Update XVI: Sidejackin' it in the Train Room.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:24:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVI: Sidejackin' it in the Train Room.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 80
Author Topic: Update XVI: Sidejackin' it in the Train Room.  (Read 170319 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: August 01, 2014, 04:49:26 PM »

I find it very unlikely that any real employer would hire someone within 2 hours of when they saw the ad, but hopefully I'm wrong old friend.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #426 on: August 01, 2014, 04:56:50 PM »

Yeah I'm quite skeptical of any job that'd do that or start in three days. We'll see.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #427 on: August 01, 2014, 05:15:46 PM »

What a roller coaster ride of ups and downs this season of Update has already been!

If this is in fact the real deal, congratulations!

Please work at getting your health issues under control so that you don't miss work all of the time and get fired again though. If you blow this gig because of headaches and stomach problems, the forum is REALLY going to come down on you and rightfully so.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #428 on: August 01, 2014, 05:29:35 PM »

What a roller coaster ride of ups and downs this season of Update has already been!

If this is in fact the real deal, congratulations!

Please work at getting your health issues under control so that you don't miss work all of the time and get fired again though. If you blow this gig because of headaches and stomach problems, the forum is REALLY going to come down on you and rightfully so.
^^^^

TOTALLY
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #429 on: August 01, 2014, 05:30:51 PM »

Tell us about the company.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #430 on: August 01, 2014, 05:38:13 PM »

Yay!!!!!!!!!
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #431 on: August 01, 2014, 05:59:06 PM »

Craigslist? Called you within 20 minutes? Hired on the spot? You can't be serious.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #432 on: August 01, 2014, 06:02:24 PM »

Congrats Bushie. I hope you will consider my advice about food stamps. Depending on your new salary, you may still be eligible for them, and not having to spend money on food will help you save to Kenya.

There is NO shame in accepting government assistance, because that's why it's there. Plus, you've paid into the system.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #433 on: August 01, 2014, 07:14:01 PM »

has anyone mentioned it would be much more efficient to apply online?  oh yeah, almost everyone has suggested that...

I do that, too, but there are some cases where face-to-face interactions have not gone out of style.  How do you possibly get immediate interviews when you apply at home?  That kind of thing does happen.

No job that is going to be worth taking will be likely to give an immediate interview.

I agree with this. Great companies are busy, and busy people making those great companies run can't drop everything to take an interview at a moment's notice. If you're looking for a career, expect the organization to have a hiring process that is lengthier than a handshake.

^^^^^^^

Bushie, please take the above into consideration.  While I would love to be wrong, how quickly this happened is a huge red flag.  Please pm me and j-mann some info (or any others you trust)

If I'm wrong, Congrats, but please be careful
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #434 on: August 01, 2014, 07:23:43 PM »

His diet can't help his headaches either. His body probably ran out of enough B vitamins and magnesium to avoid them by age 10 and of course his family doesn't even want to try and treat the problem with anything but medication.

His constant hunger and pain is probably his body begging him to eat a banana or avocado and instead is getting stuffed with bacon cheeseburgers by the truckload, leaving him completely unsatisfied.

And that he doesn't drink enough water... that's always a killer for me. Plus I've had migraines since I was 8, ie, longer than Bushie. You do realise migraines rely on a different physiological process than headaches... Migraines are not just more severe headaches.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #435 on: August 01, 2014, 07:41:44 PM »

...and on the job front, a muted congratulations.

Is this normal to find the job on Craigslist (aren't there actual employment websites?), interview and be offered a job in the period of 90 mins?

I mean, were references checked? No consideration of his technical knowledge/skill set?

Even if it is legit... it's a terribly unprofessional set up and alarm bells would be ringing.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #436 on: August 01, 2014, 07:51:43 PM »

...and on the job front, a muted congratulations.

Is this normal to find the job on Craigslist (aren't there actual employment websites?), interview and be offered a job in the period of 90 mins?

I mean, were references checked? No consideration of his technical knowledge/skill set?

Even if it is legit... it's a terribly unprofessional set up and alarm bells would be ringing.

Hopefully this is not what it means

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14PgWitIbSk&list=RD14PgWitIbSk
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #437 on: August 01, 2014, 08:43:58 PM »

Craigslist? Called you within 20 minutes? Hired on the spot? You can't be serious.

Yeah, Jeff, this sounds like you've fallen for another scam.  For your own sake, you should PM some of the trustworthy people with the information about this company.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #438 on: August 01, 2014, 08:51:36 PM »

Yeah, Jeff, this sounds like you've fallen for another scam.  For your own sake, you should PM some of the trustworthy people with the information about this company.

Inks, you bastard.  Stop being such a negative.  What does your typical scam have to do with CAD work?  What use does an MLM or lead-generation scheme have with drawings and drafts?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #439 on: August 01, 2014, 08:54:09 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2014, 09:00:28 PM by Lankford for US Senate 2014 »

I've done a little research and I've PM'd Smash and J-Mann for verification, but this is what I've found out through a quick 30 second research and the interview itself.

This is a very small company of maybe 10-15 employees with no website that I can see.  However, the owner, who sat in on the interview and actually does work, has been doing drafting work since the Eisenhower Administration in 1959.  55 years.

I will be on a trial period for 90 days through roughly November 1 that will determine if I'm a good fit for the company.  That will be determined by how quickly I pick it up and how well I do on the drawings.  Benefits would start after 90 days, medical, dental, and vision.  As of this time there is no retirement program, but I can easily start an IRA after I establish myself in this job.  They do offer direct deposit and pay every two weeks.  If I do well in the job, I can get off the trial period in less than 90 days.

I will be primarily taking drawings of heaters (HVAC) that the customers send to us and breaking them down into smaller, individual parts and then after getting them verified, sending the drawings to the engineers to have the products produced.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #440 on: August 01, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »

I've done a little research and I've PM'd Smash and J-Mann for verification, but this is what I've found out through a quick 30 second research and the interview itself.

This is a very small company of maybe 10-15 employees with no website that I can see.  However, the owner, who sat in on the interview and actually does work, has been doing drafting work since the Eisenhower Administration in 1959.  55 years.

Sounds promising to me.   Is anyone here actually suggest Bushie actually drop the whole thing due to the ease of the interview/hiring process and go dick around at a call center again?

That said, be careful with personal info, Jeff.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #441 on: August 01, 2014, 09:08:49 PM »

I mean the process certainly sounds weird, but who would dress up a scam in such a thoroughly un-sexy way?
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #442 on: August 01, 2014, 09:10:24 PM »

I mean the process certainly sounds weird, but who would dress up a scam in such a thoroughly un-sexy way?

You wouldn't.  Scam predators aren't going to be pulling in loads of gullibles by advertising AutoCAD work.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #443 on: August 01, 2014, 09:14:34 PM »

Inks, you bastard.  Stop being such a negative.  What does your typical scam have to do with CAD work?  What use does an MLM or lead-generation scheme have with drawings and drafts?

Two weeks ago if you would've asked me if I though there were scams out there for job applications for the Postal Service, I wouldn't have though they were as prevalent as they apparently are.  Your typical employer doesn't use Craigslist as their recruiting service.  Nobody said anything about MLM schemes.  There are plenty of other ways to scam people.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #444 on: August 01, 2014, 09:28:40 PM »

Seems legit enough -- based on just a few minutes of checking them out. The process was likely so hurried and unstructured because they're a) incredibly small and don't have any official HR function, and b) looking for someone entry level to trial for 90 days.

My advice, Jeff: do what you need to do to make REAL improvements -- even if they are small -- in your health. A grade-whatever headache that keeps you homebound during your second week on this trial, particularly if absences continue to be as much of a problem as they usually are for you, isn't going to impress.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #445 on: August 01, 2014, 09:39:53 PM »

Seems legit enough -- based on just a few minutes of checking them out. The process was likely so hurried and unstructured because they're a) incredibly small and don't have any official HR function, and b) looking for someone entry level to trial for 90 days.

My advice, Jeff: do what you need to do to make REAL improvements -- even if they are small -- in your health. A grade-whatever headache that keeps you homebound during your second week on this trial, particularly if absences continue to be as much of a problem as they usually are for you, isn't going to impress.

One thing that will help me out a bunch is that since I am in Downtown Tulsa, all the places to eat are a good walk away.  I only have an hour, so I will be mostly eating in the office saving calories and money.  Also, I am going to start fixing bacon and eggs and macaroni and cheese in the evenings for supper and limiting my restaurant visits to maybe twice a week.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #446 on: August 01, 2014, 09:43:26 PM »

Please try to fix yourselves things with vegetables in them instead of bacon and eggs and mac and cheese.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #447 on: August 01, 2014, 09:44:45 PM »

I was thinking this evening as my parents and I were going to dinner that I've only been out of CAD school for 4 2/3 months.  That's really not a bad length of time from finishing school to getting a related job.  It's been painful at times and I've had two attempts at call centers in the mean time, but I finished school on Monday, March 10, 2014 and was hired on Friday, August 1, 2014.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #448 on: August 01, 2014, 09:46:44 PM »

Please try to fix yourselves things with vegetables in them instead of bacon and eggs and mac and cheese.

I'll eventually add veggies in, as well.  But, home cooked B&E and M&C is a lot better than Braum's, McDonald's, and Wendy's...
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #449 on: August 01, 2014, 09:50:28 PM »

Bushie, don't even dream about missing a day of work during this 90 day trial.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies