Judge strikes down DC's ban on handguns outside home
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:19:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Judge strikes down DC's ban on handguns outside home
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Judge strikes down DC's ban on handguns outside home  (Read 1874 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2014, 12:29:50 PM »

Wall Street Journal

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Freedom Ruling.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 12:38:23 PM »

Oh no, crime will sky rocket in DC now!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 12:39:30 PM »

Freedom Judge, Freedom Ruling!

OMGZ The good guyz can have gunz too??!
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 12:53:05 PM »

I see the brain trust are out in full force tonight.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 12:57:03 PM »

Freedom Judge, Freedom Ruling!

OMGZ The good guyz can have gunz too??!

What about The Safety of Our Children (TM.)?!?!
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 01:13:10 PM »

Glorious.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 01:35:33 PM »

You'd think Christmas came early judging some of the reactions here.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 01:38:18 PM »

But you still can't bring them into any federal or municipal buildings, making it very inconvenient to carry outside the home if you have a job.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 01:41:54 PM »

But you still can't bring them into any federal or municipal buildings, making it very inconvenient to carry outside the home if you have a job.

Or I would imagine any Metrorail or bus.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 01:45:46 PM »

DC will switch to "may-issue", and they'll only issue to politicians and wealthy citizens. The ruling is virtually meaningless.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 01:55:57 PM »

The Second Amendment may be the dumbest statute still standing in the modern era.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 02:13:10 PM »

This is not a positive step at all.  DC is a crowded city swarming with cops, it's insane to carry a gun for self-defense.  Maybe a few people will walk around strapped because they're scared of black people or whatever.  But, mostly this will have no effect on law-abiding citizens. 

The actual problem could for the police.  Imagine they've searched a suspect and they find an illegal gun.  He can claim it's a legal gun and perhaps they'll be forced to allow someone to go free and murder someone.  It could also interfere with police using an illegal gun charge to get someone off the streets so they can obtain warrants or prevent imminent violence.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 02:58:22 PM »

The Second Amendment may be the dumbest statute still standing in the modern era.

Hey, I've found a statement of yours with which I couldn't agree more strongly...
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 03:01:34 PM »

Hey, I've found a statement of yours with which I couldn't agree more strongly...

You guys just don't get it.   USA USA USA
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 03:11:56 PM »

DC will switch to "may-issue", and they'll only issue to politicians and wealthy citizens. The ruling is virtually meaningless.

Glorious news!
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 03:21:59 PM »

I'm sure this judge plans on allowing guns in his courtroom. #Limousineconservative
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 03:59:30 PM »

This is not a positive step at all.  DC is a crowded city swarming with cops, it's insane to carry a gun for self-defense.  Maybe a few people will walk around strapped because they're scared of black people or whatever.  But, mostly this will have no effect on law-abiding citizens. 

The actual problem could for the police.  Imagine they've searched a suspect and they find an illegal gun.  He can claim it's a legal gun and perhaps they'll be forced to allow someone to go free and murder someone.  It could also interfere with police using an illegal gun charge to get someone off the streets so they can obtain warrants or prevent imminent violence.

DC is one of the homicide capitals of the United States. Do you know anything about concealed handgun licenses? The criminal can just tell the cop the gun is legal and the cop must let him go? Huh?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 04:27:48 PM »

I should give you credit as the only gun control nut here to make arguments, but they are so bad, I just can't.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 05:57:53 PM »

DC is one of the homicide capitals of the United States.

D.C.'s 2012 murder rate actually put it at only 19th among U.S. cities, below such "homicide capitals" as Buffalo, Milwaukee, and Oklahoma City.

There are many factors that have contributed to D.C.'s crime turnaround, but removing guns from criminals certainly is among them. I don't pretend to know how much of a role this played versus, say, removing lead from our drinking water and air, but I suspect it is a significant factor.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 06:22:22 PM »

D.C.'s 2012 murder rate actually put it at only 19th among U.S. cities, below such "homicide capitals" as Buffalo, Milwaukee, and Oklahoma City.

There are many factors that have contributed to D.C.'s crime turnaround, but removing guns from criminals certainly is among them. I don't pretend to know how much of a role this played versus, say, removing lead from our drinking water and air, but I suspect it is a significant factor.

Homicide rate started falling after implementing and anti-gang task force in DC. Gangs don't get concealed handgun licenses. Also, the wiki you reference includes manslaughter. DC is a perpetual top-10 for homicide stats.

Unfortunately, the homicide rate rose sharply in 2013, due to the Navy shipyard shooting. Homicide rate was up sharply through the first half of 2014, as well. Violent crime is down, but homicide continues to plague the capital.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 06:54:21 PM »

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 07:49:16 PM »

Yeah, the fact that a guy who is probably a Nazi sympathizer is proclaiming the need for guns to be taken away from civilians doesn't really help your argument.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 08:02:52 PM »

I should give you credit as the only gun control nut here to make arguments, but they are so bad, I just can't.

I'm curious why you think anyone in DC should be going around strapped, besides law enforcement officers.

Also, there's the problem of assassination.  DC has tons of public figures that crazy people might want to kill when they have a psychotic break.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 08:18:06 PM »

I'm curious why you think anyone in DC should be going around strapped, besides law enforcement officers.
Because certain parts of the city are nuts and if you have to travel there, you should have the right to defend yourself.
What's to stop a fella from driving in from out of town if guns are illegal in the city?  It's not a problem now, I don't see it becoming a problem just because of this law.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 08:54:03 PM »

Because certain parts of the city are nuts and if you have to travel there, you should have the right to defend yourself.

Defend yourself from what?  There's some conceivable situation where a gun could be useful.  Those are way, way overestimated.  You can be safe other ways.  For example, always carry a decent amount of cash.  And, it's also not that simple.  Are you going to kill someone so they don't steal $50 from you?  It's funny, people here are so anti-Death penalty but they're fine with some Chuck Bronson wannabe acting as judge, jury and executioner.

And, ultimately, the self-defense rationale for guns holds no water in a collective sense.  Even if a gun makes you safer, the presence of guns makes the community less safe.  You should tolerate some level of risk if it means that everyone can be safer.

What's to stop a fella from driving in from out of town if guns are illegal in the city?  It's not a problem now, I don't see it becoming a problem just because of this law.

Why make it easier?  If it's legal, people will have more access to guns in more places.  Just statistically, more guns means more chance that a psychotic person will have a gun and decide to kill a Senator or Supreme Court Justice.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies