Update XVI: Sidejackin' it in the Train Room.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:29:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVI: Sidejackin' it in the Train Room.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80
Author Topic: Update XVI: Sidejackin' it in the Train Room.  (Read 170379 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1875 on: September 10, 2014, 10:42:39 PM »

I love his classic excuses! "It's the way I was raised, it runs in the family, my kinfolk are all this way."
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1876 on: September 10, 2014, 11:12:02 PM »

What did hereditary clock watches do before the invention of the clock?
Stare directly into the sun.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1877 on: September 11, 2014, 01:50:37 AM »

Can you elaborate on what you mean by clock watching?  Do you sit at a desk and stare at a clock all day instead of working. My chemistry teacher had a sign on his clock that said "Time will pass. Will you?" I'm sure he thought he was very clever.

I sat and looked at my watch constantly.  I did my work, but I would constantly look down at my watch every 2-3 minutes.

Wow. Why torture yourself like that? I know you don't really enjoy doing this CAD stuff but your day would go by a lot quicker if you ignored the clock and focused on the task or tasks at hand.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1878 on: September 11, 2014, 02:46:26 AM »

Can we add 'Hereditary Clock Watcher' and 'Go All In On The Focus Part Of It' to the Update Quote Bank?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1879 on: September 11, 2014, 03:44:05 AM »

Bushie, your feelings are erratic. One day you think you're on the chopping block and the next day you're on top of the world. Your employer's feelings about you do not change that quickly.

I'm still learning how to read him.  I'm sure he's still disappointed so far, but I think today was a good day and went part of the way to changing his mind.  My approach has not changed after today.  I'm still going to give him my best and make the very most of each day.  If he is still fully committed to me like he says he is, then I am eager to return the favor.  I am not going to get caught looking ahead anymore.  Instead, I am going to take this one day at a time.  Wednesday was a good start.  I Now, it is time to make Thursday just as good as Wednesday.  Tomorrow evening, I will focus on Friday morning.  I'm not going to get caught planning for employment beyond October when I still have work to do to get there in September.  I feel a lot better, though, about things today than I did yesterday.  My boss did seem genuinely pleased today, which is what counts.

The problem with this is that up until your performance review, you thought almost every other day "was a good day", when in reality, that apparently wasn't actually the case.  Hopefully you weren't giving it your best before, because apparently your best isn't good enough.  To say that your approach won't change is foolish, because your approach so far has gotten you to a point where you really don't want to be after 30 days.

And of course the suggestion of Bushie practicing CAD after work was quickly brushed aside.

I may do a little bit tonight, but mostly I am confident of my abilities, I just need to go all in on the focus part of it.

So then all of the mistakes you've made so far weren't technical in nature, but rather were caused by a lack of focus?  If that statement isn't true for every single mistake you made at the job, then you do need to practice CAD.  As for being confident in your abilities, you've already proven that you're a terrible judge at that.  You thought you were guaranteed an A in your class, and you ended up getting a C+.  No matter how close it was to a B-, it wasn't a B-.  You got a C+.  Period.  In a class that you were confident you were going to get an A in.  Clearly you're not a good judge of your own abilities or performance.

You all are really overreacting.  Its possible I could be underreacting, but you all are blowing this out of proportion.  Yes, I had a poor review yesterday and my weakness was not giving my all into the drawings while at work and watching the clock.  Yes, I have a tendency to watch the clock, but that's hereditary.  My grandmother is a clock-watcher, my mother is a clock-watcher, and I am a clock-watcher.  My dad and his parents don't know what a clock looks like.  They're totally opposite.  Because I have been watching the clock too much, I have been hurrying and paying slightly less attention to my detail and my drawings.  That was his biggest beef with me was the clock watching.  I definitely need to work on that.  I think I did a better job of it today.

I know there is more I could be doing, but I feel good about the day I put in today.  I will work a full 9 hours tomorrow, so I'll get a little extra time to make some progress.

Clock-watching is not hereditary.  That's a load of bull crap, and I hope you know it; if you actually think it's hereditary, then you're really doomed when it comes to saving your job.  I've been warning about this stuff... I'd imagine that your boss generally isn't happy that you're out immediately when you want to be early on Fridays.  And this "I will work a full 9 hours tomorrow" is just a continuation of this clock-watching attitude.  Focus less on the amount of time that you're at work and focus more on getting your assignments done.  Have you asked your boss about his opinion of you leaving so early on Fridays?  If you asked him, I'm willing to bet that he'd say he's not too thrilled with that.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1880 on: September 11, 2014, 05:01:39 AM »

Is the ice cream and fries challenge RIP already? 
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1881 on: September 11, 2014, 06:41:44 AM »

Wait...what? I don't get how you haven't figured life out yet. Stop wearing a watch. I get into work at 7:15 or so, and I tend to work through lunch, and leave around 6ish. Why do I do that? There is work to be done. I don't rush things because I don't want to make mistakes, I need to get it right, because my customers depend on me doing it right.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1882 on: September 11, 2014, 07:07:48 AM »

Inks, I have already said that while the clock watching is hereditary (according to my mother), I can't blame anything on that.

Also, about the leaving early on Friday's, that is HIS idea, not mine.  He doesn't want to pay overtime, so I work extra during the week and take off early on Fridays.  He mentioned that initially, not me.  So, do not attack me for something that was his idea.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1883 on: September 11, 2014, 07:33:36 AM »

Lol @ Bushie thinking he's being attacked yet again.  You're the one who is going to lose your job,  bud.

Look back at this moment right here. This is where you could have hit the books and saved it, but instead went with the non-change Focus on Focusing plan. 

You say you regret not learning Civil CAD? Go to the book store and pick up Civil CAD for Dummies or whatever.  People can learn without going to school. Give it the same attention you give bible study.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1884 on: September 11, 2014, 07:37:32 AM »
« Edited: September 11, 2014, 09:15:50 AM by Eraserhead »

I think he's content taking it easy and hoping for the best. He knows that his parents will be there to catch him if he falls yet again.

The unfortunate thing is that they won't be there forever.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1885 on: September 11, 2014, 09:07:41 AM »

It's just like his diet/exercise plans. Rather than actually do anything, he's just going to try to will it into existence by thinking hard enough about it.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1886 on: September 11, 2014, 09:18:17 AM »

It's just like his diet/exercise plans. Rather than actually do anything, he's just going to try to will it into existence by thinking hard enough about it.
Jobs are sustained by faith alone, prude.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1887 on: September 11, 2014, 09:33:49 AM »

Bushie, are you wearing a watch in the office today?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1888 on: September 11, 2014, 10:54:15 AM »

Also, "it's just focus" is confirmed on the record crap. The day of his boss having the crabby mood, Bushie said clearly there was "a learning curve" and he was "trying to understand something" but the boss kept saying he wasn't getting it. That's not just clock-watching. He's lacking knowledge on how to do something CAD and he's not doing anything about it.

Perception-wise, his boss probably considers him an idiot at the moment and his co-workers are probably annoyed by dumb questions he asks at work.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1889 on: September 11, 2014, 12:38:13 PM »

It is lunch time and today is tremendous.  I am catching other people's errors and correcting them.  My boss seems very happy today.  The day has flown by since I've been really busy.  I just wish you guys could be here with me to observe his reactions the past two days.  He's used words like good catch, good point, and good job.  It's a very good day indeed!
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1890 on: September 11, 2014, 01:43:52 PM »

It is lunch time and today is tremendous.  I am catching other people's errors and correcting them.  My boss seems very happy today.  The day has flown by since I've been really busy.  I just wish you guys could be here with me to observe his reactions the past two days.  He's used words like good catch, good point, and good job.  It's a very good day indeed!

Now THAT'S what I call going all in on focus!

Good job, Bushie!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1891 on: September 11, 2014, 05:41:29 PM »

I'm confused. Isn't Bushie working on a computer the whole day at CAD job? A normal windows PC shows the time in the bottom right corner. Why would you also need to look at your watch? And if you knew this is a problem, why would you still wear a watch to work?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1892 on: September 11, 2014, 05:48:44 PM »

Can I just say how much I would watching Bushie pull someone else up on their work? The looks on their faces must be priceless.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1893 on: September 11, 2014, 05:54:41 PM »

Good Thursday Evening! Oh my goodness today was a beautiful day!! I had a headache throughout the day (still have it), but I was really encouraged today. He is appearing to become more confident in me and is starting to place a little more responsibility on me. So far, so good!! The 30-day evaluation is old news. I know it is still a factor and still at play here, but the past two days gives me a lot of encouragement of being able to stay put in this job. I'm not cocky right now, but I'm growing more and more confident. Tonight is Thursday Night Football on CBS and then tomorrow is moving day. I will probably work up until Noon tomorrow and then pack up my computer and printer and get them ready to transport to the new office. It will be a fun day. I still don't know when I'll get out of there tomorrow. The plan is 1600, but it could be earlier if we get everything packed up in time. When I do get out of there, I am going to go on down to my parents' and spend the night with them tomorrow night.  I will be back before 2100 Saturday night.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1894 on: September 11, 2014, 05:57:03 PM »

I'm confused. Isn't Bushie working on a computer the whole day at CAD job? A normal windows PC shows the time in the bottom right corner. Why would you also need to look at your watch? And if you knew this is a problem, why would you still wear a watch to work?

I feel naked without a watch.  Even if there are clocks on the computer and/or walls, I still feel lost without a watch.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #1895 on: September 11, 2014, 06:04:25 PM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1896 on: September 11, 2014, 06:04:44 PM »

Okay but you'll feel even more naked/lost without a job sooo...
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1897 on: September 11, 2014, 06:52:15 PM »

Don't go around correcting other people. You're the new guy. Nobody wants to be corrected by the newbie who just got a piss poor review.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1898 on: September 11, 2014, 07:05:53 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2014, 07:08:22 PM by Christmas Bushie 2014 »

Don't go around correcting other people. You're the new guy. Nobody wants to be corrected by the newbie who just got a piss poor review.

I didn't confront anybody about it, but I alerted my boss to make sure I was right about the mistakes of others.  I had to go back in and correct their mistakes so I could work with a completely accurate drawing.  My boss made a measurement error on one of the markups he gave me this morning.  I asked him about it, politely, to make sure I was on the right track and he said "oops" and "good catch" and he corrected the markup.  Like you said, I'm way too new to confront anybody about the errors.  I do have an obligation to the engineers, though, to bring any errors I see to my supervisor and then get his okay to correct them.  The field engineers expect completely accurate drawings, because one minor error can cost thousands of dollars.  So, the accurate drawings gives them a stable and accurate financial ledger.  For example, my boss was off by 4 inches on two or three of the measurements.  Just those 4 inches could have cost the engineers $800-$1,200 depending on how much per pound the material costs.  By my awareness of the situation and not taking anything at face value, I probably saved the powers that be some $1,500 today.  I had an attitude that I was going to double check and triple check work that was done months ago to make sure there aren't any discrepancies.  Where there are discrepancies, I double check my own calculations and trace the values back to the source and I did find a few errors by various people that, again, could have cost $1,500 or so if left unchecked.  Remember, I am dealing with humans here.  Humans make mistakes.  People will double check and triple check my work and will probably find errors every now and then, so it's only fair that I find and correct some of their errors.  It's a part of the checks and balances system we have set up.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1899 on: September 11, 2014, 07:09:48 PM »

...so you 'told on them'?
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80  
« previous next »
Jump to: