Update XVI: Sidejackin' it in the Train Room.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:47:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVI: Sidejackin' it in the Train Room.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 80
Author Topic: Update XVI: Sidejackin' it in the Train Room.  (Read 171716 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: August 06, 2014, 08:31:34 PM »

The only bad thing about today is I had a painful twinge or knot in my upper back all day.  I don't have the most ergonomic office chair, and that didn't help. 

RIP JOB

At least I stayed there the entire day.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #626 on: August 06, 2014, 08:32:23 PM »

Good Wednesday Evening!  I am home from an awesome day!  This was by far the best day, yet.  I took a break from the drawing I was working on the first two days and did something different as per the current needs of the company.  I have to finish the group I was working on late this afternoon tomorrow when I first get there, and then will be able to move onto other tasks as directed by my supervisor.  I thought the first two days were good, but today was miles ahead of even the first two days, and that is saying something.  I am still building that foundation, but that foundation is looking pretty good.  The thing that made today better is I think I have shaken 95% of the rust off and I didn't have to have help as much today.  I'm not rushing through my work like I did in school, but I'm double, triple, and quadruple checking my work for accuracy.  I have developed my first routine when I work on a drawing.  That routine will likely be modified, but for now I've got an early routine established.  The only bad thing about today is I had a painful twinge or knot in my upper back all day.  I don't have the most ergonomic office chair, and that didn't help.  My back still hurts this evening, but I will go to church this evening and then watch Big Brother when I get home.  15 hours until Day 4!!

Please tell me these tasks don't involve cold-calling their clients and trying to sell them additional CADD services.

No, I was working on other drawings.  I have not touched an office phone in three days.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #627 on: August 06, 2014, 08:33:12 PM »

When you write that you 'do not have the most ergonomic chair' do you in fact mean that you cannot find a chair to fit your not inconsiderable girth?

There is one chair I might try tomorrow, but all the chairs look to be in pretty bad shape.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #628 on: August 06, 2014, 08:38:39 PM »

I would think that when you're 5'7"/300 lbs. serious back pain is a part of everyday life.

I do have a bad back, but it's usually my lower back.  This is about a quarter of the way down my spine from the neck.  It feels like right at the bottom of the shoulder blade.  It didn't hinder me at all today, I just took one aspirin about 10:45 and a second one about 14:00 and it helped me get through the day.  Never once did I think about going home.  This is a job I actually legitimately like.  It's not one of those jobs I have to talk myself into liking it.  As J-Mann pointed out the other night, this is a job I can actually do and am better suited for.  I'm not going to throw this job away like I have in the past.  As I said before, I am 8 1/2 months shy of my 33rd birthday, I need to settle into a career and I am going to try to make this my career.  I am going to try to stay here as long as I can and hold onto it for dear life.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #629 on: August 06, 2014, 08:52:50 PM »

I would think that when you're 5'7"/300 lbs. serious back pain is a part of everyday life.

I do have a bad back, but it's usually my lower back.  This is about a quarter of the way down my spine from the neck.  It feels like right at the bottom of the shoulder blade.  It didn't hinder me at all today, I just took one aspirin about 10:45 and a second one about 14:00 and it helped me get through the day.  Never once did I think about going home.  This is a job I actually legitimately like.  It's not one of those jobs I have to talk myself into liking it.  As J-Mann pointed out the other night, this is a job I can actually do and am better suited for.  I'm not going to throw this job away like I have in the past.  As I said before, I am 8 1/2 months shy of my 33rd birthday, I need to settle into a career and I am going to try to make this my career.  I am going to try to stay here as long as I can and hold onto it for dear life.

Hate to break it to you Bushie, but you're not going to work there the rest of your working life. None of us will still be working wherever we are currently when we're 65. If you "hold onto a job for dear life" you're asking to be used, taken advantage of and spit out.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #630 on: August 06, 2014, 09:23:25 PM »

Can't you have Mama Bushie buy you a better chair and then just bring it to work?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #631 on: August 06, 2014, 09:27:48 PM »

Can't you have Mama Bushie buy you a better chair and then just bring it to work?

I can't fit it into my car.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #632 on: August 06, 2014, 09:33:50 PM »

Hate to break it to you Bushie, but you're not going to work there the rest of your working life. None of us will still be working wherever we are currently when we're 65. If you "hold onto a job for dear life" you're asking to be used, taken advantage of and spit out.

I know I won't be there the rest of my working life and that's not what I meant.  What I meant was I'm not going to let it go.  Holding onto something for dear life means you will do everything in your power to keep it.  I'm sure in several years from now I'll be wanting to move elsewhere and work for a different company, but for now and hopefully the next few years, I can hang out and build my career here.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #633 on: August 06, 2014, 09:48:44 PM »

I know I won't be there the rest of my working life and that's not what I meant.  What I meant was I'm not going to let it go.  Holding onto something for dear life means you will do everything in your power to keep it.  I'm sure in several years from now I'll be wanting to move elsewhere and work for a different company, but for now and hopefully the next few years, I can hang out and build my career here.

This is a very reasonable goal and you should work tirelessly on making it happen.  Especially if you like it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #634 on: August 06, 2014, 10:10:57 PM »

It's almost bed time for Work Night 4.  2 more days left in Week 1.  Yeah, I have a pain in my back, but millions of people work and live with pain everyday.  This is minor compared to what a lot of other people deal with and persevere with.  Nothing short of death will stop me from Day 4!!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #635 on: August 06, 2014, 10:12:37 PM »

Nothing short of death will stop me from Day 4!!

Jesus christ that better not be some sort of dark foreshadowing from the writers.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #636 on: August 06, 2014, 10:24:22 PM »

I'm glad you're liking things, Jeff. Keep working hard and think of each day as sharpening the saw ... continuing to hone your skills to provide more and more value. I don't think you should ever be in a position where you have to "hold on for dear life" to a job. Your employer should want to hold onto you.

Also, don't let this back-pain thing become a distraction or a reason to be absent or dissatisfied. I have four office chairs at my old house and am willing to give you any one of them -- all are considerably more ergonomic and comfortable than what you're likely using. One would be particularly good for long-term use. If you figure out a way to pick it up, it's yours.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #637 on: August 07, 2014, 07:08:11 AM »

Thanks, Jesse.  My back feels a little better this morning, but I'll take some Aleve with me today in case it flares up.  It won't distract me or become a cause of me missing work.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #638 on: August 07, 2014, 07:54:27 AM »

Arent' chairs adjustable?  Damn.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #639 on: August 07, 2014, 08:08:27 AM »

My guess -- which is only a guess -- is that he's in one of those armless, basic roller chairs. They aren't comfortable for long periods, even for me. I can imagine that any chair like that would play hell with Jeff's frame.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #640 on: August 07, 2014, 01:43:46 PM »

Late for work?  Ugh.  RIP  Cry
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #641 on: August 07, 2014, 03:51:55 PM »

Already late for work?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #642 on: August 07, 2014, 05:34:15 PM »

I left at the normal time i always do, but it was raining really heavy this morning and a semi-truck overturned on my route to work backing up traffic for 4 miles.  It took me an hour to get to work this morning, only going 13 miles.  It was not my fault.  Plus, my supervisor got caught in the same traffic and was a little late himself.  I put in my 8 hours, so I'm fine.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #643 on: August 07, 2014, 05:38:22 PM »

If only we had the technology to view traffic data in real time, from our desks to the palms of our hands.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #644 on: August 07, 2014, 05:43:41 PM »

If only we had the technology to view traffic data in real time, from our desks to the palms of our hands.

It apparently happened right after I left the house and quickly backed up traffic.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #645 on: August 07, 2014, 05:44:26 PM »

Good Thursday Evening!! Today was another good day.  I have nearly completed my first project.  I should have it all completed within the first couple of hours tomorrow.  I've got another project to work on right after that is done.  It should be a good end to the first week tomorrow.  Tonight, I've got NFL Preseason Football and then Big Brother on DVR.  I'll probably stay up a little later tonight, maybe 23:00.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #646 on: August 07, 2014, 05:47:18 PM »

bushie what is with you and inclement weather.  it always seems to throw a monkey wrench into your routine.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #647 on: August 07, 2014, 05:51:40 PM »

bushie what is with you and inclement weather.  it always seems to throw a monkey wrench into your routine.

Surely you have bad traffic in Boston.  Everybody must agree that I did absolutely everything I was supposed to do.  I left on time, even a couple minutes early.  I cannot help it if a truck overturns on the highway backing up traffic.  That is completely out of my control.  I don't know why everyone is then blaming me for being late when it was 100% out of my control.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #648 on: August 07, 2014, 05:56:13 PM »

Surely you have bad traffic in Boston.  Everybody must agree that I did absolutely everything I was supposed to do.  I left on time, even a couple minutes early.  I cannot help it if a truck overturns on the highway backing up traffic.  That is completely out of my control.  I don't know why everyone is then blaming me for being late when it was 100% out of my control.

The truck turning over is not your fault, not planning accordingly for weather is though. Leaving at the same time (2 minutes is not significant) during heavy rain is asking to arrive late. You should check the weather ahead of time and plan accordingly. If there's inclement weather, plan to leave much earlier. Worst case scenario you arrive earlier to work and get to leave later if you put in the 8 hours itself.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #649 on: August 07, 2014, 06:18:24 PM »

Moral of the story is don't live 13 miles from your job.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies