Who will win the Senate control in November? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:34:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who will win the Senate control in November? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who will win the Senate control in November?
Democrats

Republicans

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 100

Author Topic: Who will win the Senate control in November?  (Read 5666 times)
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« on: July 27, 2014, 06:59:33 PM »

They couldn't do it in 2010. And 2014's no 2010. So... no. I think Democrats will lose a few seats, but...

DEMOCRATIC HOLD

Not necessarily. In 2010 the Republicans had to fight on hostile turf, and the only races they could have remotely gained ground on were in two swing states. Only two of their pickups were in red states.

Now, most of their pickup opportunities are on very friendly turf. South Dakota and West Virginia were pretty much DOA before Rockefeller and Johnson hung it up, and Montana's open race made it tilt towards the Republicans (even with Schweitzer). Alaska has a lot of ground to make up, and Begich is running the best campaign out of anyone, but Republicans double Democrats in the state. Arkansas is looking like Oklahoma 2.0 soon, even with two elitist Republicans as their candidates, so that leaves Louisiana, the sixth state on red turf. If they can force a runoff here, Landrieu's strategy of localization fails. A vote for Landrieu is a vote for Obama's party to control the Senate, and with that, Republicans take it.
^^^
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 02:13:36 AM »

At this point the GOP is definitely favored.

I'm predicting pickups in WV, NC, IA, AR, LA, SD, MT, and AK at the moment.  

I would bet money that the GOP will not have a net gain of eight seats.

Well, what number would you bet on? I'd bet on a GOP net gain of 6-7 seats myself, but now I'm wondering what you are predicting.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 02:37:36 AM »

At this point the GOP is definitely favored.

I'm predicting pickups in WV, NC, IA, AR, LA, SD, MT, and AK at the moment.  

I would bet money that the GOP will not have a net gain of eight seats.

Well, what number would you bet on? I'd bet on a GOP net gain of 6-7 seats myself, but now I'm wondering what you are predicting.

I think Senate Democrats will only lose 3-4.  However, I could see a net loss of 6 if things go badly.  I would be willing to bet that the GOP net gain will be six or less.

Fair enough, what you mentioned could happen. It seems like this year there is a particularly high number of close Senate races, and all of them could go to one party or another in a uniform manner on election night. So, if the GOP bombs in November, the party could very well max out at a net gain of 3.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies