Top 25 animated shows
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:42:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Top 25 animated shows
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Top 25 animated shows  (Read 5177 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2014, 08:02:51 PM »

NOT A SLIDE SHOW!
honorable mention=Gravity Falls-the kids watch it, but I haven't paid any attention
25.The Critic-one of my favorites, I love Jon Lovitz
24.Daria-not my cup of tea
23.The Maxx-I don't even know what that is
22.Sealab2021-one of my top 5 adult cartoons, especially the early seasons.  Probably the best "silly" adult cartoon.
21.The Spectacular Spider-Man-if you say so list maker
20.The Life & Times of Tim-I think I've seen it, but not much
19.ATHF-second best "silly" cartoon
18.Space Ghost Coast to Coast-not as good as the other silly ones, but it's the first so it will always hold a special place in my heart....plus Brak is awesome
17.Boondocks-probably the best of these with a heart
16.The Tick-love it
15.Adventure Time-my kids love it, meh for me
14.Venture Bros-should be number 1
13.KOTH-should be higher...right there with Boondocks as a top show with a heart
12.SpongeBob-meh
11.Beavis and Butthead-it's fine, but KOTH is better
10.The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show-I haven't seen it since I was a lad, I wasn't a fan then...don't know how I'd react now
9.Family Guy-way to high, should be in the 20s at best.....it's a fine show, just out of his league....NO WAY it should be above Venture Bros, KOTH and Boondocks.  Probably here to appease the BRTD's of the world
8.Robot Chicken-fine show, rated to high....it's just jokes, no soul
7.Archer-great show, probably right where it should be
6.Avatar:The Last Airbender-my "angsty" teen likes....I don't get it...shouldn't be on the list
5.Ren and Stimpy-great show, right where it belongs
4.Futurama-great show, probably a little too high
3.Batman:TAS-I hear it's great, never really sat down to watch it
2.South Park-right where it belongs, behind the....
1.Simpsons-the grand daddy, the boss, big cheese, leader of the pack

Now destroy this list.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 08:05:24 PM »

I'm going to be that guy who says Simpsons seasons 1-10(? maybe 8 or 9) is number one...the rest...shudder.

Family guy and its derivatives suck. 

South Park is in the right spot.  No love for Harvey Birdman attorney at law?
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 08:07:32 PM »

Avatar definitely deserves to be on that list. Brilliant blend of humor, fantasy, and action without treading into the full on anime territory.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 08:14:55 PM »

No love for Harvey Birdman attorney at law?
I had totally forgotten that show, probably not enough seasons to make the list.  Great show though.

"did you get that thing I sent ya?" is what often say when I C4 a chump in a tank in BF3/4
Avatar definitely deserves to be on that list. Brilliant blend of humor, fantasy, and action without treading into the full on anime territory.
Yeah, that's what my kids are saying, I had no idea it had humor in it.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 08:18:18 PM »

It's well worth your time.  One of my favorites.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 08:21:04 PM »

No Bob's Burgers? Joke list.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 08:21:33 PM »

It's well worth your time.  One of my favorites.
I'm not sure I'd like a "serious" cartoon no matter how good it is.  I like jokes.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2014, 08:25:48 PM by angus »

They're covering too many genres in on fell swoop.  It's like saying Bohemian Rhapsody is a better song than Spring from Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons."  Sealab was edgy in its time.  Archer is now.  Both are decent.  Avatar and Adventure Time are good, if you're nine.  KOTH and Futurama are good if you're thirty-nine.  Daria is worth mentioning, but what about the original suburban Dallas kids who gave rise to Daria's spinoff existence?  Also, it is artificially selective--where's Ren & Stimpy?  

(As an aside, I'm a little disappointed with your analysis of Rocky.  What about Fractured Fairy Tales?  Or Peabody and Sherman?  And who could forget Boris and Natasha?  That show was a bed of morality, sociology, and physics wrapped in wisdom and spiced with magic, wit, and humor.  It was a veritable chimichanga for the senses, but with entertainment as the main condiment instead of of pico de gallo.)

Anyway, it's a fun list, but it is neither complete nor systematic.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 08:22:43 PM »

(post only viewed because it's a thread I started)

Excellent point, it should certainly be on the list.  Top 15ish.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 08:25:01 PM »

#5 on the list
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Like I said, I was just a little kid the last time I saw the show...which was like a hundred years ago.

I agree with the rest of your assessment.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 08:36:59 PM »

Ah, yes, Ren is there.

I agree with you totally regarding The Critic and Robot Chicken, but you should give Gravity Falls an open mind.  Sit with your fourth-grader sometime and watch it with an open mind, fourth-grader style.  It's actually not bad.

Bear in mind that cartoon fashions come and go.  There are mainstream cartoons now that are seem so bigoted and insensitive by current sensibilities that we have a hard time imagining that they were even allowed on screens back in the 30s and 40s, but if you watch them with an FDR-era open mind, they're pretty damned entertaining.  Of course, those stupid anti-Nazi Donald Duck patriotic pieces were stupid, even by the standards of their time, but at the time they probably seemed very nationalistic by their producers.

I think a better attempt would be to take on each as a genre.  The best patriotic cartoons, the best surrealist cartoons, the best teenage-children cartoons, the best pre-teen cartoons, the best cartoons of the pre-politically correct era, the best anti-communist cartoons, etc.

Also, Bob's Burgers is a good call.

traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 09:23:31 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2014, 09:25:40 PM by traininthedistance »

No Inspector Gadget?  For shame.  At least Ren & Stimpy is near the top where it belongs.

They're covering too many genres in on fell swoop.  It's like saying Bohemian Rhapsody is a better song than Spring from Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons."

Agreed.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 09:33:34 PM »

The second one on that list invalidates the whole thing. And the first is pretty dumb too considering a majority of episodes of that show are unwatchable garbage.

Also no My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab or Johnny Bravo.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 09:53:46 PM »

No King of the Hill?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 10:18:15 PM »

Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 10:27:16 PM »

I have a soft spot for Animaniacs which is apparently missing here.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 10:36:16 PM »

I have a soft spot for Animaniacs which is apparently missing here.

Didn't even notice that was absent. Awful.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 10:37:23 PM »

#5 on the list
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Like I said, I was just a little kid the last time I saw the show...which was like a hundred years ago.

I agree with the rest of your assessment.

I don't know the right placing for many of the shows, but given the time, technology, and culture it's hard for me to see why Rocky and Bullwinkle isn't at least 3rd on that list. I find myself still using quotes from the show I heard as a preschooler. Yet 50 years later I still occasionally learn references to the show's satirical targets that I didn't appreciate at the time and have to grin at the discovery.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 10:37:49 PM »

Avatar might as well be anime. The fact that it is continuously treated as "acceptable animation" by others who wouldn't touch anime perplexes me.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 12:13:54 AM »

As far as serious animation is concerned, Batman-TAS deserves its spot as best serious animation, but also because of consistency, it really should be #1 overall as well. Of course, if one considers all of the DCAU BAtman shows one series, while they'd retain the spot as best serious animation they too would suffer from some poor seasons.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 01:39:20 AM »

Avatar might as well be anime. The fact that it is continuously treated as "acceptable animation" by others who wouldn't touch anime perplexes me.

Why anime in general is frowned upon makes no sense frankly. I mean, can you seriously say Cowboy Bebop is a horrible show no matter what side of the Pacific Ocean you live on?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 08:46:06 AM »

It's #13.

Interesting list. Missing a few, in my opinion.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 09:24:10 AM »

Why anime in general is frowned upon makes no sense frankly. I mean, can you seriously say Cowboy Bebop is a horrible show no matter what side of the Pacific Ocean you live on?

I never cared for the "anime."  It took me years to figure out what that meant, by the way, as the word looks like a misspelling of a class of nitrogen-containing compounds.  About 15 years ago I finally figured out that "anime" was that Japanese-style drawing with big creepy eyes and rounded faces and little pointy noses.  Then it clicked.  Speed Racer was anime.  It was the only anime show that was on when I was little (very early 70s).  I remember that I never enjoyed that show, but my brother loved it and it came on between other shows that I liked, so I always caught snippets.  That monkey was far more scary than any of the monkeys on the Wizard of Oz.  The whole thing strikes me as very fascist.  (I had neither the words "fascist" nor "anime" in my vocabulary at the time, but I'm sure that it was how I felt.  Tense and a bit frightening.  Rigid.  Big, scary eyes.  Exceedingly large mouths--the head opens like a huge garbage can when they scream.  Unrealistic body movements.  And it's all so rigidly structured.  Even the surrealistic creatures have a certain pattern that is strictly followed by all the artists.)  I guess I can appreciate most other styles--the digitization style of The Critic, the sketchwork of the "Take on Me" video, stick figures, even Simpsonization--but anime is annoying. 

Ah, to each his own.  I never cared for Jackson Pollack's work either, although I understand that people pay millions of dollars for some of his paintings.  Nowadays, I've learned to stomach a little of the "anime" because many of my son's favorite cartoon movies are the Hayao Miyazaki movies.  They're actually pretty good stories, but the characters still look tense, rigid, stilted, and generally creepy to me.

The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 11:59:05 AM »

The rest pale in comparison to Hong Kong Phooey!
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 01:04:38 PM »

Courage the Cowardly Dog should at least get a mention for it serving as a vehicle for horror to become an acceptable type of children's entertainment. 
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies