The People's Seat: Matt from VT for Northeast Senator
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:43:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The People's Seat: Matt from VT for Northeast Senator
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The People's Seat: Matt from VT for Northeast Senator  (Read 3880 times)
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2014, 01:07:55 AM »
« edited: September 21, 2014, 05:49:33 PM by Lt. Governor Matt Credico »

The People's Senator:

Friends, I thank you very much for being here tonight. Tonight we embark on a journey that we have taken so many times together in this glorious nation. Whenever The People have rallied behind a candidate, it has been impossible to defeat that candidate. I have begun this journey, not because I wish to stake out gain for myself, but because I am a man who has been here before, and knows what it takes to build this nation up. I am here because I believe the Senate needs a strong progressive, who will stand up to the powers at be, in order to ensure that this nation remains by The People for The People.

Some will undoubtedly ask me: "why are you running federally when you were just elected in the Northeast?" My answer to them would be that, while I love the region that I have been a citizen of my whole life, I believe that the senate needs a new voice; a voice dedicated to: liberty, populism, the love of bourbon, and a voice to defend the ideals that have made this nation great.

I am not asking for your vote because I feel I am entitled to it, rather I am asking for your vote because I believe you are entitled to a senator who will listen when you call upon him, and will vote the way he feels will best serve The People. We have many issues that face our great nation, but with your help, those issues never defeat or overcome us.

I wish that you will consider me on your ballot, because I not sit down I will stand up, I will not back down from necessary fights I will welcome them, I will not fear the wolf's that come to eat the sheep I will blow their brains out leaving chunks of brain matter across the great plains.

If you want a Senator who's a: strong progressive, uncompromisingly fights for civil liberty, and is a voice of The People; then a vote for Matt is a vote for you.

I'll be coming out with: a list of my demands my platform within the next couple of days.

Thank you all!

Matty
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 01:11:01 AM »
« Edited: July 28, 2014, 01:12:50 AM by Mechaman »

ITT your campaign sounds fake and gay and offers too many good ideas and wants to help people.

Not endorsed.

Also, why do you care about offering real solutions?  What's wrong with fake solutions?  Are they not good enough for you?
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 01:22:13 AM »

ITT your campaign sounds fake and gay and offers too many good ideas and wants to help people.

Not endorsed.

Also, why do you care about offering real solutions?  What's wrong with fake solutions?  Are they not good enough for you?

Fake solutions are great for solving certain situations. For instance, boob jobs can often times be fantastic! However, fake solutions also have their drawbacks. For instance, while arson can be an activity that makes any summer night a blast, the aftermath is a huge bummer. I mean really: do you want your hard earned tax dollars going to clean up after some dick who may have just burned down your favorite liquor outlet?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 11:59:06 AM »

Don't forget to comment on foreign policy, Matt (intervention, Middle East). I'm interested in where you stand there.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 01:54:43 PM »

Don't forget to comment on foreign policy, Matt (intervention, Middle East). I'm interested in where you stand there.

Thank you for your question Mr. President, as for foreign policy I will certainly post it in my platform, but if I recall correctly,  didn't Atlasia lead Israel and Palestine to a peace deal? As for intervention, I am very reluctant to enter into conflicts that can be avoided.  Aside from the obvious tragedy that is the loss of life resulting from conflict, the mountain of debt resulting from war takes away money that could be used on matters to benefit The People. So while I would support conflict in the face of direct threat to our national security and way of life, I am very skeptical about getting involved in most situations. Though, I would always at least consider getting involved in cases of genocide, and other atrocious human rights violations.

As for Israel and Palestine in real life, I believe we need to stand up to Israel especially in this particular instance. While I may not go as far as other forumites, in saying that we necessarily need to downright support the dissolution of the state of Israel, I believe we must demand that they treat the Palestinians as citizens with the same exact civil rights as everyone else, and if they do not do so, then aid will be cut until they do. In real life I support a one-state solution where all Arabs, Jews, and other groups of the region are treated with dignity, enjoy all civil liberties, and people of all religious and ethnic backgrounds are treated equally, whether it be Israel or Palestine in name (though, this obviously won't be happening under the current Israeli government)  However I support sanctions on all nations that commit human rights violations, no matter how powerful, including the people's Republic of China.

Anyone who has questions feel free to ask of course.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 02:18:30 PM »

Endorsed (sane). You and Polnut will make fantastic additions to the Senate.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 02:40:01 PM »

Endorsed (sane). You and Polnut will make fantastic additions to the Senate.

Thank you very much my good man! A large yacht, thank you cake is on its way. 
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 02:50:18 PM »

There isn't a Palestine-Israel crisis Matt in Atlasia.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 03:02:17 PM »

There isn't a Palestine-Israel crisis Matt in Atlasia.
I thought was the case which is why I pointed it out above. Wink

My points about sanctions on human rights violations, and only getting involved when absolutely necessary stand.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 03:57:20 PM »

This is a tough race, but the great return of Matt is important.

Either 2nd or 3rd pref for me.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 09:29:28 PM »

This is a tough race, but the great return of Matt is important.

Either 2nd or 3rd pref for me.

Thank you very much old friend! You deserve a statue in Tulsa right next to Bushie!
WrathOfTheGods
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 4.70

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 09:41:52 PM »

Best of lucks, good infidel. I'm still expecting to win, but my best wishes to you.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 09:53:51 PM »

Where do you stand on possessing a ridiculous amount of Atlasian flag apparel?
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 10:12:08 PM »

Best of lucks, good infidel. I'm still expecting to win, but my best wishes to you.
Thank you my good man! May the Gods bless you!

Where do you stand on possessing a ridiculous amount of Atlasian flag apparel?

I am, of course, all for any and all types of Atlasian flag merchandise. This includes: shirts, jackets, snapbacks, bongs, boxers, coffee mugs, kegs, condoms, Bibles, and coasters among other things. I myself have all of the things on that list, plus a vault (with the door painted the colors of the flag) filled to the brim with Atlasian joints, and cigars. I also am getting a Winnebago next week painted as the flag, with a portrait of Jesus and I on the side.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 04:21:27 PM »

I should have something resembling a platform later tonight, in the mean time please ask away! Smiley
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 01:50:07 AM »

Foreign Policy:

Intervention: Given the current world we live in where tyrants and evil men often times find themselves in position of great power, there will always be the possibility that this grand republic of ours will be forced to go to war against a ruthless, evil man who gives us no other choice in the matter. However, I believe that going to war always must be a last resort reserved for only when our national security is actually at risk, and we should also reserve the possibility of getting involved to put a stop on certain cases of extreme genocide.

Human Rights: I support putting heavy, severe sanctions on any nation that commits human rights violations, and in the most atrocious (i.e. genocides) cases I support outright embargos on all trade to and from that nation.

Nuclear Weapons: I dream that we can eventually live in a world without nuclear weapons, however at this juncture there remain untrustworthy individuals who possess nuclear weapons are not soon to give them up. We must talk with other nations who possess nuclear weapons, and we must insist (through economic restrictions if necessary) that all nations get on board with the common goal of universal disarmament.

Social Policy:

Abortion: I am pro-choice all the way. While I dislike the idea of abortion, I even more dislike the idea of government making decisions for women about their health. I believe it to be a necessary evil, and support abortion at very least through the second trimester being covered by state funded single-payer health insurance.

Gay Rights: Obviously here in Atlasia, we are far ahead of the United States on this issue, and I wholeheartedly support all advancements in LGBT rights made here in Atlasia. We still of course have work to do, as we do in all areas, but the fact that we are, where we are makes me proud.

Drugs: I am very glad that Atlasia has decided to end the war on drugs, and I hope to continue all of the progress made in this area. I support full legalization of all drugs, and I support the release from prison of all on-violent drug offenders.

Death Penalty: While some certainly may "deserve" such punishment, I believe that most arguments made for the use of capital punishment are made from an emotional standpoint, rather than a logical standpoint. The state has no right to take a life, and there are many potential legal complications that arise from the use of the death penalty. (i.e. wrongful conviction)

Individual Liberty: I very fundamentally believe that the state has no right to inflict its perceived sense of "morality" on an individual. When there is no harm done to another individual, I support the liberty in its most infinite form. The sky is the limit, as far as I'm concerned. This is why in the Northeast Assembly I voted for the highly controversial "same love act" as I believed that the state had absolutely no right to tell family members who have a romantic attachment to each other, that they have no right to express their love. I believe that "public safety" has been the code for more discrimination, than almost any other phrase known to man. Now of course, this isn't to say that I oppose legitimate efforts made to improve what in reality constitutes public safety, but giving the state the power to criminalize something just because they perceive it as "gross" seems rather hateful to me.

Economic Issues:

Healthcare: I believe that no Atlasian should directly have to pay for a medical bill in their entire life. I support 100% state funded single-payer health insurance for all, with enough funding to ensure that there are no wait lists, or denial in needed care for anyone. Obviously some will raise concerns about how to produce funding for such a measure, but I believe that slashing what we spend on pointless conflicts, and supporting heavy progressive income taxes, combined with the fact that those living in poverty would no longer have to visit emergency rooms for their care, costing millions of dollars more than simply providing them with regular check-ups.

Taxes: I support abolishing sales taxes, and drastically reducing so called (sin) taxes. The folks that most often have to pay these draconian rates are those low income folks who cannot afford to do so, yet tobacco and alcohol are both addicting substances, which even if one really cannot afford to buy, will buy anyway. Therefore instead of attempting to moronically "tax their addiction out of existence" I support drastically reducing taxes on such substances. I strongly support progressive income taxes as the most effective way to redistribute wealth, and help those in poverty get out of their situation. I do however support tax cuts for small businesses, especially if they are willing to pay their employees a living wage.

Unions/Right to Work: I unequivocally oppose "right to work" laws, and stand behind labor unions as one of the greatest long term combatants of poverty. Having a job is great, but having a job with security, higher wages, and numerous benefits is even better. Workers should essentially run our economy, and I believe that workers running the economy will result in incredibly low poverty rates, and a middle class as strong as steel.

Outsourcing: I support supporting strong restrictions and penalties on corporations who use the great resources and workers that Atlasia has to offer, and then when they want higher profits simply say "let's go to China and get free labor." I also am open minded to offering incentives to businesses who hire more unionized Atlasian workers, and decide against ditching our great nation.

I'll post more information tomorrow, and hopefully will have the opportunity to field more questions. Smiley

(I realize that some of my answers may already be the status quo in Atlasia, but my platform is meant to reflect my viewpoints, and may not be 100% up to date by Atlasian standards.)
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 11:16:45 AM »

Do you believe that felons should have the right to vote after they're out of prison?
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 10:57:27 PM »

Do you believe that felons should have the right to vote after they're out of prison?

I not only support the right for felons to vote when they are out of prison, but I also support the right of prisoners to vote while in prison. In real life, in my home state of Vermont all prisoners are allowed the vote, and this is the way I believe it should be. I don't believe the magnitude of crime committed should be taken into account in regards to the right to vote. I don't see why anyone should have voting taken away, and I strongly support the right of all citizens of age, regardless of anything else, to vote.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 11:43:26 PM »

I have a question, who are you more likely to vote with in the Senate, the Labor Party or the Federalists?

(Other than that endorsed!)
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 11:54:42 PM »

I have a question, who are you more likely to vote with in the Senate, the Labor Party or the Federalists?

My young friend, the reason The People's Party is the mighty force it has been, despite that it is always among the smallest major parties, is the fact that we vote the way we feel best serves The People. Sometimes I will agree with the Labor party, and other times with the Federalist Party, because as a member of this grand party of The People, I am not tied to machine style politics. Now aside from that, I share many of the populist values reflected by Labor, and I believe I share the rugged individualist ideals demonstrated by the Federalists.

Thank you for your support, and I hope that answers your question! Smiley
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 12:04:36 AM »

My young friend, the reason The People's Party is the mighty force it has been, despite that it is always among the smallest major parties, is the fact that we vote the way we feel best serves The People. Sometimes I will agree with the Labor party, and other times with the Federalist Party, because as a member of this grand party of The People, I am not tied to machine style politics. Now aside from that, I share many of the populist values reflected by Labor, and I believe I share the rugged individualist ideals demonstrated by the Federalists.

Thank you for your support, and I hope that answers your question! Smiley

Well it's great to know the People are going to elect a true maverick to the Senate this time Smiley
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 12:49:56 PM »

The election has started! Get out there and vote, you beautiful bastards!
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2014, 01:08:07 PM »

If I lose, Matt, I hope you win!

Now if that isn't a ringing endorsement, I dunno what is. Wink
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2014, 02:51:12 PM »

Same to you my good man! I intend to give you a ringing 2nd preference when I finally can arrive safely at the ballot. Wink
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2014, 03:06:22 PM »

Same to you my good man! I intend to give you a ringing 2nd preference when I finally can arrive safely at the ballot. Wink

Let's have a fun race. You'll likely have my third.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies