More people should watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:40:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  More people should watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: More people should watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes  (Read 6714 times)
The Mikado
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2014, 01:17:20 AM »
« edited: July 27, 2014, 01:26:20 AM by The Mikado »

Legend of the Galactic Heroes (also known by its Japanese title Ginga Eiyu Densetsu or the German Heldensagen vom Kosmosimsel that it sticks on top of every episode for some reason) is a 110 episode anime series produced between 1988 and 1997 based on the Yoshiki Tanaka novel by of same name.  There's also two movies and 55 other episodes.  I've seen the movies but I haven't seen the other 55 episodes so I can't vouch for them but how bad could they be?

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a story of foppery and whim.  

Of pretty men and spaceships.  

Very pretty men and quite a few spaceships.  Also, it is not at all rare for this show to put German text with Japanese subtitles with English subtitles of the Japanese subtitles.

http://a-hiro.cocolog-nifty.com/diary/2014/02/4-2c13.html

According to this article, at a recent production of the Legend of the Galactic Heroes play (which  is apparently a thing that exists), a new adaptation of the novel was announced!  I cannot actually read this article, but Nathan might be able to.  Maybe everyone's lying to me and that's not what that article says at all!

Legend of the Galactic Heroes tells the story of pseudo-space Imperial Germany waging war on pseudo-space-United States of America.  A young, handsome blonde noble named Admiral Count Reinhard von Lohengramm, whose sister is the Kaiser's courtesan, has risen to a leadership position in the Galactic Empire, but a young, handsome brown-haired gentleman on the Alliance side, Yang Wen-li, has risen to a Admiralty position and won't let Reinhard achieve his dreams of galactic domination so easily.  Reinhard dreams of becoming Kaiser of a united human galaxy while Yang dreams of early retirement where he can pour more whiskey into his tea and sleep until 10 AM and live with his adopted son Julian Minci who is less than a decade younger than him and appears to also serve as Yang's housekeeper.

Leading the Imperial faction is a lazy party-animal Kaiser and a group of old sword nobility who think little of the Petticoat Admiral Reinhard von Lohengramm, who only got where he is because his older sister is sleeping with the Kaiser.  Leading the Alliance faction is Job Truniht, a Thomas Jefferson look-alike whose incompetent leadership is bolstered by his pseudo-Ku-Klux-Klan paramilitary that beats his critics into submission and scares the voters into keeping him perpetually in office and perpetually losing the war.  Both Reinhard and Yang yearn to reform the government: Reinhard dreams of becoming Kaiser while Yang dreams of getting as far away from the government and Job Truniht as possible.

In between their territory lies two chokepoints.  In one is the fortress of Iserlohn, an impregnable Imperial fortress that looks like a marble.  It's basically the Death Star except covered in a thick layer of liquid mercury so it's totally opaque.  On the other lies the Margraveate of Phezzan, a former Imperial vassal that has become an independent merchant republic that trades with both sides led by the Marquis Adrian Rubinsky, who looks like Professor Xavier from X-Men and who has a wife named Dominic for some reason.

There are also the Terraists, devotees of a religion named Terraism.  (This is not a joke)

Earth had been devastated long ago in something named the Thirteen Days War, which looked like this:

The only people who care about the nuked out husk of the mother world are the Terraists, whose sacred motto of "Terra is my mother, Terra in my hand" leads them to plot to hijack the future of the Galaxy in their own direction.  Rubinsky, who seems to be a history buff, compared them to Christians before Constantine, implying he sees himself as Constantine perhaps?

Terraists tend to wear banners with their slogan on them when committing their acts of Terraism.  Suffice it to say that Terraists are not motivated by foppery and whim.  Sad

This is all well and good, Mikado, but how can I experience the foppery and whim for myself?

Good question, boldface!  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNyY2F1OurUbDBCtILijHYI52YAiIvSX5

Watch the two movies listed first first, then watch the 110 episodes, then watch the other 55 episodes, I guess.  They're probably good.

Olivier Poplan there is the living embodiment of whim, and Dusty Attenborough, quoted above, has enough foppery for 10 men.

Does the Imperial side contain foppery and whim as well?

Paul von Oberstein and his cold robotic eyes have only scorn for your foppery and whim.

(Seriously, though, if Admiral Wolfgang Mittermeyer isn't foppish, the word doesn't have a meaning, and Oskar von Reuenthal is ruled by his whims)

What's the soundtrack to this romp of foppery and whim?

Mostly Mahler, some Handel, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, a bit of Verdi.  Surprisingly little Wagner.

I'm in!  Does it have a song for the Alliance that sounds like an Engrish cargo cult parody of American patriotic music that I can ironically sing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs8BSSpU5fU

This is the Alliance's anthem, "Liberty Stands for Freedom."  I'll let the Youtuber who uploaded it play us out:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 01:40:48 AM »

This actually sounds like a pretty interesting series even though I don't normally watch anime anymore, but I swore an oath never to sit through movies that force me to read subtitles all the way through.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 02:09:11 AM »

Sieg Kaiser Reinhard!

Seriously, I love this series and I'm looking forward to the new animation. It seems the info about it is rather scarce, but the possibilities I've seen is a new remake of the entire anime or the animation of the written material left in the series, that is, the chronicle of the Battle of Dagon (the first battle between the Empire and the Alliance) and Julian's Iserlohn Diaries detailing some of his experiences in some parts of the series.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 10:34:09 AM »

Are we talking so bad its sort of good here? Because I'm always up for a bit of that.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 11:20:50 AM »

Are we talking so bad its sort of good here? Because I'm always up for a bit of that.

The only thing that's so bad it's good are the subtitles, which are...not done by a native English speaker, and which feature countless terms that aren't idiomatic or simply haven't been used in English in centuries.  Also they manage to name a character Alexandor Bucock.

Otherwise the series is actually quite good.  Much of the first season revolves around Yang Wen-Li and Reinhard von Lohengramm rising in the ranks of their respective political systems against the opposition of nearly everyone.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 11:27:12 AM »

So, actually quite good, but with subtitles that occasionally veer into accidental archaism? That's also quite tempting, if in a very different way.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 01:44:42 PM »

I read the article and that's exactly what it says. The producer clarifies that it's not a remake of the existing anime but a complete re-adaptation of the novel. Since I haven't read the novel, I can't say what differences exactly that might entail.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies