Poll: Capitalism dying? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:43:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Poll: Capitalism dying? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you think capitalism will die sooner or later?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: Poll: Capitalism dying?  (Read 9305 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« on: July 27, 2014, 12:49:15 AM »

Capitalism is more a slur than a well-defined economic term, but going on what I suspect this question is about the reasonable answer is no (ignoring also the silly aspect of "sooner or later" - sooner or later the Earth will probably merge into the Sun but I don't think that's what he means)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 03:46:38 AM »

I note that 'WorkingClassBro' is repeating one of Marx's more hilariously wrong predictions.

Capitalism is more a slur than a well-defined economic term

It's useful as an economic-term-in-historical-perspective because it isn't as though there's another word lying around to be used, and as new jargon is invariably terrible.

I like market economy, that's a term which I understand the definition of. Whenever people talk about capitalism they're usually being very political and very emotional and I'm not sure EXACTLY what it means. It seems to often be something like "United Fruits shooting union members in Latin America"
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 04:48:55 AM »

I like market economy, that's a term which I understand the definition of.

Isn't that as vague as capitalism? I mean, markets (in all senses of the word) were essential to the operation of the economy in the 12th century, say.

Yes, I know, that is a big part of my point, actually. Smiley

I have a pretty good idea of what I mean by a market economy. I agree with Mikado that society is different if one compares before and after the industrial revolution. But I'm not sure if capitalism accurately captures this.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies