Update XVI: Sidejackin' it in the Train Room.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:14:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVI: Sidejackin' it in the Train Room.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 80
Author Topic: Update XVI: Sidejackin' it in the Train Room.  (Read 170331 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1575 on: September 03, 2014, 05:49:25 PM »

you had two very good jobs: ng and the gas company...and you just up and quit both in such a manner that you cant be re-hired at either one?  ouch.

Now, I've got a third very good job.  I'm very hopeful about this one.  I'm one month in to the job and so far, so good.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1576 on: September 03, 2014, 05:51:11 PM »

Dinner tonight consisted of Bagel Bites cooked in my microwave.  For the first time in a long time, I did not go out or order out for dinner.  I only consumed 700 calories, too.  On the day, I've only had 1,450 calories.  My meals are over for the day, so that's where I will probably end up.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1577 on: September 03, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »

you had two very good jobs: ng and the gas company...and you just up and quit both in such a manner that you cant be re-hired at either one?  ouch.

Now, I've got a third very good job.  I'm very hopeful about this one.  I'm one month in to the job and so far, so good.

No chance that you'll randomly decide to quit this one?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1578 on: September 03, 2014, 06:03:14 PM »

No chance that you'll randomly decide to quit this one?

Nope
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1579 on: September 03, 2014, 06:10:29 PM »

what did papa bushie say when you quit ng?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1580 on: September 03, 2014, 06:13:28 PM »

He wasn't too happy, but he knew there was nothing he could do.  I was 2 months shy of my 26th birthday and he knew I was an adult to make my own decisions.  He didn't approve of that decision (and still doesn't).
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1581 on: September 03, 2014, 06:42:56 PM »

He wasn't too happy, but he knew there was nothing he could do.  I was 2 months shy of my 26th birthday and he knew I was an adult to make my own decisions.  He didn't approve of that decision (and still doesn't).

why did you quit?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1582 on: September 03, 2014, 06:51:36 PM »

All evidence to the contrary.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1583 on: September 03, 2014, 08:13:01 PM »

If you were my kid, that would've been the point where I said, "You're on your own financially."  Sure you were 25 and could make your own decisions, but most 25-year-olds making their own decisions don't end up spending the next 6 years of their lives dependent on their parents.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1584 on: September 03, 2014, 08:23:37 PM »

Again, why am I being attacked for something that happened 6 years ago?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1585 on: September 03, 2014, 08:42:00 PM »

Because you seem to be justifying it or thinking that it wasn't that bad of a decision.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1586 on: September 03, 2014, 09:16:55 PM »

Because you seem to be justifying it or thinking that it wasn't that bad of a decision.

Where am I justifying it?  I just don't wish to dwell on it.  You all seem to forget that I have corrected that decision for now, so this is all a completely meaningless discussion.  I did not mention it to get attacked, I mentioned it as a way to measure where I was and how far I've come.  So, I wish everyone would drop it.  Immediately.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1587 on: September 03, 2014, 09:27:45 PM »

Inks, what is your opinion of Jeff's current job and how he's doing?

That seems more relevant to his future success than whether he's properly atoning for bad decisions in the distant past to strangers on a web forum.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1588 on: September 03, 2014, 09:34:11 PM »

That seems more relevant to his future success than whether he's properly atoning for bad decisions in the distant past to strangers on a web forum.

Thank you.  I think what I'm doing now is far more relevant to my future than what I did over half a decade ago.  If I'm doing something wrong in my current job, let's have a discussion, but don't needlessly criticize me for mistakes I made a long time ago.  I realize it's much more fun to do the latter and I realize that my current job is getting kind of boring, but isn't that kind of the goal?  To make Update boring?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1589 on: September 03, 2014, 10:05:35 PM »

I think what he's doing now is great.  But Bushie has a tendency to repeat past mistakes (even though he's adamant that "this time will be different").  I'm absolutely happy that he's found himself a job that he enjoys, but it's only been a month.  Holding a job for a single month is not a big accomplishment, and Bushie's health continues to decline (we'll see if that changes as he continues with these new challenges).

But stuff like this is concerning:

You all seem to forget that I have corrected that decision for now, so this is all a completely meaningless discussion.

It's all in his mentality.  Over the years, we've seen Bushie regress, rather than progress.  His job and CAD attendance (excluding the current job) got worse over time.  His ability to cook got worse over time.  His health got worse over time.  Now, he claims that these things have changed, and for the moment, it looks like they have; however, he needs to actually realize his past mistakes and be conscious of his tendency to regress, otherwise his good habits will slowly fade away, and he'll go back to a period of regressing.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1590 on: September 03, 2014, 10:48:54 PM »

I'm pretty surprised (in a good way) that he apparently hasn't missed a day of work in a month's time.

Sure, most of us go months and months if not years without missing any work days but for Jeff that is really something.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1591 on: September 03, 2014, 11:13:24 PM »

I'm shocked and proud as well of bushie. Let's just hope he can keep it up!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1592 on: September 04, 2014, 06:57:21 AM »

Thanks, guys.  I am officially starting Month 2 today.  I really like this job.  I have been there every day for the past month.  Like Eraser said, that's nor normally a big deal, but with my history it is.  As far as the weight goes - I am down to 282.0 as of this morning which is 11 lbs since mid-July and 1.6 lbs since the challenge started on September 1.  Yesterday, I ended up at 1,600 calories on the day.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1593 on: September 04, 2014, 09:56:57 AM »

It's all in his mentality.  Over the years, we've seen Bushie regress, rather than progress.  His job and CAD attendance (excluding the current job) got worse over time.  His ability to cook got worse over time.  His health got worse over time.  Now, he claims that these things have changed, and for the moment, it looks like they have; however, he needs to actually realize his past mistakes and be conscious of his tendency to regress, otherwise his good habits will slowly fade away, and he'll go back to a period of regressing.

I hear you. I think all of us (including Jeff) agree that his decisionmaking processes haven't been good in the past, and that he continues to struggle in areas like how he's eating.

You and I both want what's best for Jeff. One tactic is to keep pointing to past decisions and discussing why they were bad. The problem with that is, that's what we've ALL been doing the last 7 years of Update, and it's not the right key for this lock. Jeff knows where he's made mistakes, we've established that. The challenge has been getting into good behaviors.

And now for the first time in a long time Jeff's been unequivocally successful in one area and has been doing everything people suggested. He's got a job appropriate for his skills and temperament, and he's getting up and going to work every single day. To support Jeff, we need to recognize his success here as a foundation for greater change. The key to making good decisions isn't just knowing what you're doing wrong. It's to feel good about yourself—for solid reasons—and to feel in control of your life.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1594 on: September 04, 2014, 10:07:38 AM »

Good points, b33.  I am thrilled that he has a very positive attitude toward this job and he knows how important being a model employee is during this early stage.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1595 on: September 04, 2014, 10:58:28 AM »

I'm not going to criticize Bushie over that distant past, but you have to admit it's hilarious he'd leave Northrop Grumman--a company with offices in all 50 states, in Europe, and Asia--on a whim for a call center in Dallas because he wanted to get out of Oklahoma. It's just another great Update moment.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1596 on: September 04, 2014, 12:35:47 PM »

Lunch time.  My boss is in a pretty crabby mood so it's making the day not as good as it could be.  Im trying to understand something, but he keeps yelling at me that I don't get it, yet.  One of my coworkers is going to look at it with me after lunch.  I'm just ready for this day to be over...
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1597 on: September 04, 2014, 01:07:47 PM »

Welp, back to the call centers.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1598 on: September 04, 2014, 01:10:40 PM »

RIP Cry
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1599 on: September 04, 2014, 01:15:59 PM »

I must say it was another masterful turn by the writers. Perhaps the best yet. The perfectly timed Northrup Grumman flashback instigated an Inks scene that led to the forum consensus, literally the night before he was going to get fired, that Bushie had finally found stable employment and we should all be proud of him.

You could not play an audience any better.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies