TIMELINE: Dukakis wins '88
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:26:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  TIMELINE: Dukakis wins '88
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: TIMELINE: Dukakis wins '88  (Read 25781 times)
dudeabides
Tuvalu
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 26, 2014, 07:03:38 PM »

Election Day 1988: SURPRISE: Dukakis pulls upset
WASHINGTON, DC - Governor of Massachusetts Michael Dukakis pulled an upset in the 1988 presidential race. Despite polls showing Vice President George H.W. Bush leading Dukakis by anywhere from 8-10 percent, Dukakis won 51%-48%.

Dukakis / Bentsen (D) 51% 271 EV
Bush / Quayle (R) 48% 267 EV

Highlights of the Dukakis Administration, January 20, 1989 - January 2, 1991
- January 20, 1989 - Michael Dukakis and Llyod Bentsen are sworn into office
- March 1, 1989 - President Dukakis signs the largest expansion of medicaid into law
- March 21, 1989 - President Dukakis signs a budget into law which increases funding for medicaid and medicare while cutting the defense budget by $40 billion and reverses the Reagan tax cuts over two years
- June 27, 1989 - President Dukakis signs a $250 billion tax increase into law in order to reduce the projected 1990 deficit in half. The tax increase is on income for those making more than $150,000 per year
- January 18, 1990 - President Dukakis signs a bi-partsian bill placing tougher economic sanctions against Iraqi Dictator Saddam Hussein, who invaded Kuwait
- March 1, 1990 - House Minority Leader Newt Gingrich, Senate Minority Leader Bob Dole, and Senator John McCain of Arizona call on President Dukakis to deploy troops to Kuwait to drive Saddam Hussein out. The President says he opposes military action against Hussein.
- November 8, 1990 - Republicans regain a majority in the U.S. Senate and House, having run against the Dukakis tax increases and defense cuts
- December 14, 1990 - President Dukakis says that by 1992, the federal budget will be balanced
- December 19, 1990 - President Dukakis declines to agree to the North American Free Trade Agreement

January 4, 1991 - Kean enters presidential race

CLARK, NJ - Former Governor of New Jersey Tom Kean declared he would be a candidate for President in the 1992 election. "What we face today as a country is a clear choice. The President has taken us in the wrong direction. He's raised taxes, made it harder for us to compete globally, he's weakened our defenses, and he's taken money away from our schools and instead spent it on expensive entitlement programs in desperate need of reform. I believe in the people of this country and that the people is the source of our greatness, not Washington D.C. In New Jersey, I reduced taxes, took on welfare, and enhanced the security of our citizens. It's that model that I'll follow in Washington" Kean told supporters.

January 21, 1991 - McCain to make longshot presidential bid

PHOENIX, AZ - Senator John McCain of Arizona declared his intention to seek the Republican presidential nomination in the 1992 election. "I'm running because I believe this President has not addressed the issue of Saddam Hussein invading Kuwait, nor do I believe cutting our defense budget and having a plan to shrink our military is in our national security interests" McCain told reporters.

February 7, 1991 - Laffer to run for President

CLEVELAND, OH - Economist Art Laffer, a former advisor to President Ronald Reagan, announced he would seek the Republican Presidential Nomination in 1992. "I'm running for President because I believe our economy needs another round of large tax reductions and that the current administration has implemented too many regulations, I think we need to empower individuals and the states as opposed to the federal government" Laffer told supporters.

March 1, 1991 - Dole enters presidential race

RUSSELL, KS - Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole announced he would be a candidate for President in 1992. "I pledge to the American people, as President, I will cut taxes and balance the budget. I will sign NAFTA into law. I will restore the President's defense cuts, and I will confront Saddam Hussein's invasion of Kuwait. In the U.S. Senate, I fought to invest in our military while reducing taxes under President Reagan. I fought against this President's 1991 budget and forced him to cut that budget by over $200 billion. I know how to lead, and I'll be a strong, effective, conservative President" Dole stated.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 07:18:31 PM »

Art Laffer is an interesting choice. I assume Buchanan and several others will jump into the race as well. Does the USSR still collapse as in reality?
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 09:01:41 PM »

Art Laffer is an interesting choice. I assume Buchanan and several others will jump into the race as well. Does the USSR still collapse as in reality?

Yes to the USSR

Maybe to Buchanan.......
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 11:04:07 PM »

I see some of the usual suspects here (Dole, McCain). I predict that Rudy Giuliani will have served at least one term as President by 2009
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 10:10:08 AM »

I see some of the usual suspects here (Dole, McCain). I predict that Rudy Giuliani will have served at least one term as President by 2009

Haven't planned that far ahead actually.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 10:41:39 AM »

March 10, 1991 - Rumsfeld enters presidential race

ALEXANDRIA, VA - Former U.S. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld declared he would be a candidate for President in 1992. "The world is looking for American leadership and they see a President who ignores the world stage. Americans are looking for a President who cares about creating jobs, but they see a President who ignored globalization and makes us less competitive. These times demand courageous, experienced leadership. I offer that to the American people" Rumsfeld told supporters.

March 27, 1991 - SUPRISE: Brown to challenge Dukakis

IOWA CITY, IA - In a surprise move, Former Governor of California Jerry Brown announced he would challenge President Dukakis for the 1992 Democratic Presidential Nomination. "The President has slashed education funding from the federal government to states, he's raised taxes on small businesses, he's opposed efforts to invest in infrastructure, and he's slashed funding for our veterans. Over the past six months, more than 100,000 Americans have lost their jobs. I don't think he will be re-elected and in the interest of having Democrats win and our country do better, I'm going to challenge the President's nomination for re-election" Brown stated.

April 2, 1991 - Armey to run for President

DOVER, NH - House Majority Leader Dick Armey announced his intention to run for President in the 1992 election. "Michael Dukakis has enabled welfare to become a way of life. While he's raised taxes on job creators, millions of Americans have lost their jobs. I believe the way back to prosperity is to first reform our welfare system to require work, and then to roll back the Dukakis tax increase" Armey told supporters.

April 17, 1991 - Poll: Dole, Duakis lead

GOP Nomination
Bob Dole 33%
Dick Cheney 27%
Tom Kean 19%
Alan Keyes 9%
Dick Armey 6%
John McCain 4%
Art Laffer 1%
Other 1%

Democratic Nomination
Michael Dukakis 59%
Jerry Brown 27%

April 19, 1991 - Dukakis vetoes bi-partisian welfare reform

WASHINGTON, DC - Arguing that work requirements are a state issue, President Dukakis vetoed a bi-partisian bill sponsored by Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole (R-KS) and Senator Al D'Amato (D-NY) which would mandate that states receiving federal welfare dollars require that applicants are either looking for work or in a job training program. 

April 23, 1991 - Citing welfare and the economy, D'Amato backs Brown

MANCHESTER, NH - Senator Al D'Amato (D-NY) formally endorsed Jerry Brown's 1992 presidential campaign. "Jerry Brown is the candidate in this race who is focused on growing our economy while balancing the budget. Brown's economic plan calls for a middle class tax cut, investments in infrastructure and education, but it also calls for reforming social security and medicare to balance the budget. Additionally, Governor Brown supports the bi-partisian legislation the President vetoed mandating a work requirement in welfare. He has my vote for President" D'Amato stated.

May 1, 1991 - Bush backs Dole for President

CHARLESTON, SC - Former Vice President and 1988 Republican Presidential Nominee George Bush endorsed Bob Dole for President in 1992. "Bob Dole has the experience, the character, and the vision to lead America towards the 21st century. He fought for the Reagan tax cut and investing in our military during the 1980s and has been a tireless advocate for lower taxes and a strong national defense throughout his career. He's ready to lead this country" Bush said of Dole. 
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 11:17:05 AM »

D'amato was a Republican.
"'Oeps!' De blunders van Rick Perry Indicted"
DarthNader

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 11:42:36 AM »
« Edited: July 27, 2014, 11:47:57 AM by Brian Schweitzer's Gaydar »

A narrow Dukakis victory looks like this in '88:

He'd probably have lost the popular vote, too. (Maybe he wins a Michigan recount?)
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 12:14:04 PM »

lol #Ifail

I forgot that
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 05:07:10 PM »

May 17, 1991 - Kean challenges Dukakis, Dole in New Hampshire on the economy

MANCHESTER, NH - Republican Presidential Hopeful Tom Kean challenged GOP front-runner Bob Dole and President Michael Dukakis on the campaign trail in New Hampshire on the economy. "200,000 jobs have been lost since December, and the President's answer is to keep in place higher taxes and closed markets, while Bob Dole does nothing to challenge the President's policies. If elected President, I will reduce taxes by 20% on those making above $70,000 per year while eliminating the income tax on working people while investing in infrastructure and tax credits for business expansion to put Americans back to work, and I'll require welfare applicants to be looking for work if they want your money" Kean told supporters.

May 29, 1991 - Brown sides with Republicans on Kuwait

WILMINGTON, DE - Democratic Presidential Hopeful Jerry Brown declared that he believed President Dukakis had not done enough to drive Saddam Hussein out of Kuwait. "The fact of the matter is, Saddam Hussein is a brutal dictator who seeks an empire and it's not in our interests to allow that to happen. I agree with Senator Dole and others on this, this President has ignored what's happening over there. If elected President, I'll do something about it" Brown declared.

June 10, 1991 - Jack Kemp backs Tom Kean for President

CLARK, NJ - Congressman Jack Kemp (R-NY), considered one of the most conservative members of the U.S. House, endorsed Tom Kean for President in 1992. "Tom Kean has a consistent record of protecting the interests of taxpayers, he believes in free markets and a strong national defense" Kemp said of Kean at a press conference.

July 7, 1991 - Fearing Kean in New Hampshire, Dole goes on the offensive

DOVER, NH - Republican Presidential Candidate Bob Dole, seeing a surging Tom Kean in New Hampshire, went on the offensive. "In New Jersey, Tom Kean raised his state's gasoline and sales taxes just to balance the budget, he also spent more money than any Governor in America on television advertising for his state. That's not fiscally responsible. In the U.S. Senate, I've fought the Dukakis agenda and for a balanced budget and tax cuts. In fact, I forced the President to cut $200 billion from his budget last year and stopped a 10% increase in the payroll tax" Dole told supporters.

Kean responds to Dole

HILLSBOROUGH, NH - Republican Presidential Hopeful Tom Kean responded to attacks by opponent Bob Dole. "As Governor, I balanced the budget, reformed our welfare system to require work, and invested in education. I did fight for lowering taxes as Governor. In the U.S. Senate, Bob Dole has actually voted to raise your taxes twelve times while slashing education funding while the federal budget still isn't balanced, that's not leadership" Kean stated.

July 15, 1991 - President Dukakis formally announces he's running for re-election

BOSTON, MA - President Michael Dukakis, joined by Vice President Lloyd Bentsen, declared he would seek re-election in 1992. "Four years ago, I promised the American people I'd fight for their best interests. Today, over 2.2 million Americans have found access to health care. Over 210,000 more kids are going to college. We are just a 18 months away from a balanced budget for the first time in decades. Interest rates remain low, inflation remains low, and the middle class have seen their wages continue to grow. Our work is not finished though. Too many Americans are finding it harder to find good jobs. Our veterans still find themselves in need of better health care. The national debt continues to be too high. We need to join together, to work together, to solve these and other problems, and that's why I'm running for re-election as President" Dukakis declared.

July 23, 1991 - Rumsfeld runs to the right of Dole, Kean

COLUMBIA, SC - Running to the right of GOP hopefuls Bob Dole and Tom Kean, Presidential Hopeful Donald Rumsfeld declared he was the "true consistent conservative" in the race for President. Pledging to restore defense spending to Reagan-era levels, drive Saddam Hussein out of Kuwait, drastically reduce taxes while balancing the budget, and pledging to have an administration committed to the pro-life position, Donald Rumsfeld told voters he was the conservative voice in the race for President. "I'm the candidate in this race who is a conservative, who always has been a conservative, and who always will be a conservative. I am for free markets, the sanctity of human life, the rule of law, and a strong national defense. Those will be the guiding principles of my presidency" Rumsfeld declared.

August 1, 1991 - Brown: Dukakis can't win

IOWA CITY, IA - On the campaign trail in Iowa, Democratic Presidential Candidate Jerry Brown told supporters President Dukakis could not win a second term. "His approval ratings are around 42% right now, Bob Dole and Tom Kean lead him by four points at best, where as I actually lead them by one point in the most recent poll. It's because I've invested in education while balancing the budget while the President hasn't, I've actually turned a state around while he's moving the country in the wrong direction" Brown stated.

August 7, 1991 - Dole wins Ames, IA Straw Poll

Bob Dole 1,902
Donald Rumsfeld 1,402
Tom Kean 997
Dick Armey 941
John McCain 101
Art Laffer 87

dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 10:55:48 PM »

August 15, 1991 - Republicans hold first debate of campaign season

HIGHLIGHTS:

"In the U.S. Senate, I fought for the Reagan tax cuts and investments in our military. As Republican leader, I led the fight against the Dukakis middle class tax increase and forced the President to cut $200 billion from this year's budget so we can see it balanced by the year 1993. As President, I'll fight to cut taxes by 20% across the board, balance the budget, restore the $40 billion in cuts the President made to the defense budget in 1990, restore the $7 billion the President made to veterans care in 1989, and begin to pay down the national debt as the economy grows and we see increased revenues. Additionally, I'll restore America's moral authority on the international stage. I know how to lead and I have the experience to be President of the United States" - Bob Dole

"The truth is, Michael Dukakis has let America's guard down on the world stage. Now is an opportunity to spread capitalism by encouraging free markets and free people. I won't be afraid to exert America's influence in foreign affairs because I understand the world we live in. My friends, it is crucial that the next President of the United States works with Russia to ensure they become a fully capitalist society which is transparent. It's critical the next President of the United States drives Saddam Hussein out of Kuwait, something this President has ignored. We can talk all we want about restoring defense cuts, which I support, but we must also conduct a foreign policy which advances our security and values" - Donald Rumsfeld

"The truth is, Washington is broken. Politicians in Washington have slashed funding for education and veterans care while enabling welfare to become a way of life. I think that's backwards. We should encourage the free market by having open markets and lower taxes, which is why I've promised to eliminate income taxes for those earning less than $75,000 per year and restoring tax rates to 1989 levels for everyone else. I've promised to also restore spending levels to 1989 levels and to push for sweeping welfare reform with not only a work requirement like I implemented in New Jersey, but also tough penalties for those who commit fraud. My presidency will focus on returning money back to the people, upgrading our crumbling infrastructure, reforming our welfare system, saving our schools, and ensuring security for the people of this country" - Tom Kean

"The biggest failure of the Dukakis administration in my mind has been to grow the American economy and put people back to work, that's something we all agree on. But, I'm the only candidate in this race who supports a 15% across the board flat tax, who supports reducing the time people are allowed to remain on welfare, and I'm the only candidate in this race who has committed to sending money back to states for the purpose of allowing the states to have more power than the federal government. Our founders didn't envision the large federal government we have today, and I am the candidate with the plan to restore the republic to what it was originally" - Dick Armey

"What brings me to this presidential race is a commitment to balance the federal budget and save medicare and medicaid. I propose eliminating earmarks, eliminating farm subsidies and those tax breaks given to big oil, and using that money to pay down the national debt. Additionally, I believe medicare needs to be means tested, and medicaid ought to be preserved by allowing for health care savings accounts to increase competition and thus, reduce cost. In 1988, the President told us he'd balance the budget by 1990. Now, he says he'll balance the budget by 1993. I'll balance the budget by 1992 and get there by controlling spending" - John McCain

"I'm the only economist in this presidential race and during a time of economic recession, we can use someone as President who understands the economy. Bob Dole and Tom Kean have proposed tax cuts which will help people make ends meet, but neither of them reduces taxes on investment and capital gains, which are key to economic growth. No one up here has addressed the regulations the administration has put in place, these are regulations Jimmy Carter first put in place before President Reagan reversed them and then the current administration re-instituted them without the approval of congress. I want to drastically reduce taxes, drastically reduce spending, drastically reduce the power of the federal government, and drastically reduce federal regulations" - Art Laffer

August 27, 1991 - Brown calls for universal health care

DOVER, NH - Democratic Presidential Hopeful Jerry Brown announced his support for universal health care coverage for those earning less than $80,000 per year. "I believe that getting working people health insurance should be a top priority of the next President of the United States because it would take that burden off employers and local taxpayers" Brown stated.

September 2, 1991 - Cuomo backs Brown for President

ALBANY, NY - Governor of New York Mario Cuomo endorsed Jerry Brown for President. "Jerry Brown has the executive experience to be President, and I happen to believe he would be a stronger, more effective leader for this country than the current President" Cuomo stated.

September 5, 1991 - Poll: Brown closes gap, Dole remains GOP front-runner

GOP Nomination
Bob Dole 31%
Tom Kean 22%
Donald Rumsfeld 20%
Dick Armey 15%
John McCain 7%
Art Laffer 2%
Other 1%

Democratic Nomination
Michael Dukakis 44%
Jerry Brown 33%

September 19, 1991 - Gregg backs Kean for President

MANCHESTER, NH - Governor of New Hampshire Judd Gregg backed Tom Kean for President. "Tom Kean is a proven reformer who can both win the election and govern this country" Gregg said of Kean.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 09:46:55 AM »

September 15, 1991 - Clinton endorses Brown for President

CHARLESTON, SC - Governor of Arkansas Bill Clinton endorsed Jerry Brown for President. "Jerry Brown will bring a new vision to the white house and he will be the President to restore economic growth" Clinton said of Brown.

September 23, 1991 - Haig backs Dole

DES MOINES, IA - Former U.S. Secretary of State Alexander Haig endorsed Bob Dole for President. "Bob Dole has the experience, the vision, and the leadership capability to restore American greatness" Haig said of Dole.

October 15, 1991 - Poll: Dole, Kean strongest against Dukakis, Brown electable

Bob Dole 48%
Michael Dukakis 42%

Tom Kean 47%
Michael Dukakis 41%

Michael Duakis 46%
Donald Rumsfeld 45%

Bob Dole 45%
Jerry Brown 44%

Tom Kean 45%
Jerry Brown 45%

Jerry Brown 47%
Donald Rumsfeld 43%

November 1, 1991 - Quayle backs Rumsfeld for President

LANSING, MI - 1988 Republican Vice Presidential Nominee and Senator Dan Quayle of Indiana, candidate for Governor, announced he endorsement of Donald Rumsfeld for President. "The fact of the matter is, Donald Rumsfeld is the pro-life, pro-family, free market, consistent conservative candidate in this race and he has my support" Quayle said of Rumsfeld.

December 4, 1991 - Armey ends presidential bid, endorses Bob Dole for President, citing a lack of funds

WASHINGTON D.C. - House Majority Leader Dick Armey ended his presidential campaign and endorsed Bob Dole for President, citing only having $23,000 left in his campaign account. "I am ending my presidential campaign and endorsing the most electable, and most experienced, candidate for President, Bob Dole" Armey announced at a press conference.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 11:11:10 AM »

January 3, 1992: IOWA CAUCUS - Dole wins, Dukakis prevails over Brown, Laffer drops out

IOWA CITY, IA - Republicans and Democrats took to the caucuses to pick a President. With all the votes cast, Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole garnered the support of 40% of Iowa Caucus goers, with Donald Rumsfeld in a distant second at 23%. Tom Kean, who had skipped Iowa, placed third with 20%. John McCain, with limited resources, won 11% of the vote. Economist Art Laffer won just 5% of the vote and announced he was ending his 1992 presidential bid. On the Democratic side, President Michael Dukakis easily won, garnering 62% of the vote ahead of Jerry Brown's 34%.

January 10, 1992 - NEW HAMPSHIRE PRIMARY: Dukakis wins overwhelming support, Kean beats Dole

MANCHESTER, NH - New Hampshire voters took to the polls for the first in the national presidential primary. On the Democratic side, President Dukakis won 72% of the votes cast, ahead of Jerry Brown's 25%. On the Republican side, Former Governor of New Jersey Tom Kean won a decisive victory - Kean had focused heavily on New Hampshire, and won 49% of the vote. Bob Dole won 20% of the vote, followed by Donald Rumsfeld at 15% followed by John McCain with 12%.

January 14, 1992 - DELAWARE, ALABAMA PRIMARIES: Dole dominates GOP, Brown wins suprise victory in Alabama as Dukakis wins Delaware

DOVER, DE - Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole won primaries in both Delaware and Alabama. In Delaware, Dole won a narrow victory, winning 41%-39% over Tom Kean, with Donald Rumsfeld winning just 12% of the vote and John McCain winning just 7%. In Alabama, Dole won decisively - garnering 45% of the vote to Donald Rumsfeld's 30%. Kean won 15% and McCain 9% there. On the Democratic side, President Dukakis won 77%-32% in Delaware, but Jerry Brown managed to win Alabama, 50%-48%.

January 15, 1992 - Senator John McCain ends presidential bid, endorses Bob Dole for President

PHOENIX, AZ - Senator John McCain announced he was ending his 1992 presidential bid and would endorse Bob Dole for President at a press conference. "Bob Dole has spent his entire adult life in service to our country, and I believe he is simply the best qualified person to be President" McCain stated.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 12:57:42 PM »

This is great!!
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 08:53:45 PM »

Thank You!

January 18, 1992 - Dole Vs. Kean in Michigan

LANSING, MI - GOP Presidential Hopefuls Bob Dole and Tom Kean are largely ignoring candidate Donald Rumsfeld on the campaign trail as they compete for votes in Michigan. "Bob Dole is an honorable man, but he's spent the past three decades in Washington, my experience is leading a state and making tough decisions" Tom Kean stated. "Governor Kean increased taxes on gasoline and consumption while increasing state spending as a Governor, we need a President who will reduce taxes and balance the budget" Bob Dole told supporters. Largely, the campaign on the GOP side is turning into a contest of what kind of experience voters want. Dole, a veteran of Washington politics, is running on his experience as a legislator and, in large part, the legacy of the Reagan administration. By contrast, Tom Kean is running on his record as a two-term New Jersey Governor. Both men are running attack ads against each other. Kean's ads portray Dole as a longtime politician and attack him for his role in the 1990 budget compromise with the Dukakis administration, where the payroll tax was increased on employers by 10% to fund social security and medicare premiums rose 7%. Dole's ads attack Kean for increases in taxes on gasoline and sales as a Governor, as well as Kean's opposition to a presidential line-item veto.

January 23, 1992 - MICHIGAN PRIMARY: Brown upsets Dukakis again, Kean beats Dole

DETROIT, MI - For the second time in the race for President, Former Governor of California Jerry Brown upset President Michael Dukakis in a primary, this time winning 54%-44% in Michigan. On the Republican side, Tom Kean garnered 42% of the vote, followed by Bob Dole with 32% and Donald Rumsfeld at 23%.

January 25, 1992 - BREAKING: Dukakis won't seek re-election

WASHINGTON D.C. - President Michael Dukakis abruptly announced he would not seek a second term as President of the United States after two straight losses to Jerry Brown in Alabama and Michigan. "I am no longer a candidate for re-election. It has been the honor and privilege of a lifetime to serve as President of the United States, and I look forward to serving the American people for the next 12 months" Dukakis announced. Despite victories in Iowa, New Hampshire, and Delaware in addition to leading public opinion polls by more than 20 percentage points, Dukakis lost two critical early primaries and a poll out the day after the Michigan primary showed him leading Jerry Brown by just 5 percentage points.

January 27, 1992 - Bentsen says no to '92 presidential run

WASHINGTON D.C. - Pledging to support the Democratic Presidential Nominee, Vice President Lloyd Bensten announced he would not be a candidate for President in the 1992 election.

January 29, 1992 - Hart replaces President Dukakis as Democratic establishment candidate

COLORADO SPRINGS, CO - Former U.S. Senator and two-time presidential candidate Gary Hart announced he would be a candidate for President in the 1992 election. "The truth is, America is hurting. We need a President to restore our moral authority globally and to grow our economy here at home" Hart told supporters.

February 12, 1992 - Dole dominates Super Tuesday and Brown takes all Democratic contests

ATLANTA, GA - Of the nine presidential primaries, Republican Bob Dole won six in his home state of Kansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Vermont, West Virginia, and Indiana. Opponent Tom Kean won his home state of New Jersey in addition to New York and Connecticut. On the Democratic side, Jerry Brown won every Democratic contest and in all of the states except New York, by double digits over newcomer Gary Hart.

February 14, 1992 - Rumsfeld exits Presidential Race

February 19, 1992 - Dole wins Alaska, Louisiana as Democrats split contests

BATON ROUGE, LA - Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole won presidential contests in Alaska (53% - 41% for Tom Kean) and Louisiana (61% - 37% for Tom Kean) while on the Democratic side, Jerry Brown handily won Alaska (59% - 40% for Gary Hart) while Gary Hart won Louisiana (52% - 47%).

February 20, 1992 - Kean ends presidential bid, endorses Bob Dole

CLARK, NJ - Former Governor of New Jersey Tom Kean ended his 1992 presidential bid and endorsed Bob Dole for President. "I'm proud of the campaign I ran. I'm pleased to endorse my friend Bob Dole as the nominee of the Republican Party for President. I know he'll represent the values of our party and our nation well" Kean stated.

dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 08:02:04 PM »

Bob Dole secures Republican Presidential Nomination

"The American people deserve strong, determined, experienced leadership. The Democratic Party promised Americans they'd fight for the middle class four years ago. Today, middle class families have seen their taxes rise and their incomes fall. Welfare rolls have hit record levels over the past two years alone. Over 350,000 Americans have lost their jobs since the start of this recession, and we aren't seeing any encouraging news. What we offer Americans is quite different. Tax cuts, a balanced budget, welfare reform, judges who aren't activists, a strong military, and free trade so Americans can compete in a global economy" - Bob Dole, victory speech

February 24, 1992 - Jerry Brown wins Indiana Presidential Primary

INDIANAPOLIS, IN - Democratic Presidential Candidate Jerry Brown won Indiana's presidential primary, defeating opponent Gary Hart 53%-46%.

February 27, 1992 - Poll: Brown leads Hart by significant margin

Jerry Brown 49%
Gary Hart 31%

March 1, 1992 - President Dukakis endorses former rival

MIAMI BEACH, FL - President Michael Dukakis endorsed Gary Hart for President. Hart and Dukakis had both run for President in 1988. "Gary Hart is a fighter, and he's somebody I know will continue the fight on behalf of working families" Dukakis said of Hart.

March 2, 1992 - Brown: Hart, Dukakis ruining Democratic Party

BOCA RATON, FL - Democratic Presidential Hopeful Jerry Brown attacked President Dukakis and opponent Gary Hart. "The truth is, President Dukakis had enabled our party to become the party of tax increases and welfare because of his unwillingness to understand that the middle class and those struggling deserve a tax cut and that work requirements in welfare are not such a bad thing. My message was always more progressive than the Presidents, I believe in investing in our crumbling infrastructure, education, the environment, and our veterans. But, I also believe in balanced budgets and lower taxes for working families. Four years ago, Gary Hart ran for President on a platform of common sense, now he's running as a carbon copy of President Dukakis and that hurts our party badly" Brown stated.

March 6, 1992 - Brown wins Florida Primary

TAMPA, FL - Democratic Presidential Candidate Jerry Brown won Florida's presidential primary, garnering 57% of the vote as opponent Gary Hart took 42% of the vote.

March 14, 1992 - Dole lays out economic agenda

CLEVELAND, OH - Presumptive Republican Presidential Nominee Bob Dole put forth an economic agenda. Dole called for a 20% across the board reduction in income taxes, a reduction in the corporate tax rate to 18%, passage of the North American Free Trade Agreement, and elimination of taxes on savings. "Under President Dukakis, nearly half a million Americans have lost their jobs as incomes have fallen. My plan will reduce taxes, encourage free trade in north America, and balance the budget" Dole stated. Dole also pledged to balance the federal budget and submit a balanced budget every year he was in office by restraining the growth of government spending to 2% per year and increased economic growth.

March 15, 1992 - Brown, Hart debate ahead of trio of primaries

"In California, I balanced budgets and opposed my own party in raising taxes while still managing to invest in education, roads, and environmental cleanup. That's what I plan to do as President. I have stated I will not raise taxes on the middle class and I'll balance the budget while still investing money in our federal highway system, local aid to education, and in environmental clean up - I'll pay for it by asking those making more than half a million dollars each year to pay five percent more in income taxes and by ending federal subsidies to big oil and agriculture. I've also called for reversing this President's increase in medicare premiums on the poorest seniors by means testing the program" - Jerry Brown

"I have a reputation as having been a maverick in Washington. I'm willing to take part in compromise with Republicans, but I'm also committed to the principles of the Democratic Party. I believe welfare reform, balanced budgets, and tax cuts are all noble goals, but not at the expense of cutting medicare, raiding the social security trust fund, and reducing funding to education like the Republicans have called for. In fact, Senator Bob Dole voted against medicare and has said he has no regrets about that as recently as last year. The choice in this election is about who can beat Bob Dole and the Republicans. My opponent keeps on giving the Republicans soundbites to use, I have said that I'll run on my record as having won in a tough state for a Democrat and working with Republicans and Democrats to expand veterans health care, increase federal college scholarships, and championing the Dukakis medicaid expansion to help over seven million Americans afford health insurance" - Gary Hart

"Here are the facts. Half a million Americans have lost their jobs. Incomes have fallen for the first time in a decade last year and this year. The deficit doubled over the past four years. The President and my opponent have defended their records by blaming both President Reagan and even some Democrats in congress. Yes, President Reagan and Bob Dole created the deficit. But, my opponent and President Dukakis made it worse when they allowed congress to increase federal farm subsidies while cutting funding for education and veteran's health care. So, if Senator Hart is our nominee, then he and Bob Dole will both be debating which one was more instrumental in creating the deficit and unemployment. My debate with Senator Dole would be about if we want to continue more of the same or change" - Jerry Brown

"My pledge to the American people is that I will sign welfare reform, which I was one of only three senate Democrats to vote for, and I will reduce the income tax for those making less than $75,000 per year while still balancing the federal budget and increasing aid to education while creating new standards so our kids get a quality education. The truth is, debt increased 25% when Jerry Brown was Governor of California, and in the U.S. Senate I've been the biggest opponent of growing our national debt. I voted in favor of tax cuts which Jerry Brown opposed. So, the Governor is misleading folks about where I stand" - Gary Hart
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 10:41:13 AM »

March 5, 1992 – Brown wins trio of primaries

PHEONIX, AZ – Democratic Presidential Hopeful Jerry Brown won three primaries in Arizona, Utah, and South Dakota. His strongest showing was in Arizona, where he defeated opponent Gary Hart 59%-40%. In South Dakota, Brown won 68%-31%. In Utah, Brown won 61%-38%.

March 7, 1992 – Hart ends presidential bid

COLORADO SPRINGS, CO – U.S. Senator Gary Hart ended his 1992 presidential campaign after losing primaries in Arizona, South Dakota, and Utah

Jerry Brown wins Democratic Presidential Nomination

OAKLAND, CA – Former Governor of California Jerry Brown secured the nomination of his party for President. “Tonight marks a comeback for the people of America. We told the political establishment in Washington that people vote, not money. Our campaign message of investing in education, health care, our roads, and the environment, as well as balancing the budget has resonated with the people of this country. Bob Dole and the Republicans will make the case we represent the far left in American politics. But, we represent the mainstream in American politics. They are the ones who tried to slash medicare and the ones who gave huge tax breaks for the rich while slashing funding for education in the last decade. This campaign is about the people, not the special interests, and that’s our message” Brown stated at a rally in Oakland, CA.

March 23, 1992 – Poll: Dole, Brown in tight race

Jerry Brown 46%
Bob Dole 45%

April 4, 1992 – Brown gives speech on economy

LOUISVILLE, KY – Presumptive Democratic Presidential Nominee Jerry Brown spoke about his economic agenda in Kentucky. Brown proposed increasing federal funding for health care subsidies for those earning less than $75,000 per year who lacked care, increasing funding for aid to education, $50 billion in infrastructure investments over a five year period, and tougher air quality standards and $1 billion in federal funding for cleaning up of lakes and rivers. Brown also proposed a 5% increase in the income tax for those making more than $1 million per year, restoring President Dukakis’s cuts to defense and veterans, and elimination of federal subsidies. Brown said his plan would increase spending by $500 billion over a decade, but were completely off-set by his cuts in federal subsidies and tax increase on the wealthy.

April 7, 1992 – Bob Dole: Jerry Brown for class warfare, bigger government

MORRISTOWN, NJ – Presumptive Republican Presidential Nominee Bob Dole argued opponent Jerry Brown was for class warfare and bigger government. “Jerry Brown’s $300 billion tax increase and $200 billion in spending cuts won’t off-set his $800 billion in new spending. In fact, Governor Brown’s plan would actually be closer to $1 trillion in new spending if you include the spending this administration has proposed which he hasn’t said he’d repeal. My opponent believes in class warfare and bigger government, I believe in lower taxes and more economic freedom” Dole told supporters.

May 1, 1992 – President Dukakis, Senator Hart endorse Jerry Brown for President

WASHINGTON, DC – At a press conference in Washington D.C., President Michael Dukakis and Senator Gary Hart endorsed Jerry Brown for President in 1992. “Governor Brown represents the values of the people of this country. I know he has the experience and knowledge to lead. He is an independent voice on behalf of working people in America today” the President said of Brown.

June 4, 1992 – Brown: Dole part of the past, out of touch

DOVER, NH – Presumptive Democratic Presidential Nominee Jerry Brown attacked opponent Bob Dole as out of touch and part of the past. “I honor my opponents service to our nation, but he represents the failed policies of the last decade. My opponent has voted against medicare and to slash food stamps while supporting federal subsidies, large tax breaks to the rich, and to raise our national debt. These policies got us into this economic slump, he’s simply out of touch with hard working American who are struggling in this economy” Brown told supporters at a rally.

July 2, 1992 – Jerry Brown picks Doug Wilder for Vice President

RICHMOND, VA – Presumptive Democratic Presidential Nominee Jerry Brown selected Governor of Virginia Douglas Wilder as his running-mate in the 1992 election. “Doug Wilder has been a champion for education reform, expanded health care access, and for tax relief for working families. He’s someone I can depend on for advice and guidance” Brown said of Wilder.

July 14, 1992 – Dole picks Gregg for Vice President

MANCHESTER, NH – Presumptive Republican Presidential Nominee Bob Dole selected Governor of New Hampshire Judd Gregg as his running-mate in the 1992 election. “Judd Gregg has a record of reducing taxes and spending while protecting family values and public safety in the state of New Hampshire. He has experience as an executive and consensus-building” Dole said of Gregg.
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2014, 06:43:07 PM »

Great VP selections! Go Brown!
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 03:53:02 PM »

Thank You!

August 3, 1992 - Wilder accepts Democratic Vice Presidential Nomination

MIAMI BEACH, FL - Virginia Governor Douglas Wilder accepted his party's vice presidential nomination. "Together, Jerry Brown and I will fight for the forgotten middle class in America. We want to make sure that this generation and the next have a decent education, safe communities, clean air and water, affordable health insurance, and opportunities for jobs. The economy is weak. Washington is broken. Jerry Brown and I have the experience to revive our nation's spirit while working with members of both parties to grow the economy by making investments in our people without increasing deficit spending" Wilder stated. "I stand here today as a proud Democrat, but I'm an American first. As your vice president, I promise to tell you the truth and to fight for you and your family" Wilder added.

August 5, 1992 - Brown accepts Democratic Presidential Nomination

MIAMI BEACH, FL - Former Governor of California Jerry Brown accepted his party's nomination for President. "As President, my focus will be changing the culture of Washington D.C. from one which focuses on too much on the needs of the special interests and not on the problems of ordinary citizens. The platform I run on is one which focuses on investing in education, health care, infrastructure, and the environment while balancing the budget and ending special interest subsidies" Brown told delegates. "My goal is to revive this nation's economy, balance the budget, and end the bickering in Washington" Brown stated.

August 17, 1992 - Gregg accepts Republican Vice Presidential Nomination

PHILADELPHIA, PA - Governor of New Hampshire Judd Gregg accepted his party's nomination for Vice President. "Governor Brown and Governor Wilder propose nearly $1 trillion in new spending, paid for by higher taxes. They have an approach to governing which has failed California, and which has failed over the past four years. Bob Dole and I propose a plan which cuts your taxes, reduces federal spending, reduces regulations, reforms welfare, and which returns power to states and individuals" Gregg stated. "Bob Dole and I understand how to lead, we understand that America must stand up to our enemies, build strong alliances with our allies, and grow here at home" Gregg added.

August 19, 1992 - Dole accepts GOP Presidential Nomination

PHILADELPHIA, PA - Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole accepted the Republican Presidential Nomination. "My entire life, I've been fighting for America. I've been tested in war and proven in peace, and I'm ready to lead America. I know your ready for change. But change must include lower taxes, less spending, and more economic freedom. It must include a strong America, and an America which continues to stand for the values which have sustained us" Dole stated. "The promise of this country will be restored in a Dole presidency" Dole added.

September 4, 1992 - Poll: Brown takes largest lead of '92 cycle

Jerry Brown 47%
Bob Dole 40%

September 10, 1992 - Dole Vs. Brown on U.S. economy

WASHINGTON, DC - Republican Presidential Nominee Bob Dole and Democratic Presidential Nominee Jerry Brown disagree about the condition of the U.S. economy. "We had about 14 months of recession, which ended in July - we've seen the best job growth in three years last month, we need to continue the momentum by investing in our infrastructure and by keeping tax rates the same as where they are today, and that's what I plan on doing except for the very rich" Jerry Brown, campaigning in West Virginia, stated. "The truth is, wages have fallen by $800 over the past two years, taxes have gone up by 7% under this administration, and while we gained 16 million jobs under Ronald Reagan, we've lost 410,000 under Michael Dukakis." Bob Dole said at a rally in New Hampshire.

September 23, 1992 - Rumsfeld, Hart discuss '92 election at Denver Forum

DENVER, CO - Former Presidential Hopefuls Donald Rumsfeld and Gary Hart discussed the 1992 election at a forum in Denver, Colorado. Rumsfeld argued that he could not predict the winner of the election. "I think with the President's approval ratings around 45% and the weak economy, Bob Dole has an advantage. However, for the first time since Truman in 1948, the Democrats appear to be raising more money and Jerry Brown is a very dynamic campaigner. The dominant issue appears to be the economy, but with the President not on the ballot, it's tough to tell who will win" Rumsfeld stated. Gary Hart disagreed. "The truth is, President Dukakis could not win re-election. It's plain and simple, the economy is weak and he knows it. That's why he dropped out of the race. But, Senator Dole has run a poorly run campaign - they are spending tons of money in states like Florida and Ohio where they are going to win anyway, while Jerry Brown is spending money in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Kentucky where it could go either way according to the polls, Governor Brown should win despite the economy" Hart stated.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2014, 09:51:42 PM »

October 2, 1992 - Candidates debate Domestic issues in first debate

"My economic plan will grow this economy by reducing taxes and opening up our markets. I'll cut taxes for every American, reduce the corporate business tax to 22%, reduce the capital gains tax by 10%, and unlike my opponent, I will sign the North American Free Trade Agreement into law. Ronald Reagan reduced taxes, and I fought on the senate floor for those tax cuts by the way, and our economy grew by some 16 million jobs. To get us out of the Dukakis recession, I'll again reduce taxes. But, we are also in a global economy and need to open up our markets. That also means being competitive here at home by having lower taxes, a well-trained workforce, and fewer federal regulations" - Bob Dole

"Senator Dole has voted to protect large tax loopholes for the very rich and corporate subsidies, I'll reduce taxes on small businesses but ask the wealthy to pay their fair share. My plan will help cut the average small business's tax rate by 10% and the typical family saves $1,000 each year under my plan. The wealthiest in this country will pay 5% more in taxes before we close loopholes. My plan also invests in local aid to education, expanded health care access for 4.2 million Americans, environmental cleanup, and saving our interstate highway system" - Jerry Brown

"In California, Jerry Brown increased state spending by 23% and he actually cut local aid to education during his final two years in office. So, when you hear him tout his California record as a role model for America, keep that in mind. Also keep in mind he's proposing a plan which raises taxes by $450 billion and spending by $950 billion, thus creating a budget gap of $500 billion. My plan cuts taxes, brings spending to 1989 levels, restores cuts to the military and veteran's programs, and balances the budget by the year 1993. I already forced the President to cut from his discretionary budgets two years in a row - I know how to fight for a balanced budget and tax cuts" - Bob Dole

"Senator Dole did fight for Ronald Reagan's budgets. Those budgets doubled our nation's debt and increased deficits. In California, I've balanced budgets. Funding for education, infrastructure, health care for women, and medicaid increased, but we paid for those things by raising the tax rate on the wealthiest 2% of Californians. We actually reduced taxes on 98% of the residents of my state. The choice is one of experience and values. My experience is that of a leader with results, Senator Dole has been in Washington for decades. I've balanced budgets, cut taxes, and invested in education, infrastructure, and health care. Senator Dole voted against medicare, against the Department of Education, against expanding affordable health care, and against funding for environmental protection" - Jerry Brown

"One thing we desperately need in America today is welfare reform. If you are able to work, you should either be working, looking for a job, or in a training program if you want to receive welfare. Fifteen Democrats joined with the Republican majority in the U.S. Senate in voting for welfare reform, and over forty house Democrats joined with the House Republicans in doing the same. This President vetoed welfare reform, I'll make it a top priority to sign that bill into law. We ought to be encouraging work in America. My opponent resisted efforts to reform welfare in California and when asked about the bill the President vetoed two days after he did so, my opponent refused to take a position. I have been a consistent leader on this issue" - Bob Dole

"Senator Dole has mischaracterized my position on welfare. First of all, I didn't resist welfare reform in California. Nationally, welfare rolls went up by roughly 32% in 1982 - they went up 29% in California. That was during a recession, but the point is, I didn't resist welfare reform. The fact is, the concept of welfare reform was popularized by Governor Tom Kean, Republican of New Jersey. Senator, you and I hold the same position on welfare. A month after the President vetoed the legislation, I said I'd have signed it into law. In my first interview after announcing I was running for President against this President, I cited welfare as a reason why" - Jerry Brown

"My top priority as President of the United States will be to revive this economy. Reducing taxes, reducing spending, opening up our markets to foreign goods, and returning power to states will help us get there. Secondly, restoring American leadership in the world will be a priority of mine. That means strengthening our military and driving Saddam Hussein out of Kuwait using crippling sanctions and if need be, force, but I don't anticipate using force. I want to be the President to restore our economy and our moral authority in the world. My opponent comes from the far left in American politics, he believes government is the answer. I believe in the strength of the American people" - Bob Dole

"Bob Dole is an honorable man who has served America well, but he believes in bringing us back to a different era, and that tax cuts for the ultra-rich will grow our economy. I believe in investing in our people. My top priorities as President will be to grow the economy, reform the welfare system, make sure every American has health care, make sure we have clean air and water, and ensure that we don't get ourselves into unfair trade agreements such as NAFTA that my opponent supports because his long time corporate allies and contributors support it for the purposes of exploiting cheap labor. We need to focus on the people, not the politicians and special interests and that's what brings me to this presidential race" - Jerry Brown
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2014, 09:36:44 PM »

October 9, 1992 - Wilder, Gregg debate issues in Vice Presidential Debate

"Washington D.C. is broken and it's going to take outsiders to fix it. The economy we have today is a consequence of policies from Washington. First, they cut taxes for the very rich and deregulated Wall Street. Then, under this administration, they slashed funding for education and veterans benefits. Governor Brown and I don't believe we have to choose between middle class tax increases and cutting spending on key programs. We believe in making investments in those areas crucial to our national interests like education, health care, the environment, and our infrastructure - but we also believe in slowing the growth in spending by the federal government to balance the budget and reduce the national debt" - Douglas Wilder

"The dominant issue in this campaign is the economy because half a million Americans have lost their jobs and wages have fallen for the past 27 months. Bob Dole and I plan to cut taxes, reduce federal spending, open up our markets to foreign goods, and improve our education system by allowing for local control because we believe short and long term economic growth depends on these types of policies. Our opponents believe that by creating a $500 billion budget gap and spending money on things which won't impact our economy one way or the other, we'll grow. Senator Dole fought for the Reagan tax cuts which led to 16 million jobs. I cut taxes across the board in New Hampshire, and our state ranks 7th in job growth. Governor Brown raised taxes several times in California and he left office with the slowest job growth in 12 years. Governor Wilder just this year raised taxes by $700 million, and Virginia ranks 19th in job growth - down from 15th when he took office" - Judd Gregg

"Since I've been Governor, state spending has fallen to it's lowest levels in 8 years, poverty has been cut by 10%, I'm one of only three Governors today to preside over a drop in welfare rolls, and crime is down 70% in my state. Governor Gregg has the most property crime in 40 years, the largest state debt in his state's history, and welfare rolls are up 7% between 1990 and the present. But, look, voters face a clear choice on these issues and others. The economy is starting to rebound, in fact we added more jobs last month than at any time since 1988. The question is, where do we go from here? Jerry Brown and I have said our priority will be to pass a budget which gets balanced within 2 years while making investments in local aid to education, the national highway system, health care for the poor and women, and environmental cleanup. We want to create tax credits for expanding companies. We want to reform welfare and pass real gun control" - Douglas Wilder

"One of the defining issues in this campaign is education. Senator Dole and I want to block-grant education funding to the states and cut the federal Department of Education by 98%. We believe that education is best left to local districts and parents, not Washington bureaucrats. In California, Governor Brown doubled the size of his state's Department of Education and created more testing and mandates for schools - taking control away from local districts. He's proposing the same thing today, which will double education spending in five years and increase the size of the education bureaucracy in Washington." - Judd Gregg

"One area we have not addressed as a nation is crime. In 1979, Governor Brown led the effort to ban assault weapons on the streets of California. As a result, by 1982, California saw it's lowest violent crime rate in 40 years. Governor Brown also increased the number of police by 17,000. In Virginia, we are cracking down on the use of drugs and on gangs - our crime rate this year fell by more than a third. We will lead an effort at the federal level to ban assault weapons, make selling drugs to juveniles a federal crime with mandatory sentencing of 20 years or more, and we will increase funding for local police with a goal of adding 50,000 police to our streets by the year 1998 - a $30 billion commitment over the next 6 years" - Douglas Wilder

October 19, 1992 - Dole, Brown debate foreign policy

"In Kuwait, I was - along with John McCain and Democrat Al Gore - one of the first members of the senate to call for crippling sanctions and if need be, force against Saddam Hussein to drive the Iraqis out of Kuwait immediately. It is not in our national security interests to allow a brutal dictator to take over another country. Saddam has voiced hatred towards the United States. I will, as President, fight for U.N. sanctions towards Saddam Hussein. We can't recognize, under any circumstances, Saddam Hussein as a legitimate leader in Kuwait. In answer to your question, I don't believe we will have to use force against Saddam, but I won't rule anything out in dealing with him" - Bob Dole

"The fact of the matter is, I disagree with Senator Dole in saying we won't need to use military force. Saddam Hussein is a murderer, a madman, and he needs to be stopped from spreading his rein of terror further. As President, I would strongly consider intervening to drive him out of Kuwait and if need be, overthrowing him from power in Iraq. But, I will agree with the Senator that we first need to try crippling sanctions. We need to get him out of Kuwait and fight to help freedom-loving Iraqis overthrow his regime in Iraq. I stood up and spoke out against military action in Vietnam and Lebanon because I believe we need to refrain from getting involved in foreign conflicts which aren't in our national security interests or where humanitarian interests are a non-issue. But, this situation is a humanitarian situation and one where our national security interests are at stake" - Jerry Brown

"Part of the reason I said I'd go back to 1989 spending levels is because I'll curb spending here at home, but I believe that we need to restore the $40 billion the President cut from our military and the $7 billion he slashed from veterans benefits. This administration has presided over the first cut in our defense spending in 4 decades, and my opponent praised the President for his 1989 budget. The military today is 15,000 men and women smaller than it was in 1989 - the first reduction in our armed forces since World War I. My opponent applauded this cut. I believe America must always have the strongest military with the best equipment, and that will be a priority of mine as President" - Bob Dole

"Under President Reagan, we increased the size of our military to a fiscally unsustainable level. What I have said is this President cut too much too fast. I wrote in an op-ed for the New York Times dated March 1, 1989 that I would cut $5 billion per year from the defense budget for 10 years and that the cuts should be from overseas bases, not troop levels or in some cases, troop pay. As President, I have said that I will not reduce troop levels anymore and that any cuts I make would be from overseas bases, but I can tell you that with Saddam Hussein in Kuwait, that's unlikely to happen. Secondly, I opposed the President's cuts to veterans pensions strongly and I will restore those cuts if elected. Senator Dole has voted to increase defense spending by $3 trillion during his career, my plan would simply slow the growth of the defense budget by around 5%" - Jerry Brown

dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 09:48:54 PM »

October 27, 1992 - In final debate, Brown and Dole making closing arguments to Americans

"My fellow Americans, this election offers you a clear choice between two very different visions of the future. In the U.S. Senate, Bob Dole has voted against the Department of Education, medicare, food stamps for the very poor, medicaid expansion for the working poor, and for a free trade agreement which puts the manufacturing sector at risk. As Governor, I reduced taxes, balanced budgets, took on crime, invested in education, health care, environmental protection, and our roads. It's that model I'll follow as President. We need to invest in these things while balancing the budget at the federal level to create new jobs, restore fiscal responsibility to government, and to set ourselves up for long term growth and progress. President Dukakis has done some good things, but he's also made a series of mistakes. The question isn't one of partisanship, it's one of who can lead with the ability to empower the American people. It's time to stop the special interests in Washington from always getting their way and it's time to simply govern. Bob Dole and his party have received millions from big tobacco and the oil industry this election. My money comes from individuals. It's why as President, I'll fight to ban assault weapons since I'm not getting money from the NRA. It's why I'll change the campaign funding system to make it one which is accountable. It's why I'll strengthen laws against large corporations which pollute our air and water. If your ready to change Washington, then I'm asking for your vote" - Jerry Brown

"The American people deserve an experienced President who's had to make tough decisions. I've made tough decisions, decisions of war and peace, both as a young man, a congressman, and a senator. I led the fight for the renewal of the military under President Reagan, I fought for the Reagan tax cuts, I fought to improve veteran's health care, and I've forced this President to cut the deficit in half in order to balance the federal budget by the year 1993. I have the experience and the judgement to lead America, and I know the American people have the will to restore our nation's promise. As President, I will reduce taxes and balance the budget. I will reform our welfare system to reward work. I will return power back to the state's. I will sign NAFTA into law to create 1.2 million jobs. Governor Brown doubled state spending and increased the size of government in California. He's a good man, but he believes in the power of the almighty government. I believe in the people of America because I've seen the genius of America during this campaign and during my service in the U.S. Senate and congress. I was born in the heartland of America to a modest family. I understand the true spirit of America comes from Main Street, not Washington D.C. But Americans need a President who will protect their interests in Washington. I've done it for the past 30 years, and I plan on protecting the people's interests for another 4 or 8. The failures of the past 4 years have simply been a detour to renewed economic growth and military might. With your help, we will restore the American dream. Thank You, and I'm asking for your vote in this election" - Bob Dole

ELECTION 1992 - BROWN ELECTED PRESIDENT, GOP KEEPS CONGRESS

WASHINGTON, DC - At 1:23 p.m. EST, the Associated Press declared that Democratic Presidential Nominee Jerry Brown was elected President of the United States along with Democratic Vice Presidential Nominee Douglas Wilder, who will serve as the first african-american Vice President. "You have defied the special interests and voted for a new direction for our country. The American people have proven tonight that a dark horse can still be a rising star" Brown told supporters at his campaign HQ in Sacramento, CA. Meanwhile, in Arlington, VA, Republican Presidential Nominee Bob Dole and running-mate Judd Gregg conceded the election moments before Brown accepted victory. "I am so honored and humbled to be able to have been the nominee of our party for President. Although we lost the election for President, our mission to fight for our nation's interests continues. I wish the President-elect and the Vice President-Elect nothing but success" Dole told supporters. Though the Democrats won the White House, Republicans maintained control of the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives. The GOP did lose one seat they were hoping to maintain in the U.S. Senate, with Democrat Lynn Yeakel defeating Incumbent Republican Arlen Specter 50%-49% in Pennsylvania. In the U.S. House, Republicans gained three seats.

Jerry Brown / Douglas Wilder (D) 52% 298 EV
Bob Dole / Judd Gregg (R) 47% 240 EV
Other 1%

dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 01:19:12 PM »

Key events of the Brown administration, January 20, 1993 - January 1, 1995

-January 20, 1993 - Jerry Brown is sworn in as President of the United States as Douglas Wilder becomes the first african-american Vice President
-January 28, 1993 - Jerry Brown proposes his first budget, which increases funding for local aid to education, expands medicaid for 4 million Americans, and invests $10 billion for infrastructure projects. The budget also restored funding for veteran's benefits. By slashing funding for federal subsidies towards farms, oil, and "pork barrel" projects, the budget spent the same amount as the previous year's federal budget
-February 3, 1993 - Led by House Speaker Newt Gingrich, Republicans vote down President Brown's budget.
February 17, 1993 - President Brown signs into law the Small Business Investment Act, giving tax credits for business hiring more than 2 employees.
-March 1, 1993 - President Brown and Speaker Newt Gingrich announce a budget compromise which invests $30 billion in aid to local education, increased funding for infrastructure, and gives state's more flexibility over medicaid. The budget also cuts federal subsidies by a third and block-grants medicaid. The budget agreement balances the budget immediately, eliminates the deficit in two years, and reduces the national debt from $7 trillion to $4.5 trillion over a decade
- June 27, 1993 - President Brown, with congressional approval, announces that he will deploy troops to Kuwait to drive Saddam Hussein out
- December 18, 1993 - After successfully driving Saddam Hussein out of Kuwait, President Brown announces he will withdrawal American forces despite Republican calls to topple the Hussein regime in Iraq
- January 15, 1994 - President Brown vetoes a Republican bill calling on the President to sign NAFTA
- January 19, 1994 - President Brown signs Welfare Reform into law, requiring work or job training to be able to receive benefits
- March 2, 1994 - Congressional Republicans vote down a Brown proposal to implement a "toxic waste tax" on corporations which release toxic chemicals during manufacturing
- April 4, 1994 - Congressional Republicans vote down a proposal by President Brown to increase taxes by 5% on the wealthiest 2% of Americans in order to generate a budget surplus by 1996
- May 1, 1994 - President Brown signs into law the first limits on campaign contributions by corporations and lobbyists. 14 Senate Republicans and 102 House Republicans voted for the bill
- July 17, 1994 - President Brown signs into law a ban on military-style assault weapons. The highly controversial bill passed the U.S. Senate 53-47 and the House 230-195.
- November 4, 1994 - Republicans maintain control of both houses of congress

January 2, 1995 - Dan Quayle enters 1996 Republican Presidential Race

IOWA CITY, IA - Senator Dan Quayle of Indiana, the 1988 Republican Vice Presidential Nominee, announced he would be a candidate for President in the 1996 election. "What I see in America today is an ideologically left-wing President who refuses to recognize the mainstream in American politics. Educational test scores in our schools fell last year for the first time since Jimmy Carter was President. The President has signed into law a bills which have chipped away at your constitutional rights to freedom of expression and right to keep and bear arms. The President has vetoed legislation cutting your taxes. I believe it's time for us to reclaim our conservative values. We need to stand up for our God given rights, the rights our forefathers recognized and it's time to build a brighter future for our children, and so I announce today that I'm a candidate for President of the United States" Quayle stated.

January 23, 1995 - Kean to run for President

DOVER, NH - Former Governor of New Jersey Tom Kean, who ran for President in 1992, announced his second run for President. "Today, I'm announcing that I will be a candidate for President of the United States. I believe above all else, our country needs unity. We need to courage and the conviction to move our people towards the next decade. My mission, our mission, must be to change government and the way business is done in Washington. We should start by reducing taxes, holding the line on spending, implementing NAFTA, saving social security and medicare, and restoring America's standing as a world superpower" Kean told supporters.

January 28, 1995 - Keyes running for President

BALTIMORE, MD - Former Ambassador Alan Keyes announced he would seek the 1996 Republican Presidential Nomination. "I'm running for President to eliminate the income tax, stand up for your second amendment rights, and reclaim the moral high ground we've lost under Presidents Brown and Dukakis. Together, we must be willing to take on the political establishment and stand up for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" Keyes stated.

February 19, 1995 - Dole running in '96

RUSSELL, KS - Former Transportation Secretary Elizabeth Dole declared she would be a Republican Presidential Candidate in the 1996 election. "I'm announcing today that I will be a candidate for President in 1996. I'm running because President Brown has made government larger and less efficient. He's federalized education, health care, and other areas best left up to states. He's made our tax code more complicated when we should focus on reducing taxes and making our tax code simple and fair. To me, this campaign is about returning power back to states, more reliance on the free market, and making government smaller and more effective" Dole told supporters.

April 5, 1995 - Grassley in for '96

DES MOINES, IA - Senator Chuck Grassley declared his intention to run for President in 1996. "The Republican Party needs at least one candidate to stand up and defend farmers, ranchers, and small business in this country. We need a President who will say no to NAFTA which hurts working Americans. The Republican Party needs a leader who will stand up for the middle class, and that's why I'm running for President in 1996" Grassley declared.

May 4, 1995 - Boehner running for President

LEBANON, OH - Republican Conference Leader John Boehner announced he would be a candidate for President in 1996. "When Americans needed  leaders to stop raising taxes on business, they looked to Republicans in congress and we won. When Americans needed leaders to prevent the President from increasing our nation's deficits, they looked to Republicans in congress and we won. When Americans needed leaders to stop the President from appointing liberal activist judges, they looked to Republicans in congress and we won. We need a leader who can win for the people of America, someone who will work with congress, and I believe I have that ability - and so I'm running for President" Boehner stated.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 09:31:24 PM »

June 2, 1995 - Poll: Kean, Dole, Quayle all front-runners

Tom Kean 31%
Elizabeth Dole 30%
Dan Quayle 29%
Alan Keyes 5%
Chuck Grassley 3%
John Boehner 1%
Other 1%

June 24, 1995 - Quayle puts forth 5-point 100 days presidential agenda

HILLSBOROUGH, SC - Senator Dan Quayle, running for the Republican Presidential Nomination, put forth a 5-point plan as to what his first 100 days as President would look like. Quayle said he would push for a constitutional amendment to balance the budget, end the current income tax and replace it with a 15% flat tax above $45,000 per year, repeal President Brown's assault weapon ban, push for a ban on partial-birth abortion, sign NAFTA into law, and push to increase the size of the U.S. military by 20,000 over 4 years. "Today, our economy struggles to grow, our people are seeing less take-home pay, our values are being eroded, and our military is still suffering from the budgetary cuts of the past seven years" Quayle concluded. Americans deserve a President who has a track record of fighting this President and proposing better ideas for the future" he added.

July 1, 1995 - Giuliani, Thompson, Gregg endorse Tom Kean for President

MANCHESTER, NH - Governor of New Hampshire and 1992 Republican Vice Presidential Nominee Judd Gregg, New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, and Governor of Wisconsin Tommy Thompson endorsed Tom Kean for President in the 1996 election. All cited Kean's fiscal conservatism and ability to win as reasons for their support.

July 15, 1995 - Robertson, social conservatives rally to Quayle

DES MOINES, IA - Pat Robertson and other social conservative activists flocked to Iowa to endorse Dan Quayle 1996 presidential bid. Amongst those supporting Quayle are the National Right to Life, socially conservative Senators Orin Hatch of Utah and Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, and activist Gary Bauer. Quayle and Alan Keyes are the only two candidates who have said making partial-birth abortion a federal crime would be top priorities of theirs if elected.

July 23, 1995 - Dole talks priorities in speech to young people

ANN ARBOR, MI - Speaking to a crowd at Michigan, GOP Presidential Candidate Elizabeth Dole said her priorities if elected President would be block-granting health care, education, and infrastructure to the state's, securing the southern U.S. border, and raising standards in education. Dole also said cracking down on drug use would be a priority of hers. "Drug use is on the rise, test scores have remained flat, and the federal government has seen it's power and size increase, we need to reverse the failures of the past several years" Dole stated.

August 1, 1995 - Kean lays out presidential agenda during New Hampshire appearance

LEBANON, NH - Running for the Republican Presidential Nomination, Former Governor of New Jersey Tom Kean spoke to supporters about his priorities if elected President. Kean said he was sticking to his tax cut plan similar to that from the 1992 campaign - eliminate income taxes on those earning less than $75,000 per year, cut income taxes by 20% for those earning less than $500,000 per year, reduce the capital gains tax by 10% across the board, and reduce the corporate business tax from 39% to 30%. The full tax cut, which would cost $1.2 trillion by the year 2007, would be phased in over a three year period and would be paid for by closing tax loopholes and federal tax subsidies. Kean also promised to block-grant medicaid, create private accounts for social security while means-testing the program and raising the retirement age by three years, and he pledged to create various options for seniors as it relates to medicare. Kean also promised to fight for a constitutional balanced budget amendment and increase defense spending by $50 billion over a decade to increase the size of the U.S military to Reagan-era levels.

August 10, 1995 - Quayle narrowly wins Ames, IA Straw Poll

Dan Quayle 1,805
Chuck Grassley 1,762
Tom Kean 777
Elizabeth Dole 704
Alan Keyes 102
John Boehner 98

August 23, 1995 - Grassley puts forth vision during TV appearance

WASHINGTON, DC - Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa, seeking the GOP Presidential Nomination, put forth his full platform during an appearance on CNN's Larry King Live. Grassley said he would re-visit all free trade agreements to make sure they were being properly enforced, he'd restore cuts to farm aid, and he would fight to repeal Jerry Brown's ban on assault weapons.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 10:31:00 AM »

September 2, 1995 - GOP Candidates hold first Debate of '96 campaign season

"This election is about setting ourselves up to grow our economy, help our middle class prosper, and protect our national interests going forward. In order to grow the economy, I've proposed major tax relief on individual and small business income in addition to large business and capital gains up to $500,000, signing NAFTA into law, and balancing the budget while pushing for a constitutional amendment to do so. I've also said I'll fight to save medicare, medicaid, and social security by means testing those programs, giving state's more flexibility over medicaid by block-granting it, and creating more options for both medicare and social security. Additionally, I've called for an increase in the size of the U.S. military and for investing in human intelligence to keep the peace. As a Governor, I confronted high levels of taxation, flaws in our education system, a failing welfare system, and a divided state. I believe it's important for leaders to set an agenda and then work with the public and elected officials to unite behind common ideals, and that's what I intend to do as your next President" - Tom Kean

"For far too long, politicians in Washington D.C. have felt every problem should be solved at the federal level and that Washington knows best. I believe it's time we reject Jerry Brown's radical left wing agenda and give state's back their powers over education, health care, and infrastructure projects. I think it's time we had a President who actually focused on giving state's the tools to crack down on illegal drug use by increasing aid to state's for the purpose of hiring more police and for community anti-drug programs. I think we should also make it a federal crime to sell drugs to minors with a minimum mandatory sentence of 20 years. President Brown has presided over the largest increase in the size of government in a generation, more federal spending on domestic programs since the Great Society, and a 77% increase in drug use in our inner-cities. We need to shrink the size of the federal government and crack down on the epidemic of illegal drug use, and that's what brings me to this presidential race" - Elizabeth Dole

"American's are going to face a choice in this election. President Brown has declared war on morality, war on the free market, and he has weakened America's standing in the international community by refusing to sign NAFTA and by refusing to support efforts to promote freedom across the world. In the United States Senate, I've been one of the strongest opponents of this President and I'm trying to win this nomination to win next year because I believe in the enduring American values which have sustained us throughout our history. I am pro-life and believe in traditional family values, I believe that lower taxes and fewer regulations leads to greater economic growth, I oppose any effort to curb your first and second amendment rights, and I will fight for strict constructionist judges as President. I also understand foreign policy and have served on the senate foreign relations committee for five years, this President still doesn't seem to understand the world we live in. Simply put, I'm the conservative who can win in this race" - Dan Quayle

"Tom Kean and Elizabeth Dole have both called for reductions in federal subsidies of all types. The price of oil would increase by 15% without federal oil subsidies, the cost of corn would go up 120%, the cost of operating a farm would go up 30%, and the cost of food - on average - would increase by as much as 15% overnight if we were to eliminate all federal subsidies. Plus, they want to sign NAFTA into law which would out 500,000 jobs at risk. What we need is a Republican candidate for President who will stand up for working men and women in America. We need to support farmers, ranchers, and small businesses through the tax code. President Brown's solution has been to cut subsidies from some industries, but he's willing to give money to others. I don't think that's right, it should be an equal playing field. What we need in the next President of the United States is someone who respects farmers, small business folks, manufacturers, the backbone of our economy and country. That's the path not only to victory in 1996, but to long term prosperity which everyone up here claims to want" - Chuck Grassley

"In the past two presidential election cycles, we tried nominated establishment-supported, moderate candidates for President only to fall short. Tom Kean and Elizabeth Dole represent the moderate wing of our party, they both have considerable support by the party establishment. But, I'm running a grassroots campaign on conservative ideas - I'm willing to say what others aren't. Ban abortion, eliminate the federal income tax, abolish the Department of Education, make medicare a voucher program, and privatize social security over time. Jerry Brown is a failed President because he has had no purpose while in office. He ran against the political establishment in 1992 only to become the political establishment. He ran on big ideas, but has now become one of the biggest disappointments in our history. What do we have after 3 years of Jerry Brown? More drug use, leftist activist judges, a larger federal bureaucracy, stagnant wages, and job growth that's 25% smaller than it was when Ronald Reagan was President. It's time for a change and for a President who is blunt and honest with the American people about what's needed to make America stronger" - Alan Keyes

"In 1990, the American people rejected President Dukakis and his liberal agenda. Last year, they rejected President Brown and his liberal agenda. The reason we have a balanced budget, welfare reform, and tax credits for small business is because Republicans in congress have stood strong against the liberal's agenda and won. I'm proud to be part of that Republican governing majority. I seek the presidency to get the job done completely. With me as President and Newt Gingrich as Speaker, we can change our tax code, finally get NAFTA to be the law of the land, do even more to reform welfare, solve problems associated with medicare and medicaid, and not only balance the budget - but pay down the national debt. I am proud to run on the Congressional Republican agenda in this election, an agenda which has led to the creation of 1.2 million jobs since 1992 and an agenda which has balanced the budget and reformed welfare. President Brown will try and take credit for those successes, but we forced him into passing policies which led to these successes. The 1996 election is a referendum on the Republicans in Congress, and I suspect the American people will vote for me and say yes to our positive, pro-growth record and agenda" - John Boehner

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies