Attention Tender Branson: petition to ban Rasmussen polls
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:00:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2014 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  Attention Tender Branson: petition to ban Rasmussen polls
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Attention Tender Branson: petition to ban Rasmussen polls  (Read 1024 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2014, 02:07:44 PM »

Yep, Rasmussen polls managed to have both dem and rep bias.
I don't support banning internals from this site, because they have an utility. We have always the possibility to unsked these polls by 6-7 points (like for Harper).
For Rasmussen, that's impossible, because we don't know which bias the current poll has.

That's why I ask the ban of all Rasmussen polls of this site. The NM gubernational poll is the last exemple of their lack of accuracy.

XWindjammer
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 01:48:55 AM »

I second this
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 01:53:04 AM »

Sry, but I don't "ban" polls, just because they have a tendency to favour this party/candidate and then the other by bigger margins.

For Rasmussen, they had a few bad cycles - but also had good elections at times - it's hard to know if their polls will be accurate or not in November.

Everyone can post polls in there, no matter if they are looking like a joke or not, as long as they are scientific (or at least look like they are).

Internal polls may also be posted, but NOT to the database (which I will delete if someone does).

Internals are important to see where a campaign currently stands.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 02:03:47 AM »
« Edited: July 30, 2014, 02:05:41 AM by Mr. Morden »

Ah, memories:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=70670.0

I wonder if the new Christian BRTD would recant his earlier position on this.  Is banning polls from the database something that Christ would do, or would he accept all polls as his brothers and sisters?

GaussLaw
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 10:13:56 AM »

Scott Rasmussen no longer heads the firm, and the polls don't show a clear partisan bias this year.

Keep 'em in for this cycle.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 11:33:39 AM »

I would make them sit out this cycle and see how they do.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 11:46:37 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2014, 11:48:29 PM by Sawx »

Everyone can post polls in there, no matter if they are looking like a joke or not, as long as they are scientific (or at least look like they are).

Then why did you basically say that I was being a hack because I said shouldn't be entered into the database because that poll used a carbon copy of 2010's electorate?

By your own logic, the Loras poll (that's now skewing the edge towards Ernst) that I had words with you over isn't a scientific poll. It uses gut feelings, not math.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 11:48:28 PM »

Every real poll that isn't done for a candidate's campaign should be entered into the database.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 01:44:50 AM »

Then why did you basically say that I was being a hack because I said shouldn't be entered into the database because that poll used a carbon copy of 2010's electorate?

By your own logic, the Loras poll (that's now skewing the edge towards Ernst) that I had words with you over isn't a scientific poll. It uses gut feelings, not math.

The Loras poll just uses a different methodology than other polls: If they think that turnout will be similar to 2010 and if they are polling only 2010 voters + those who have registered since is their thing.

It's not making them "unscientific". Besides, don't worry too much: Many more polls will be released, so the Loras poll won't impact the average.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies