Is the death penalty justice or revenge?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:05:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is the death penalty justice or revenge?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is the death penalty justice or revenge?
Justice

Revenge

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 82

Author Topic: Is the death penalty justice or revenge?  (Read 4699 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 26, 2014, 07:02:14 AM »

Just something I was thinking of while reading about the Arizona case. I feel it is revenge, which is not necessarily an attack on the death penalty. I think it is natural for family members to want revenge and one cannot fault them for that. Still, we should stop pretending the death penalty is justice.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 07:52:15 AM »

No act so absolute as killing could ever be called justice.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 08:14:33 AM »

No act so absolute as killing could ever be called justice.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 08:37:22 AM »

No reason why it can't be both.  It doesn't matter at all if there is an element of revenge, so long as justice is involved.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 08:53:18 AM »

Measured revenge is a very basic form of justice. So, I do think that in some terrible situations the death penalty serves as justice for a few people, or for society, when considered by itself.

However, the death penalty in the real world means much more than punishment for one person. The permanence of death goes too far. The fact that the State is responsible for overseeing the controlled ending of human life ought to be terrifying for the small government conservative as well. Weird bunch.

I'd say that the death penalty prioritizes revenge over justice. And it's icky.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 09:02:01 AM »

The family is irrelevant, after all the punishment is the result of a case like "The State of Arizona vs. Johnson," not "The Family of John Q. Public vs. Johnson."

The justice element is fairly obvious and barbaric in a way I suppose.  It's an eye for an eye.  You took a life, we'll take yours.  That could be framed as revenge, but it's just in how you look at it.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 09:38:55 AM »

Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 09:41:50 AM »

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 09:46:51 AM »

It is revenge, undoubtedly, for the state to do the same thing that the criminal did. Killing should not be considered justice.
rosin
Rookie
Denmark

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 09:50:12 AM »

"Justice" is just another word for revenge endorsed by the authorities.
Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 10:22:40 AM »

Our legal system has nothing to do with "justice." It's all about revenge.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 11:16:30 AM »

Suppose a convicted serial killer is sentenced to natural life in prison without parole. While in prison the killer manages to fabricate a knife and kills a prison guard. There is no additional incarceration that the justice system can add to the killer's sentence. If the death penalty is used in this case, I would consider it justice, not revenge.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 11:20:05 AM »

Suppose a convicted serial killer is sentenced to natural life in prison without parole. While in prison the killer manages to fabricate a knife and kills a prison guard. There is no additional incarceration that the justice system can add to the killer's sentence. If the death penalty is used in this case, I would consider it justice, not revenge.

To be honest, that's more an argument against sentences without parole than a justification for capital punishment.

By all means, keep some people locked up for the rest of their natural lives, but it should be subject to review after a certain amount of time in the vast majority of cases. It's ok if the result is that parole shouldn't be granted for whatever reason, but taking away all hope takes away any incentive to rehabilitate.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 11:23:35 AM »

If capital punishment is revenge, it's the lamest form of revenge in history.

Capital punishment is obviously a lazy misadventure on our journey to create sophisticated prison systems and enforcement agencies.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 11:31:45 AM »

To be honest, that's more an argument against sentences without parole than a justification for capital punishment.

By all means, keep some people locked up for the rest of their natural lives, but it should be subject to review after a certain amount of time in the vast majority of cases. It's ok if the result is that parole shouldn't be granted for whatever reason, but taking away all hope takes away any incentive to rehabilitate.

I wanted to illustrate that capital punishment need not be used as revenge, but can be part of a justice system. It becomes the punishment when all other punishments are exhausted.

Your observation raises a different issue. I would not confuse justice with rehabilitation, they aren't the same thing. The state can choose to use the time a convict is serving to facilitate rehabilitation, but that is not the same as justice. Most data I've seen suggests that intentional rehabilitation by the state is ineffective, but providing opportunities for rehabilitation means that a few convicts will take advantage of those opportunities and rehabilitate themselves.
GaussLaw
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 11:44:35 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f7nGWPvnKw
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 12:09:18 PM »

That is an interesting case you bring up and I would agree with you in this particular case. In order to keep society safe, we would need to kill a person like that.

For the most part though, the death penalty is just government sanctioned revenge killing. I can see how that could be fine in really heinous cases like the rape/murder of the PT student in India(where the death penalty was used after a long time) or the Boston marathon bombers, but the death penalty really needs to be used much more selectively than it is today in America. It should not be used for every random gang member who shoots another gang member.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2014, 12:40:03 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2014, 01:20:19 PM »

It's definitely both.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2014, 05:53:33 PM »

It's a false dichotomy -- "justice" and "revenge" are very, very frequently -- perhaps most of the time -- the same thing. Since I support the death penalty and justice has more positive connotations I voted for that, but the distinction is totally meaningless.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2014, 06:00:02 PM »

I'm against the death but I really don't get what you guys are trying to say here. An action can't be just if it's absolute?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2014, 06:08:24 PM »

It has aspects of both.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2014, 06:17:44 PM »

Indeed it can't. Measure is the hallmark of justice.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2014, 07:21:55 PM »

While I get where the anti-death penalty people come from (I am uncomfortable with its use unless there is absolute proof of guilt, and I understand it is heavily misused), I have a question for you all: do you think that life in prison until they die of natural causes is "humane" and preferable in itself?

Spending the rest of my natural life in a prison (we're talking 60+ years here) is no better to me than execution. What reason is there to live anymore? Not to mention the enormous financial burden I would place on the state, as well as the shame of association and emotional burden I would place on my family.

Of course, I'm just speaking for myself, but I'm interested in your opinions.

FTR: voted justice, believe it's both justice and revenge.

Of course life imprisonment is harsh, and that is a good argument that the death penalty is not necessary for inflicting firm justice.  I personally believe that life imprisonment should be reserved only for the most heinous crimes, and it should not be applied to juveniles.

If life imprisonment is as harsh as death, then why is the death penalty necessary?  I get the argument that life behind bars is as bad, but for an innocent person sentenced to life, at least that person will have the the rest of his or her natural life to hope for exoneration.
GaussLaw
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2014, 07:39:16 PM »

Do you also oppose LWOP sentences then?  Because I consider it a functional equivalent....you are sentenced to die within the perimeter of the prison.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies