Update XVI: Sidejackin' it in the Train Room.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:16:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVI: Sidejackin' it in the Train Room.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 80
Author Topic: Update XVI: Sidejackin' it in the Train Room.  (Read 170393 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: August 14, 2014, 03:40:02 PM »

Still, most soul feed has some collard greens, rhubarb, and okra.

The Bushie clan's aversion to produce is extreme for all cultures.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #926 on: August 14, 2014, 04:00:06 PM »

Cooking is a dying thing? People around here love to cook. Food is part of our culture in Charleston. Good food at that.

I've visited Charleston, and I agree you guys have a good food scene. You even have a local low country style of food heavy on rice and seafood.  What's really amazing to me is that per google, there is only one McDonalds location on the peninsula, right next to the Ashley River and a number of hotels. Perhaps the Charleston people are as food conscious as you say. That's not typical in America though. Google informs me there are about 40 McDonald's locations in Oklahoma County, OK. In the whole country, there are over 14,000. Yes, in any city you'll find people who like to cook and who have a talent for it. It's not such an uncommon thing. But we're not where we were a few decades back when it didn't take somebody with a particular interest in food to know how to make spaghetti without assistance. An extraordinary number of people today simply don't have a clue about food and, as you point out in Bushie's case, don't care much to either. After all, dinner is just as far as a quick trip through the drive through.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #927 on: August 14, 2014, 05:22:01 PM »

Good Thursday Evening! Another very good day is in the books and today was just as good as yesterday. I'm really starting to pick things up quite well. This evening is football and Big Brother. I'm going to get things ready to go tonight and load the car in the morning before I leave so I can go straight from work to my parents. This will be a quick trip home, as I'll be back up here in time for church on Sunday, and it will be my last trip home for the next 4 or 5 weeks.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #928 on: August 14, 2014, 05:29:29 PM »

Thanks Bushie for wishing me happy birthday on facebook Smiley

I hope you don't mind me sharing that fb tidbit Tongue
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #929 on: August 14, 2014, 05:33:01 PM »

Thanks Bushie for wishing me happy birthday on facebook Smiley

I hope you don't mind me sharing that fb tidbit Tongue

You're fine. Tongue
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #930 on: August 14, 2014, 05:33:48 PM »

Football? That preseason game between Jacksonville and Chicago?

Bushie, that's pointless television even for you. Watch a baseball game instead please Tongue
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #931 on: August 14, 2014, 06:18:12 PM »

Football? That preseason game between Jacksonville and Chicago?

Bushie, that's pointless television even for you. Watch a baseball game instead please Tongue

Haha, I thought about it, but I'm going to watch football, even if it is the Jags vs. Bears.  I'm still hungry for football after a long offseason.

Of course, I am the guy who sometimes watches some small school college football game instead of the World Series...  So, take that into account.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #932 on: August 14, 2014, 07:02:05 PM »

Tomorrow is the conclusion of Week 2 at work.  I can legitimately say this is a good job and one that I really enjoy.  I am doing much better this week than I did last week and my supervisor appears to be pleased.  I'll have some time alone with him tomorrow so I'll ask him for his thoughts.  I'm excited about what the second half of August holds for me in this job.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #933 on: August 14, 2014, 07:21:02 PM »

How many hours a week does Bushie spend either watching this awful Brother show or in church? Seems like every day those two things are on the agenda
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #934 on: August 14, 2014, 07:33:30 PM »

How many hours a week does Bushie spend either watching this awful Brother show or in church? Seems like every day those two things are on the agenda

Big Brother is on 3 nights a week, Sunday, Wednesday, and Thursday and I am at church every Sunday morning, Sunday evening and Wednesday evening as well as the second Monday night of each month.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #935 on: August 14, 2014, 07:41:04 PM »

Southerners just keep eating and eating in a single sitting until they just can't stuff any more in there, and that's considered normal.

While this is obviously true, I think it applies to other regions of America too.

(And Oklahoma isn't really a Southern state anyway.)
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #936 on: August 14, 2014, 08:01:15 PM »

Jeff's poor diet and inability to make substantive changes really does stem from education (or lack thereof) and economy. And no, yelling at him on the Atlas doesn't count as educating him, although he's gotten a significant amount of good advice and direction on which to follow up.

He knows he needs to eat better -- he just doesn't know how. Budgeting, choosing meals, etc. -- it all alludes him. And it's not unheard of for this to happen. Several years ago, I knew I needed to work out, but I didn't know how ... I'd go to gyms, make half-hearted attempts and get embarrassed because I didn't know how to do anything. I'd leave and never make progress.

I finally got a personal trainer, and it has and will make a lifelong difference.

What he needs is a qualified nutritionist who can help him plan weeks' or months' worth of meal plans, with shopping lists (priced to fit his budget) matched to the goals he needs to achieve. I thought at one time getting a nutritionist, but I don't think that ever happened. Even that would be inordinately pricey for him, I suppose.

The lower-class economy does not lend itself to healthy living, that's for sure.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #937 on: August 14, 2014, 08:44:22 PM »

Bushie went to a dietician a few times several seasons ago. It didn't really take. As one who is very concerned about obesity in America, I'd like to see some real data on what is effective for defatting people. We have a zillion dollar diet industry, but it's all before and after salesmanship. Surely, the CDC or somebody has actual information on what works and what doesn't?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #938 on: August 14, 2014, 08:45:11 PM »

Jeff's poor diet and inability to make substantive changes really does stem from education (or lack thereof) and economy. And no, yelling at him on the Atlas doesn't count as educating him, although he's gotten a significant amount of good advice and direction on which to follow up.

He knows he needs to eat better -- he just doesn't know how. Budgeting, choosing meals, etc. -- it all alludes him. And it's not unheard of for this to happen. Several years ago, I knew I needed to work out, but I didn't know how ... I'd go to gyms, make half-hearted attempts and get embarrassed because I didn't know how to do anything. I'd leave and never make progress.

I finally got a personal trainer, and it has and will make a lifelong difference.

What he needs is a qualified nutritionist who can help him plan weeks' or months' worth of meal plans, with shopping lists (priced to fit his budget) matched to the goals he needs to achieve. I thought at one time getting a nutritionist, but I don't think that ever happened. Even that would be inordinately pricey for him, I suppose.

The lower-class economy does not lend itself to healthy living, that's for sure.

Exactly.  He is a poor.  And our government is more concerned with pleasing the food lobby than giving people like Our Dear Friend good advice on nutrition.

Shame.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #939 on: August 14, 2014, 09:14:48 PM »

I will get off work at 1600 tomorrow and I am just going to go to my parents' from there.  That will get me to their house slightly before 1800.  I will probably come back late Saturday evening so I can be ready for church on Sunday.  I help lead the music at the church I just joined last Sunday, so I need to be there for that.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #940 on: August 14, 2014, 09:20:54 PM »

To the government's credit, they have a decent amount of publicly available nutritional guides and whatnot. It's more than enough to start with, even if it's not a tailored nutritional plan. It's just that Bushie isn't interested in reading them, nor is the government doing a particularly good job of promoting/improving the information. Better than nothing, anyway, but only if used.

The website isn't incredibly user friendly, but there's lots of info.

http://www.nutrition.gov/
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #941 on: August 14, 2014, 09:27:49 PM »

I help lead the music at the church I just joined last Sunday, so I need to be there for that.

Is this just singing, or instruments as well?  What does leading the music involve?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #942 on: August 14, 2014, 10:31:15 PM »

To the government's credit, they have a decent amount of publicly available nutritional guides and whatnot. It's more than enough to start with, even if it's not a tailored nutritional plan. It's just that Bushie isn't interested in reading them, nor is the government doing a particularly good job of promoting/improving the information. Better than nothing, anyway, but only if used.

What influence does that tiny program have in the face of Food Co.'s multibillion dollar advertising budget?  I'd bet Braum's spends more on publicity than government eatings tips.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #943 on: August 15, 2014, 12:16:35 AM »

What influence does that tiny program have in the face of Food Co.'s multibillion dollar advertising budget?  I'd bet Braum's spends more on publicity than government eatings tips.

No disagreement here!
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #944 on: August 15, 2014, 01:04:33 AM »

No disagreement here!

Braum's must already spend quite a bit to place their product in Update. I never even heard of it before this and now I feel like it is a household name.
Reginald
« Reply #945 on: August 15, 2014, 02:37:36 AM »

You guys don't even know the pure apathy that is Braum's marketing. They literally still run ads like this on the teevee, and their website looked like this... in 2012. Everything about the place is twenty years outdated.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #946 on: August 15, 2014, 03:20:51 AM »

That's cool that they treat their cows well though. Maybe Braum's ain't so bad after all.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #947 on: August 15, 2014, 03:27:42 AM »

You guys don't even know the pure apathy that is Braum's marketing. They literally still run ads like this on the teevee, and their website looked like this... in 2012. Everything about the place is twenty years outdated.

They've made a quantum leap here! I don't believe you about that commercial, though.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #948 on: August 15, 2014, 06:54:22 AM »

Good Friday Morning! I am running late so I'll make this brief.  I'm about to head off to work for Day 10 and the conclusion of Week 2.  I'll get off at 1600 and then head to Mom and Dad's from there.
TTS1996
Rookie
Australia
« Reply #949 on: August 15, 2014, 07:13:30 AM »

How dare they. How dare Braum's spend 30 seconds extolling the tastiness of their peaches on ice cream, rather than showing 30 seconds of furred arteries and heart attack victims followed by a message of "Now come to Braum's! There's an indifference to coronary problems at Braum's you'll enjoy!"

Honestly, for all the free market talk in the US, there seems often to be a ludicrous degree of nanny-statism amongst individual Americans that's unreal. Braum's are gonna sell Braum's. It isn't for Braum's to sell the health effects; it's for every individual to take 2 seconds to think before they order the double cheeseburger for the seventh lunch that week "Hmm, I'm grotesquely fat; might this double cheeseburger make me fatter?"

Someone who eats daily at Braum's doesn't wind up 21 or 22 stone through the wickedness of capitalism - at least not in the modern media era where diet information is a fingertip away - they do so because of their own choices.

Braum's gonna sell cheeseburgers. Your solution doesn't lie in tying Braum's hands behind their backs, but in making fat slobs realise, as anyone with two braincells realises, nutritional value and weight loss lies elsewhere.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies