Update XVI: Sidejackin' it in the Train Room.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:27:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVI: Sidejackin' it in the Train Room.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 80
Author Topic: Update XVI: Sidejackin' it in the Train Room.  (Read 170328 times)
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: July 28, 2014, 08:33:13 PM »

Wow, over the span of this short season, I have been vilely insulted, called mentally ill, my parents have been insulted and reviled, my friends have been insulted and called mentally ill because they "don't see the real me."  I am not going to subject myself and the ones I love to this type of childish attacks.  You guys are completely pathetic.  You give no thought to how a person might feel.  You all seem to think you are 100% correct 100% of the time and that I am never correct.  You guys are just flat arrogant and wrong.  I have done nothing wrong and my parents and friends have done nothing wrong.

This ends the Update once and for all.

You have done everything wrong..EVERYTHING. The update isn't over, you'll come back like you always do. I'd like to say one of these day's you will find good advise out there and follow it, but you wont. You will continue the train wreck and go from one crappy job to another, and continue to fall on your parents for support, and push them further into debt. It's pathetic that you don't see that, when EVERYONE else does.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #251 on: July 28, 2014, 08:45:29 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2014, 08:47:54 PM by Paul Kemp »

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Also, the "poor me, everyone is mean!" argument is discounted when you start the post by using the phrase "season" in reference to your life.

Pathetic.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #252 on: July 28, 2014, 08:49:09 PM »

Let me pop in here again and say that I'm not mad at anybody here.  Smash did a good job in calming me down via PM.  I'm naturally not going to discuss what he said to me, but he did a good job of calming me down.

The fact is everybody here has made mistakes, both on my end and on the advice-giving.  You all expect me to fess up which is hard to do, and I expect you to fess up from time to time which is hard to do.  We're pretty much a bunch of hard-headed and somewhat egotistical men that make mistakes.

Let's drop the mental issue for now, if we may.  I'm simply not going to do it.  You can imagine the stigma when you tell your family and friends you are seeking help because an internet forum told you to.  They would tell you you've lost your mind, completely.

On the employment issue.  The object right now is to get a paycheck, even if that is customer service.  I have pretty much decided against the interview I had scheduled for tomorrow.  J-Mann and Smash did a good job of that, as well, because of the majority sales aspect.  However, there is another call center that I am going to look at tomorrow.  This is with a big-name company.  It's likely a job where I will be hired on the spot, but I think it will have more structure, which was my biggest reason for leaving the job I was at.  I firmly believe that I can do well in call centers if I just put my mind to it.  The calls no longer frighten me as they once did.  I can fix my attendance issues with a little hard work and dedication.  Again, my goal is to make this unemployment a very short one.  I do not want to drag this out any longer than it has to.  I know I have just given you the definition of insanity, but I've got to do what I think is best for me, even if that is an unconventional approach.  The possibility exists that I may fail yet again.  I realize that.  I still think, though, there is merit to the strategy that my parents and I are deploying.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #253 on: July 28, 2014, 08:52:09 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2014, 08:55:57 PM by Paul Kemp »

Who has given advice that turned out to be a "mistake" and how so?

Also,

You know what guys, I don't have to listen to this crap anymore.  I'm going back to politics for a while.

lol.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #254 on: July 28, 2014, 08:55:54 PM »

Wow, over the span of this short season, I have been vilely insulted, called mentally ill, my parents have been insulted and reviled, my friends have been insulted and called mentally ill because they "don't see the real me."  I am not going to subject myself and the ones I love to this type of childish attacks.  You guys are completely pathetic.  You give no thought to how a person might feel.  You all seem to think you are 100% correct 100% of the time and that I am never correct.  You guys are just flat arrogant and wrong.  I have done nothing wrong and my parents and friends have done nothing wrong.

This ends the Update once and for all.

I actually don't feel like you have any sort of severe mental illness or need "that" kind of therapy, as I used to. Rather, your situations are most likely spurred by two things:

- An overwhelming midwestern optimism, where you want so badly to have a stereotypical "normal" life that you keep forcing yourself into situations that are either ill-planned or poor fits for who you really are. Think about it, and if it helps to see the cycle, go back and actually read all the previous Updates ... it's the same stories over and over again: rushed relationships, forced jobs and edification from those around you that dilutes the magnitude of your mistakes.

- I think you have a very powerful lazy streak, and even when you are well aware of the "correct" path (ie: keeping your job while looking for new ones, eating healthier, etc.), you take the easy way out. And, again, you're given a free pass by those closest to you. I'm not saying my parents wouldn't bail me out if I was struggling ... I'm saying mine would have had enough after the first time and would have expected me to learn from my mistakes.

You're not wrong all the time, Jeff ... CADD school has the potential to have been a good investment. There are little things here and there that you do well, and they're acknowledged. You just can't expect me or anyone else on the forum to cheer laziness or, when you have choices, your purposeful selection of the worse choice. If you want to be recognized for the things you do right, and if you want to be spoken to in a more-respectful manner, treat this community with the same recognition and respect in return.

You get some great advice from us at times, and when you throw it back in our faces or outright reject it, it's an even deeper level of disrespect than the surface-level insults that are shot across your bow from time to time. Some of us have been where you're at, made good choices and succeeded ... and we're trying to help you down that same path.

Thank you, J-Mann.  This is the type of post I can respect and glean from, one that doesn't yell or have inflammatory remarks or incendiary accusations in it, but is straight to the point.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #255 on: July 28, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »

You can imagine the stigma when you tell your family and friends you are seeking help because an internet forum told you to.  They would tell you you've lost your mind, completely.

Then don't tell your real-life friends and family. If the psychiatrist tells you you're fine, then nobody ever has to know. If he wants you to come back regularly and you want to tell your real-life people (which you still wouldn't have to do), you can tell them you realized you had a problem and went on your own. That will be impressive, not embarrassing, to the people who love you.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #256 on: July 28, 2014, 08:58:52 PM »

Let me pop in here again and say that I'm not mad at anybody here.  Smash did a good job in calming me down via PM.  I'm naturally not going to discuss what he said to me, but he did a good job of calming me down.

The fact is everybody here has made mistakes, both on my end and on the advice-giving.  You all expect me to fess up which is hard to do, and I expect you to fess up from time to time which is hard to do.  We're pretty much a bunch of hard-headed and somewhat egotistical men that make mistakes.

Let's drop the mental issue for now, if we may.  I'm simply not going to do it.  You can imagine the stigma when you tell your family and friends you are seeking help because an internet forum told you to.  They would tell you you've lost your mind, completely.

On the employment issue.  The object right now is to get a paycheck, even if that is customer service.  I have pretty much decided against the interview I had scheduled for tomorrow.  J-Mann and Smash did a good job of that, as well, because of the majority sales aspect.  However, there is another call center that I am going to look at tomorrow.  This is with a big-name company.  It's likely a job where I will be hired on the spot, but I think it will have more structure, which was my biggest reason for leaving the job I was at.  I firmly believe that I can do well in call centers if I just put my mind to it.  The calls no longer frighten me as they once did.  I can fix my attendance issues with a little hard work and dedication.  Again, my goal is to make this unemployment a very short one.  I do not want to drag this out any longer than it has to.  I know I have just given you the definition of insanity, but I've got to do what I think is best for me, even if that is an unconventional approach.  The possibility exists that I may fail yet again.  I realize that.  I still think, though, there is merit to the strategy that my parents and I are deploying.

So the object is to get a paycheck (which you were just getting) and you are going to look at a call center (which you just quit one)....

So....did you get fired?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #257 on: July 28, 2014, 09:02:56 PM »

The objective may be getting a paycheck, but clearly the greater objective is taking a four-hour nap. Otherwise you would have gone to work all day today, earned $70 or whatever, and then just looked for jobs online when you got home.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #258 on: July 28, 2014, 09:04:54 PM »

So the object is to get a paycheck (which you were just getting) and you are going to look at a call center (which you just quit one)....

So....did you get fired?

No, I didn't get fired.  I went in this morning at 7:35 and waited until about 8:10 when somebody got to the front desk and offered my 3-days notice, which they said thank you, but then relieved me of my duties.  I can still go back there if push came to shove.  That job will basically always be there.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #259 on: July 28, 2014, 09:07:24 PM »

You can imagine the stigma when you tell your family and friends you are seeking help because an internet forum told you to.  They would tell you you've lost your mind, completely.

Then don't tell your real-life friends and family. If the psychiatrist tells you you're fine, then nobody ever has to know. If he wants you to come back regularly and you want to tell your real-life people (which you still wouldn't have to do), you can tell them you realized you had a problem and went on your own. That will be impressive, not embarrassing, to the people who love you.

True. You're under no obligation to tell anyone you made an appointment to see a mental health doctor. There's a reason patient confidentiality is so sacred to those doctors.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #260 on: July 28, 2014, 09:07:40 PM »

I'm almost starting to think the people for banning Bushie have a point.

It's pretty obvious the only way Update will go away is banning Bushie, and Bushie is using Update as an outlet. This means he isn't actually facing up to his very severe issues. If he didn't have it he might have to actual deal with his issues instead of soaking in the attention.

...But it's going to have to happen sooner or later anyway.

Why would ending Update cause him to face up to his severe issues?  Update disappeared for several months in 2011, and nothing changed.  I don't see why people think *anything* is going to get Bushie to change.  He is who he is, and I don't see him getting better any time soon, whether he "hits rock bottom" or not.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #261 on: July 28, 2014, 09:08:20 PM »

The bolded sentences are the bits that are baffling and, quite frankly, disrespectful to us.

