Poll: Capitalism dying? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:43:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Poll: Capitalism dying? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you think capitalism will die sooner or later?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: Poll: Capitalism dying?  (Read 9288 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: July 27, 2014, 06:05:01 PM »

My personal answer to this question is yes. Capitalism won't be able to sustain its own contradictions and will fall to its own technological progress.

What do you think?

How's your Internet quality there in 1870?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 10:22:07 AM »

I think capitalism is a useful term for contrasting with pre-capitalist economic models from the 17th-18th century.  Certainly it is clear that there is a distinct and fundamental difference between the so-called mercantilist economies of the 18th century and the so-called capitalist ones of the 19th, even if you don't think that "mercantilism" was ever a real economic ideology and that "capitalism" was a nebulous, meaningless term.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 10:55:18 PM »

If I murder someone and steal their wallet out of greed, is that capitalism?

I think the more apt comparison is if you create a fantastic new formula for a drug and I sneak into your laboratory, copy down the formula, sell the exact same thing at 10% less, and undercut you to make a fortune, is that not capitalism?  I mean, it's just smart business sense, right?  Screw government regulations like patent law.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 11:24:55 AM »

People being poor is obviously a flaw. You could argue that it's a flaw that would exist in any other system as well and perhaps even be worse or that it's a flaw that's in some way balanced out by benefits that necessitate it as a side-effect, but saying that it's not a flaw at all makes you sound like you care more about their markets as their own abstracted entities than about the actual people who have to live in and use them. Which is a horrible, disgusting way to think.

In fairness, there's a legitimate philosophical position that would make poor members of society a feature instead of a flaw. If one holds that an underclass serves the purpose of motivating people to achieve more and thereby either escape from or avoid entering that underclass, then having some poor people in a society becomes a necessity to the economic system.

This is all well and good, but what "poor" means can be drastically different in different societies and ending up in a society like Victorian Britain where ending up maimed on the job and then starving because you have no natural means of support (which is more or less the natural endpoint of an unregulated market with a labor glut...there's more where that came from!) is naturally morally reprehensible.  Every society has winners and losers, of course, but there's a point at which you need to step in to prevent the economic system from literally murdering the losers. 

Without regulations like, say, the Americans With Disabilities Act, who would go through the effort of setting up ramps that would enable a wheelchair-bound person to even hold gainful employment, when that boss could hire an able-bodied person and save on the ramp?  The society that the blue avatars in this thread envision isn't the fair "people are allowed to fail/be poor/whatever" society they envision, its one where one disadvantage (say, amputee status) reinforces others and culminates in leaving someone totally unemployable and therefore doomed to starvation.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies