Update XVI: Sidejackin' it in the Train Room.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:23:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVI: Sidejackin' it in the Train Room.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 80
Author Topic: Update XVI: Sidejackin' it in the Train Room.  (Read 170566 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1825 on: September 10, 2014, 12:20:10 PM »

lol. I didn't catch the "carry on as normal" bit the first read.

Another thing I noticed the second time: The reason he didn't like the sauce on his steak was because it was too sweet, so he had oreos, fudge, and ice cream for dinner instead. Simply brilliant.

The hours thing isn't a big deal. Being creative to leave early on Friday is perfectly fine if the employee is doing great work. Jeff, of course, is not.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1826 on: September 10, 2014, 12:23:41 PM »

I think it would look much better if he stayed late to finish projects or learn what he was doing wrong instead of checking out of there immediately when his shift ends. If I recall, he's left to go home at 4:30 before when he hadn't finished a project and just finished it the next day. Imagine if he stayed late to finish it? That would look good for him.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1827 on: September 10, 2014, 12:38:42 PM »

We need Russ Powers of Oklahoma to come to Bushie's rescue.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1828 on: September 10, 2014, 12:42:26 PM »

Lunch time.  Today is going much, much better.  He seems happy with me today.  Crisis seems to have been averted for the time being.  I feel good about things again.  I'm still keeping in mind what he said yesterday and working to produce a better project.  My boss is getting the best I can offer from now on.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1829 on: September 10, 2014, 12:51:44 PM »

I've been here 5 hours today and it already seems as if my quality of work has improved.  I'm not feeling as if I have one foot out the door.  I can do it, and for today, at least, it seems that I am doing it.  I'll make sure I don't get too cocky, though. Smiley
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1830 on: September 10, 2014, 01:02:03 PM »

Your judgement on the quality of  you work is not important. You've thought it was terrific up to this point as well.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1831 on: September 10, 2014, 01:09:44 PM »

lol. I didn't catch the "carry on as normal" bit the first read.

Another thing I noticed the second time: The reason he didn't like the sauce on his steak was because it was too sweet, so he had oreos, fudge, and ice cream for dinner instead. Simply brilliant.

The hours thing isn't a big deal. Being creative to leave early on Friday is perfectly fine if the employee is doing great work. Jeff, of course, is not.

Maybe after 90 or 180 days, but I disagree for an employee in the first month.  Someone who's only been there a month doesn't understand the schedules and deadlines.  A new employee isn't going to understand to complexities of the potentials for emergencies to come up late in the week that requite attention on Friday (to avoid delaying the project an additional 2+ days), and that's why employers are hesitant about people taking off early on Fridays early into the job.  Granted, it's different from job to job, but employers like consistency early on in an employees tenure, and leaving sporadically early based on extra hours during the week isn't consistent.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1832 on: September 10, 2014, 01:23:07 PM »

I understand what you're saying, but that can managed simply by being committed to finishing all assignments. If you've reached a point where you're out of assignments to do, by all means leave early. He's leaving early while not being done. That's the real problem here. Bushie is hitting the clock at his career like it's just another job. He's more precise filling out his timecard than filling out his workload.

Right now I'm posting on the Atlas at work on the company dime, but I'm confident about doing it because I'm always ahead of schedule and I view the leisure I'm taking as aid to my productivity.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1833 on: September 10, 2014, 01:25:28 PM »

My boss is getting the best I can offer from now on.

That's what he's needed up until this point, and maybe he hasn't gotten it.......but good, good, improvement.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1834 on: September 10, 2014, 01:35:12 PM »

Tensing up and showing more effort at work isn't all that needs to be done. I'm thinking the knowledge deficit is greater than the effort. Remember, Bushie slacked off hard in school. A good portion of boss frustration is likely how undereducated he seems on certain aspects.

He needs to turn off the TV, turn on the AutoCAD, get the textbooks from school out of storage, and study in the evenings, too.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1835 on: September 10, 2014, 01:50:59 PM »

I understand what you're saying, but that can managed simply by being committed to finishing all assignments. If you've reached a point where you're out of assignments to do, by all means leave early. He's leaving early while not being done. That's the real problem here. Bushie is hitting the clock at his career like it's just another job. He's more precise filling out his timecard than filling out his workload.

Right now I'm posting on the Atlas at work on the company dime, but I'm confident about doing it because I'm always ahead of schedule and I view the leisure I'm taking as aid to my productivity.

I disagree; I find that even if you finish a project at noon on Friday, an employer (and we're talking about brand new employees only) would be happier to see you start a new project than go home.  It shows dedication and ensures the employer that if the project hadn't been finished early, that you'd be willing to stay late.  Granted, that's just my limited experience and my views.

Tensing up and showing more effort at work isn't all that needs to be done. I'm thinking the knowledge deficit is greater than the effort. Remember, Bushie slacked off hard in school. A good portion of boss frustration is likely how undereducated he seems on certain aspects.

He needs to turn off the TV, turn on the AutoCAD, get the textbooks from school out of storage, and study in the evenings, too.

Absolutely agree here.  His parents paid hundreds in AutoCAD.  Clearly doing AutoCAD while watching TV isn't working (assuming he's actually been doing that).  It's time to turn off the TV and focus on saving his job.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1836 on: September 10, 2014, 01:53:10 PM »

Bushie is paid hourly. Guarantee his boss doesn't want to pay him oveertime. He needs to get his work done in 40 hours/week. Also, first impressions are hard to overcome. He needs to show some serious improvement.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1837 on: September 10, 2014, 04:37:05 PM »

ouch this does not sound good.

it sounds as if he was given an october deadline to improve....or else.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1838 on: September 10, 2014, 05:05:52 PM »

This is the best advice. He slacked off in CAD school, barely graduated with a C, missed half the classes and refused to do the final project. And then he spent 3 or 4 months not doing any CAD at all while he looked for a job and took naps all day. There's only so much learning on the job his boss is going to tolerate.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1839 on: September 10, 2014, 05:15:46 PM »

Yeah, his comment about Halloween makes me believe he was given a month or so to turn things around. I hope he can do it, but I have a feeling we will be back on the job hunt fairly soon.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1840 on: September 10, 2014, 05:26:01 PM »

Hey, guys, I am home from work.  Today was a much better day.  I felt like part of the team today.  He told me at the end of the day he is committed to working with me, and was pleased with what I got done today.  I am pleased with today and he is pleased with today.  I no longer feel on the chopping block like I did last night.  I've got a day and a half of work left in Week 6.  I will work until 1700 tomorrow evening and then work until 1200 Friday.  I would work all day Friday, but I have to pack up my computer so we can move offices over the weekend.  I'll resume my work at the new office on Monday.  All is good in my world, at least for now.  The Halloween time frame is just the end of the 90 days (officially November 3).

Lief, I nearly got a B in school, 79 is one point away from a B.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1841 on: September 10, 2014, 05:27:26 PM »

Yeah, his comment about Halloween makes me believe he was given a month or so to turn things around. I hope he can do it, but I have a feeling we will be back on the job hunt fairly soon.

What comment about Halloween?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1842 on: September 10, 2014, 05:41:20 PM »

Lief, I nearly got a B in school, 79 is one point away from a B.

I nearly invested in Apple stock in 2003 when it was 1/1000th it's currently value. Nearly.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1843 on: September 10, 2014, 05:42:30 PM »

A 79 is a C+.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1844 on: September 10, 2014, 05:43:56 PM »

Exactly.  It's not barely a C.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1845 on: September 10, 2014, 05:55:14 PM »

Bushie, your feelings are erratic. One day you think you're on the chopping block and the next day you're on top of the world. Your employer's feelings about you do not change that quickly.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1846 on: September 10, 2014, 06:00:40 PM »

As a manager, when we take on somebody new, we usually figure out fairly quickly if we've made a terrible mistake in hiring them.  If so, that's when we start to 'performance manage' them out the door by the end of their 90 day induction.  We do 30 day reviews, then 60 days, then finally 90 days.  If we want to get rid of them, then we give them a less-than-appealing review at the 30 day mark.  Chances are things won't have improved dramatically by 60 days, and if by 90 days we're still wanting to get rid of them, then that's the time we do it.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1847 on: September 10, 2014, 06:02:17 PM »

Can we get back to my question from a few days ago?:

I'm home from the potluck game night.  We had a Mexican potluck and as predicted, I didn't eat a whole lot.  In fact, I am pretty hungry right now, but I'm okay for the night.  We played a couple games as a group and had a great time of fellowship and fun.

What games did you play?

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1848 on: September 10, 2014, 06:03:05 PM »

Bushie, your feelings are erratic. One day you think you're on the chopping block and the next day you're on top of the world. Your employer's feelings about you do not change that quickly.

I'm still learning how to read him.  I'm sure he's still disappointed so far, but I think today was a good day and went part of the way to changing his mind.  My approach has not changed after today.  I'm still going to give him my best and make the very most of each day.  If he is still fully committed to me like he says he is, then I am eager to return the favor.  I am not going to get caught looking ahead anymore.  Instead, I am going to take this one day at a time.  Wednesday was a good start.  I Now, it is time to make Thursday just as good as Wednesday.  Tomorrow evening, I will focus on Friday morning.  I'm not going to get caught planning for employment beyond October when I still have work to do to get there in September.  I feel a lot better, though, about things today than I did yesterday.  My boss did seem genuinely pleased today, which is what counts.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1849 on: September 10, 2014, 06:04:18 PM »

Can we get back to my question from a few days ago?:

I'm home from the potluck game night.  We had a Mexican potluck and as predicted, I didn't eat a whole lot.  In fact, I am pretty hungry right now, but I'm okay for the night.  We played a couple games as a group and had a great time of fellowship and fun.

What games did you play?

A couple games called Telestrations and another one called Logos.  Quite fun with lots of laughs.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies