to eliminate invalid candidates, whereas in the election scheme in Badger, the voter's second, third, (and fourth and fifth votes, if applicable) would be validly counted in subsequent counting rounds.  While this is an unfortunate oversight by the Assembly in its adoption of the Transfer to PR-STV Act (and one which merits fixing), neither the Governor, nor this Court, has the constitutional or statutory authority to ignore clear provisions of the laws of the region, especially when doing so would be at the expense of valid candidates.

Opposing counsel may argue that this interpretation of the law will lead to the intent of the voters being violated.  This, also, is not true.  Three voters cast their first preferences for Inks.LWC, while only 1 did so for Franzl.  To say that it was the will of the voters to elect Franzl instead of Inks.LWC is simply not accurate.

Conclusion
The job of acting Governor TJ in Cleve, during the first round of counting, was clear: he was to tally the number of first preferences that each valid candidate received.  Al was not a valid candidate, and those votes should have been seen as "legal nullit[ies]".  There is no way that votes for Al could have transfered to any other candidate, because Al could not be eliminated or reach the quota.  Thus, Franzl should have been eliminated before Inks.LWC, and Inks.LWC should have won the third seat.

Request for Relief
Plaintiff requests that this Court direct the Governor (or acting Governor) to recertify the July 2014 election results by counting ballots that cast first preferences for write-in candidates who did not publicly accept write-in votes as legal nullities and to declare Inks.LWC a winner in the election.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 08:16:09 AM »

A question for both parties:
First, is there any way in your analysis that Badger and Transition... (hereafter AR 6) can be reconciled to nullify only the first preference votes for Al of the 3 contested votes, but somehow still permit application of the 2nd and subsequent preferences listed? I'm having trouble seeing at what point in the counting the votes would be applied to second preferences under the PR-STV statute, but the Court would like your (plural) assessment here.
No, there is not, in my opinion, a way to nullify only the first preference votes for Al on those 3 ballots.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 08:18:22 AM »

Here's a preliminary question for the parties: HYPOTHETICALLY, if Plaintiff's position is correct that the entire ballots cast by Earl, Ben & Malsipines are fully legal nullities, how would the election have changed? Preliminarily, it seems that the Total Valid Poll would thereby be reduced to only 18, and the quota to just 5. It appears Spiral and Cassius both would've been elected on the first round, and that's as far into the calculation I'm willing to do myself. Please advise. Acting Gov. TJ is welcome to offer his calculations.

The Court will note for the record that it isn't interested in making it's decision fit a particular outcome. Whatever the Court determines is the legally necessary ruling will stand. The Court is primarily interested in ensuring that the Plaintiff's unrebutted assertion Franzl would've been excluded should've the 3 votes mentioned above been voided, and thus avoid any potential issue of mootness. As a secondary matter the Court is somewhat interested in the impact such ruling would have, as it is germane to Defendant's argument, though not necessarily dispositive to a Court's ultimate ruling here.

Get calculating.

Considering Franzl doesn't contest that he wouldn't be elected, I'm not going to calculate this at this time, as I'm not in a place where I can.  If you still want, I will tonight.

As for affecting the quota, I disagree that counting the individual votes as legal nullities would result in a change to the quota.  The ballots of the 3 people in question were still validly cast, even though the individual votes should be counted as legal nullities.  In effect, it would be similar to a blank ballot cast: it would still be factored into the quota, but there are no actual votes for candidates.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 10:35:47 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I believe that Badger stands for the principle that voter intent can only be followed if doing so is legally permissible. Voter intent here would be to give first preference to Al. That is not legally permissible because Al did not accept write-ins. Thus, as a corollary, it is legally impermissible for voter intent to trump the state and redistribute those votes to Franzl.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 10:42:35 AM »

Thank you LG TJ. The Court is satisfied with (and appriciative of) this tally.

I would ask the Plaintiff again to address tthe Court's question about Badger creating a precedence of general deference to the election administrator's decision.

I would ask the Defendant to elaborate on/spell out the application of the portion of Badger he quotes ("That George Orwell can't accept votes..." etc.) To the case at hand.

Finally, I would ask each party to advise whether any witnesses will be called. IF the answer from both parties is no, I'd ask them each to present any concluding arguments they feel are necessary (if any) or otherwsie declare they are resting their case.

The standard set in Badger is that the Governor's application of the law must be "in line with a reasonable reading of the text". What TJ in Cleve did is not based on a reasonable reading, because there is not statutory text that supports what he did. His decision goes against an unambiguous interpretation of the statute, which bars this Court from giving deference to his decision.

Also, I will have no witnesses.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 03:35:36 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I believe that Badger stands for the principle that voter intent can only be followed if doing so is legally permissible. Voter intent here would be to give first preference to Al. That is not legally permissible because Al did not accept write-ins. Thus, as a corollary, it is legally impermissible for voter intent to trump the state and redistribute those votes to Franzl.
If I may present a short rebuttal to this:

Speaking of voters' intent to give a "first preference" is illogical, as the numerical preferences are irrelevant in STV. A vote is understood to go to the highest available candidate in any particular count. Whether that's a 1st, 2nd or 17th preference is inconsequential.

As previously demonstrated, it's perfectly legal (and necessary!) to count the highest preferences for the highest valid candidate, and only this is also in accordance with voter intent.

A final, brief last rebuttal.  If the Assembly had intended for the first count to be of the highest preferences, it would have said so in clause 3 of the Transition to PR-STV Act.  Instead, as noted above, the Assembly drafted the Act to say, "A first count shall then be made quantifying the total number of first preferences each valid candidate did receive."  There is a distinction between highest and first preferences, and even though you were the highest preferenced valid candidate of the 3 voters in question, you were not the first preference.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 07:50:06 PM »

I thank the Court for its time.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length