Your goal is to get a paycheck. The thing is, you had a paycheck, even if it was a crappy job. You had a paycheck as of this morning. You chose to reject our advice to keep that paycheck while looking for a job that fits you better in favor of quitting to look "full time."

The baffling parts: your goal of being able to look full time was originally a desire to get something better suited for you, and to be able to devote all of your time and energy to that search. Now, that goal has changed into "just a paycheck," and you seem ready to jump back into the call center racket again.

Equally frustrating for us: it is all but scientific law that you will not succeed in a call center. You've had half-a-dozen call center jobs, and either been let go or disliked them so much that you left. Your background and education lends itself much better to back-office positions wherein you could find a career and some stability. And I've shown you with scientific validation that a customer-facing, call-center role will put inordinate amounts of stress on your psyche, because at your core, they're not who you are or where you can be your best. It'd be like me trying to compete with Olympic sprinters ... my willpower will never overcome my body's innate lack of ability, and as your four-hour nap today validates, your willpower isn't exactly the strongest!

How do you explain all of that? THIS, Jeff ... this is what frustrates people and why you receive such harsh rebukes. This is why people accuse you of mental illness. Because this pattern, which has happened for years (although much of it repeated itself in just the last 24 hours), continues and you do not seem to learn.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #262 on: July 28, 2014, 09:15:42 PM »

Sorry - but I do need to highlight a few issues here.

- Yes, everyone has made mistakes and has personal issues and foibles. But this is YOUR update, you want the attention of telling the world about the intricacies of your daily life. Therefore, when you're cagey, defensive and throw back the genuine concern that has been shown for you... it's genuinely offensive. Sure, some have gotten off on telling you off... but 90% of it has been reasonable and based on fact and a pretty decent understanding of your behavioral patterns. But I recall talking about my past issues... and did it without needing to, for your benefit. So please, remember who started this and what others have offered you...

- Addressing mental illness is not supposed to be fun. You won't know if there's something wrong, because you refuse to acknowledge there being a problem with OCD or other forms of anxiety or compulsive behavior. You've got tell-tale symptoms even from this distance and it ain't going away with prayer or avoidance and frankly, I do think it's a big factor for your litany of issues. You don't have to tell anyone... that's the thing, adults don't need constant advice or reinforcement.

- You're setting yourself up for failure and another job loss for continuing in a field that you are fundamentally unsuited for... putting aside aptitude tests and that stuff, it's clear you don't handle pressure, you can't cope with flexibility or change and you need clear instructions and repetitive tasks. Call-centres ain't anything like that.

- and yes, your parents advice to you has been AWFUL. That's not being cruel or negative or unkind... at what point has their advice led to anything?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #263 on: July 28, 2014, 09:23:45 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2014, 09:28:59 PM by Smash255 »

Let me pop in here again and say that I'm not mad at anybody here.  Smash did a good job in calming me down via PM.  I'm naturally not going to discuss what he said to me, but he did a good job of calming me down.

The fact is everybody here has made mistakes, both on my end and on the advice-giving.  You all expect me to fess up which is hard to do, and I expect you to fess up from time to time which is hard to do.  We're pretty much a bunch of hard-headed and somewhat egotistical men that make mistakes.

Let's drop the mental issue for now, if we may.  I'm simply not going to do it.  You can imagine the stigma when you tell your family and friends you are seeking help because an internet forum told you to.  They would tell you you've lost your mind, completely.

On the employment issue.  The object right now is to get a paycheck, even if that is customer service.  I have pretty much decided against the interview I had scheduled for tomorrow.  J-Mann and Smash did a good job of that, as well, because of the majority sales aspect.  However, there is another call center that I am going to look at tomorrow.  This is with a big-name company.  It's likely a job where I will be hired on the spot, but I think it will have more structure, which was my biggest reason for leaving the job I was at.  I firmly believe that I can do well in call centers if I just put my mind to it.  The calls no longer frighten me as they once did.  I can fix my attendance issues with a little hard work and dedication.  Again, my goal is to make this unemployment a very short one.  I do not want to drag this out any longer than it has to.  I know I have just given you the definition of insanity, but I've got to do what I think is best for me, even if that is an unconventional approach.  The possibility exists that I may fail yet again.  I realize that.  I still think, though, there is merit to the strategy that my parents and I are deploying.

Bushie, I'm glad I was able to get you to calm down.  However, you really need to actually start to listen, you are still refusing to do that.  -Mann's last post summed it up perfectly.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #264 on: July 28, 2014, 09:24:52 PM »

Polnut, I will address one thing you mentioned.  I have already been diagnosed with OCD.  That happened when I was 11, it comes as part of my Tourettes.  I have had that all my life, and was diagnosed officially at age 11 after years of testing and evaluations, a lot of them mental.  I've also got a severe case of ADHD.  I don't run away from these issues, rather I tend to embrace them and thank God for giving them to me.  Yes, I thank God for a neurological disorder.  So, I have already been through mental evaluations.  I'm positive the doctors today would reveal the same issues.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #265 on: July 28, 2014, 09:25:01 PM »

I left the forum a while back but I've been keeping tabs on the Update saga because it's one of the funniest things on the Internet. I'd almost think it were some kind of years-long performance art piece. You guys keep doing what you're doing, it's hilarious.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #266 on: July 28, 2014, 09:28:43 PM »

^ Welcome back, Johnny! Cheesy
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #267 on: July 28, 2014, 09:37:15 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2014, 09:40:12 PM by Lankford for US Senate 2014 »

I think I'm going to hold off on the call center I am thinking about.  I just found an article on our CBS affiliate's website for all sorts of roles with the Tulsa Public Schools.  Not just teaching.  Naturally, I'm not licensed to teach, but I could probably be a custodian or something.  What do you all think? The job fair is next Monday, August 4 at 13:00.

Look at www.newson6.com for the article.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #268 on: July 28, 2014, 09:54:00 PM »

I think I'm going to hold off on the call center I am thinking about.  I just found an article on our CBS affiliate's website for all sorts of roles with the Tulsa Public Schools.  Not just teaching.  Naturally, I'm not licensed to teach, but I could probably be a custodian or something.  What do you all think? The job fair is next Monday, August 4 at 13:00.

I would basically look for anything that isn't sales/ call centter or something that requires physical labor or fitness.  A school Custodian would also fix things, stand on latters, etc, wouldn't they?
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #269 on: July 28, 2014, 09:57:24 PM »

Custodian may be tough, given the physical concerns you've discussed, although there are usually administrative positions at schools ... few, though, where you wouldn't have to interact with horrible children and their even-worse parents.

I was thinking something like this may be more appropriate: https://careers-postacutemedical.icims.com/jobs/2063/charge-entry-clerk/job?mode=job&iis=Job+Board+-+Indeed.com&iisn=Indeed.com&mobile=false&width=543&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false

Granted, that's based on two minutes of research, so listen to the rest of the community if they say it's bunk.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #270 on: July 28, 2014, 09:58:35 PM »

What is your goal, Bushie?  What is a job that will be good enough that you won't immediately start looking for another job?  Is the goal to get a CADD job, and any other job you take will be an interim step towards getting that CADD job?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #271 on: July 28, 2014, 10:00:12 PM »

Custodian may be tough, given the physical concerns you've discussed, although there are usually administrative positions at schools ... few, though, where you wouldn't have to interact with horrible children and their even-worse parents.

I was thinking something like this may be more appropriate: https://careers-postacutemedical.icims.com/jobs/2063/charge-entry-clerk/job?mode=job&iis=Job+Board+-+Indeed.com&iisn=Indeed.com&mobile=false&width=543&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false

Granted, that's based on two minutes of research, so listen to the rest of the community if they say it's bunk.

As long as Bushie can type decently I think that would be a good fit.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #272 on: July 28, 2014, 10:05:22 PM »

I'm sorry but what?! Do you have a giant job wheel in your house somewhere that you spin multiple times a day to decide what kind of job to pursue?

First you quit your crappy call center job because you wanted to spend all your waking hours (all 12 of them at best) looking for better jobs and the paycheck doesn't matter because your parents are cool with this and going to help you out. You say you can't look for jobs while working full time.

Then you say you're going to get another similar crappy job because all you really care about for now is a paycheck. So are you going to look for a better job or not? And if you are, then what was the point in quitting a job where, from what you said, you were literally getting paid to do nothing?

It's like you have amnesia and have forgotten that you actually did get a 4 year college degree at some point in your life. In spite of your other failings, you have outperformed the vast majority of adults in your state in that department. Why do you insist on applying for jobs that you could have gotten straight out of high school?

I think you need to go directly to the websites of a few major, reputable companies and look in their careers sections. Don't go to simplyhired.com or one of those sites; half that stuff is filler nonsense that most people self-filter out but that you have a tendency to be misled by. No direct referral selling. No call centers. Nothing that is offering to interview you that very day or the next day because those are precisely the kind of disposable joke jobs that are doing absolutely nothing for you.

You could start by researching some of these...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companies_based_in_Tulsa,_Oklahoma
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #273 on: July 28, 2014, 10:06:28 PM »

Tulsa Public Schools?  Given the quality of people Oklahoma produces, I'm inclined to think it's just a scam too.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #274 on: July 28, 2014, 10:07:54 PM »

I would probably try for the Secretary positions within TPS.

Just a quick glance of the link on my tablet looks like a good job.  When I get back to my computer I'll put in my application.  Thanks for the research.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies