Explain the following
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:20:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Explain the following
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Explain the following  (Read 866 times)
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2014, 06:51:59 PM »

Why is income broken down this way?

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 06:54:55 PM »

I don't know, you tell me.  Why do White People and Asians make more than brownies and blacks?
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 06:56:40 PM »

I don't know, you tell me.  Why do White People and Asians make more than brownies and blacks?

I don't know, hence why I am asking.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 07:01:36 PM »

Mmmm Hmmm...
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 07:25:35 PM »

Blacks are generally less skilled because of inferior education. Plus, they get arrested more often, so it's harder to find work after they get out of prison. To make matters worse, you've got things like minimum wage laws that discriminate against low-skilled workers (in some cases, rather openly. See: Davis-Bacon). There's other stuff like occupational licensing that discriminated against low-skilled poor people just trying to make a living (unlicensed street vendors being harassed by cops is an example of this). Finally, blacks are more welfare-dependent than members of other races, which had caused the black illegitimacy rate to skyrocket and eroded the black family. Kids in single-parent homes are way less likely to succeed and more likely to become criminals. Welfare dependency retards earnings and IQ while destroying the work ethic by creating arbitrary income cut-offs that lead to situations where an increase in income derived from work will lead to a net income loss due to the loss of welfare payments.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 07:40:44 PM »

Are you asking why there are racial disparities in income? Or are you asking why someone made a chart drawing attention to this fact?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 07:41:49 PM »

Systematic racism
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 07:44:13 PM »

Damn Asians keeping the rest of us down while they loot and pillage our great land
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 09:57:34 PM »

i think asians still are below whites if you adjust for cost of living in areas with large asian populations though
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 11:15:45 PM »

...What? Are you actually a) saying that receiving welfare makes you stupid and b) implying that IQ scores are a half-decent measure of intelligence?
RR1997
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 09:03:37 AM »
« Edited: July 28, 2014, 09:29:03 AM by RR1997 »

Relevant:

Here is the list of the top 10 wealthiest ethnic groups in America: (Source)
1. Indian American : $86,130
2. South African American : $81,912
3. Filipino American : $76,954
4. Taiwanese American : $73,988
5. Maltese American : $72,847
6. British American : $72,268
7. Russian American : $72,179
8. Australian American : $72,104
9. Latvian American : $71,797
10. Iranian American : $68,028

As an Indian American myself, I think that we are the wealthiest ethnic group in the country because most Indian immigrants have above-average educational attainment levels (Bachelor's & Master's degrees), and tend to go for high paying jobs. There are plenty of Indian doctors, engineers, and etc. My father himself is a doctor. Also, most Indian children/teenagers tend to excel in school.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 09:16:16 AM »

Those Filipino-American numbers seem high. I'd assume a lot of it comes from working in the healthcare industry (nursing seems to be an ethnic profession now) but still, I don't think I could safely characterize most Filipinos as making that much money. Particularly as Filipinos are the worst Asian ethnic group when it comes to school performance.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 09:58:47 AM »

Damn Asians keeping the rest of us down while they loot and pillage our great land

Obviously America's Asian population is small and membership in it is generally restricted to the highly educated. The Asian population of the world as a whole is much poorer than its white population.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 01:36:16 PM »

Xahar is correct. [/thread]
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 02:01:31 PM »

To really examine this question it would be useful to see data prior to the late 60s. One notable thing about this graph is that white and black household income have the same trends, with minor differences in amplitude, but start from a very different place. With Hispanics, the trend still follows but is less close and generally flatter as one one expect from a continual flow of new immigrants from lower on the socioeconomic ladder.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 06:53:12 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2014, 06:56:38 PM by Clarko95 »

Interesting how Hispanics were hit so hard by the 1990 recession and didn't stop falling until 1995, from which they recovered remarkably through 2001. I know the housing and commercial real estate markets sucked from 1989 - 1995, so maybe it was primarily construction jobs?

And Asians took big hits in 1990 and 2001, probably from having more invested in stocks and having more business owners.

Blacks never really got hit by recessions except for the big 1981-1982 one and 2001 (which they don't seem to have recovered from unlike other groups until 2006-2007, then the Great Recession hit)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 09:31:06 PM »

Blacks are generally less skilled because of inferior education. Plus, they get arrested more often, so it's harder to find work after they get out of prison.

Not all arrests lead to prison or even to convictions. An arrest is not itself a ground for rejecting a hire. The cops can make mistakes.

Here's a big one -- blacks are less likely to use illegal drugs than white people. They are more likely to be busted, perhaps because white people can often keep their drug use hidden. Drugs are a perverse luxury.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It is more likely that blacks are less likely to find work because there are fewer jobs where black people live -- especially the low-paying retail and restaurant jobs. Having done some census work in the heavily-black and very poor south side of Dallas in 1990 (most of my Census work was on the more prosperous north side) I noticed how difficult it was to find restaurants of any kind, including even fast-food places. People earning near-minimum wages lack the disposable income for dining out. The idea that the great rib places are in the 'black' neighborhoods is a myth; the good ones may have black cooks and wait staff, but those are in the prosperous 'white' part of town and rely heavily upon white clientele. 

If blacks get low-paying jobs, then they must commute to get them. 

No. Until the 1960s, many Northern blacks (particularly men)  had well-paying, middle-income jobs in industry. Automation killed off many of those jobs, and ill-educated black men  either had to get college degrees or find themselves ruined. Welfare became commonplace after the industrial jobs disappeared. 

Single-parent households would have the same effect if the cause were divorce or widowhood. Out-of-wedlock-birth often shows other pathologies, but I can hardly imagine a situation more likely to turn a kid into a sociopath than a divorce. Kids learn how to manipulate, but they lose all sense of security.    Just think of how nasty kids could get if they are 15 years old when Daddy casts off his 40-year-old wife for someone who resembles a centerfold model.

Most poor people do not become criminals. Sociopaths with none of the advantages become dumb crooks who get taken out of the gene pool until they are middle-aged. Sociopaths  from the upper class become the economic and political leaders who start wars, persecutions, and genocide.  In Hungary during WWII, the worst persecutors of Jews were from the aristocracy.

(OK, so we need to inculcate some ethical values into our kids applicable to all classes and cultures).   

Work is still a better deal than welfare -- if one can find full-time work. I know of one low-wage employer who tells its new hires how to use the welfare system to supplement low wages from part time work.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 07:01:14 AM »

ITT some people don't understand the hardship many have just trying to get jobs in the first place.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies