Update XVI: Sidejackin' it in the Train Room.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:26:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVI: Sidejackin' it in the Train Room.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 80
Author Topic: Update XVI: Sidejackin' it in the Train Room.  (Read 171607 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: August 01, 2014, 09:53:58 PM »

Bushie, don't even dream about missing a day of work during this 90 day trial.

I've got two doctor's appointments in September.  I will postpone them until January.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #451 on: August 01, 2014, 09:54:44 PM »

Seems legit enough -- based on just a few minutes of checking them out. The process was likely so hurried and unstructured because they're a) incredibly small and don't have any official HR function, and b) looking for someone entry level to trial for 90 days.

My advice, Jeff: do what you need to do to make REAL improvements -- even if they are small -- in your health. A grade-whatever headache that keeps you homebound during your second week on this trial, particularly if absences continue to be as much of a problem as they usually are for you, isn't going to impress.

One thing that will help me out a bunch is that since I am in Downtown Tulsa, all the places to eat are a good walk away.  I only have an hour, so I will be mostly eating in the office saving calories and money.  Also, I am going to start fixing bacon and eggs and macaroni and cheese in the evenings for supper and limiting my restaurant visits to maybe twice a week.

Jeff, that is a lot of time.  You should bring your lunch (sensible portions) and then take a stroll for light exercise. You'd want to take it light so that you arent sweating like a pig around the office but getting some sunlight and pulse up a bit would be a good start.  A nice walk is good for clearing the head too. You have a tendency to overthink things.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #452 on: August 01, 2014, 09:56:02 PM »

This was the shortest job search I've ever had, I think.  It lasted an entire 102 hours from Monday, July 28, 2014 at 9:00 to Friday, August 1, 2014 at 15:00.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #453 on: August 01, 2014, 09:59:13 PM »

Seems legit enough -- based on just a few minutes of checking them out. The process was likely so hurried and unstructured because they're a) incredibly small and don't have any official HR function, and b) looking for someone entry level to trial for 90 days.

My advice, Jeff: do what you need to do to make REAL improvements -- even if they are small -- in your health. A grade-whatever headache that keeps you homebound during your second week on this trial, particularly if absences continue to be as much of a problem as they usually are for you, isn't going to impress.

One thing that will help me out a bunch is that since I am in Downtown Tulsa, all the places to eat are a good walk away.  I only have an hour, so I will be mostly eating in the office saving calories and money.  Also, I am going to start fixing bacon and eggs and macaroni and cheese in the evenings for supper and limiting my restaurant visits to maybe twice a week.

Jeff, that is a lot of time.  You should bring your lunch (sensible portions) and then take a stroll for light exercise. You'd want to take it light so that you arent sweating like a pig around the office but getting some sunlight and pulse up a bit would be a good start.  A nice walk is good for clearing the head too. You have a tendency to overthink things.

I can definitely take a short walk for a few minutes.  I'll want to get out of the office for a bit.  I'm just saying I don't have time to walk down to a restaurant, stand in line for 10-15 minutes, wolf it down, and walk back.  But, to take 20 minutes to eat and 25 minutes for a brief stroll would be ideal and give me 15 minutes to just chill before I start the afternoon.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #454 on: August 01, 2014, 10:03:51 PM »

I've got two doctor's appointments in September.  I will postpone them until January.

He may have been referring to absences due to illnesses you cause yourself, like upset stomachs due to bad food or headaches due to lethargy. The doctor visits could actually help, and I'm not sure an employer would begrudge you for taking a few hours off for them.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #455 on: August 01, 2014, 10:04:55 PM »

Other good things about this job - I won't have to talk on the phone at all and I won't have to try to sell anything.  This means I won't have customers cussing me out all day long.  That alone should make it easier to go to work every day for the first 90 days and beyond.

I will be 2 steps from my boss's office and the owner's office so I can talk to them nice and easy.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #456 on: August 01, 2014, 10:07:41 PM »

He may have been referring to absences due to illnesses you cause yourself, like upset stomachs due to bad food or headaches due to lethargy. The doctor visits could actually help, and I'm not sure an employer would begrudge you for taking a few hours off for them.

I know what he meant, and I was trying to eliminate all such occurrences.  Plus, my doctor's office is about 85-90 miles from work so I would have to basically take nearly an entire day.  I don't want to risk it as early as September.  I can easily wait until December or January and be fine.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #457 on: August 01, 2014, 10:14:08 PM »

Bushie, have you and Allison been texting each other regarding these new developments?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #458 on: August 01, 2014, 10:16:50 PM »

Bushie, have you and Allison been texting each other regarding these new developments?

I texted her that I finally got a job.  She was pleased.  Still have little to no chance of getting back together.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #459 on: August 01, 2014, 10:18:33 PM »

Bushie, if you tend towards having stomachaches and other minor ailments, make sure you keep plenty of Pepto and Tums on hand.  You really can't afford to miss even a day.  Working for a small company is a HUGE opportunity.  Since they have to deal with the worker face-to-face, it's harder for greed to completely take over.  You could be seeing a very nice salary for the work you do after the 90 day trial.  Not to mention the 9-5 M-F thing is something that I can only dream of right now.  You should be very grateful for that.  
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #460 on: August 01, 2014, 10:20:13 PM »

I texted her that I finally got a job.  She was pleased.  Still have little to no chance of getting back together.

What the heck happened between you guys?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #461 on: August 01, 2014, 10:23:13 PM »

From what I can tell, the company looks to be legitimate.

Jeff, I'd urge you not to blow this chance.  There should be no reason that you miss work.  Headache... work through it.  Stomachache... work through it.  Walking pneumonia... work through it.  And don't give the typical, "I know guys.  You don't have to tell me.  This time will be different." BS... just do it.  Enough talk; you've got a job.  Now prove yourself.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #462 on: August 01, 2014, 10:32:23 PM »

From what I can tell, the company looks to be legitimate.

Jeff, I'd urge you not to blow this chance.  There should be no reason that you miss work.  Headache... work through it.  Stomachache... work through it.  Walking pneumonia... work through it.  And don't give the typical, "I know guys.  You don't have to tell me.  This time will be different." BS... just do it.  Enough talk; you've got a job.  Now prove yourself.

Yes, sir!!!  I am going to do the best I can to hang onto this one for dear life.  I'm less than 9 months from turning 33 years old.  It's about time I got myself a career and this one looks to be the best chance I've had in a long time, if ever.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #463 on: August 01, 2014, 10:39:57 PM »

I already know what desk I will be working from.  It is the same desk that I interviewed at this afternoon.  The desk area looks big enough to bring in a bottle of Excedrin for my headaches and a bottle of Aleve for backaches and Tums for stomachaches.  I will also have Excedrin in the center console of my car, and of course, I have all three of those at home.  There should be no reason I should have to miss when I've got the medicine at all three locations to sustain me.  If I get a headache overnight, I will take Excedrin before I leave. If I get one at 10:00 am, I will take some Excedrin at work.  Same goes with backaches and stomachaches.  I'm not about to let a little ailment get to me.  I don't have to text Allison every night now, so I can go to bed whenever I want, so there will be no excuse for not getting enough sleep.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #464 on: August 01, 2014, 10:47:56 PM »

"Don't let the Oklahoma wind knock this one out of your hands, your mom needs to retire." - Papa Bushie, Update's most noble character.

I think that's how the quote went anyway.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #465 on: August 01, 2014, 10:50:53 PM »

I already know what desk I will be working from.  It is the same desk that I interviewed at this afternoon.  The desk area looks big enough to bring in a bottle of Excedrin for my headaches and a bottle of Aleve for backaches and Tums for stomachaches.  I will also have Excedrin in the center console of my car, and of course, I have all three of those at home.  There should be no reason I should have to miss when I've got the medicine at all three locations to sustain me.  If I get a headache overnight, I will take Excedrin before I leave. If I get one at 10:00 am, I will take some Excedrin at work.  Same goes with backaches and stomachaches.  I'm not about to let a little ailment get to me.  I don't have to text Allison every night now, so I can go to bed whenever I want, so there will be no excuse for not getting enough sleep.

Eek. That texting all night thing got old huh?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #466 on: August 01, 2014, 10:52:51 PM »

It destroyed a relationship for me a few years back.  We just ALWAYS had to be texting each other.  It becomes tedious, and one can become resentful of the other. 
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #467 on: August 01, 2014, 10:53:47 PM »

It destroyed a relationship for me a few years back.  We just ALWAYS had to be texting each other.  It becomes tedious, and one can become resentful of the other. 

Yeah, I've been there too actually.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #468 on: August 01, 2014, 11:03:22 PM »

But, home cooked B&E and M&C is a lot better than Braum's, McDonald's, and Wendy's...

No. Home cooked food is not inherently healthier than fast food. People only say that because generally home cooked food may mean more vegetables and smaller portions. That's not the case here. Your bacon and eggs or mac and cheese might as well be from Denny's.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #469 on: August 01, 2014, 11:18:12 PM »

Sheesh... how much of that stuff are you taking?  All of that pain killer isn't good for your liver.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #470 on: August 01, 2014, 11:24:59 PM »

Have you not considered that your diet is in fact causing your headaches and stomach upsets?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #471 on: August 01, 2014, 11:39:40 PM »

Sheesh... how much of that stuff are you taking?  All of that pain killer isn't good for your liver.

Admittedly, I probably take more than I should, but I have slowed down as of recent.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #472 on: August 01, 2014, 11:40:14 PM »

Have you not considered that your diet is in fact causing your headaches and stomach upsets?

The headaches are part diet, mostly genetic.  The stomachaches are diet.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #473 on: August 01, 2014, 11:48:23 PM »

The headaches are part diet, mostly genetic.  The stomachaches are diet.

So fix your diet!  Dude... you're killing your liver taking all of this stuff (not so much the Tums, but that could make you constipated), and it's so avoidable.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #474 on: August 01, 2014, 11:54:06 PM »

If you can't tell, it's been a superb start to the month of August 2014!!  I will be going to bed when August 2 begins in 6 minutes.  57 hours until I report for work and 41 hours until Work Night #1!!!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies