Which Early Christian Heresy Are You?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:15:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Which Early Christian Heresy Are You?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which Early Christian Heresy Are You?  (Read 2742 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 29, 2014, 05:34:34 PM »

link

It's very silly, but has lots of big and obscure words, so it will please some of you.

Nestorianism was mine.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 06:29:44 PM »

You are Montanism!

Named after its founder, the second-century preacher Montanus, Montanism was a Christian movement which based its teachings upon special prophetic revelations granted to Montanus himself, along with his companions Prisca and Maximilla. Although the exact tenets taught by the three erstwhile prophets are unclear, Montanists were known for their strict disciplinary standards, which forbade remarriage after the death of a spouse and required strict fasting. Although Montanus's prophecies initially seemed to be compatible with mainstream Christian doctrine, Montanists eventually formed a separate sect which granted doctrinal authority to the writings of the three prophets. The most famous Montanist was Tertullian, a prominent African theologian, who became convinced in later life that the prophecies of Montanus were genuine; Montanists are therefore sometimes referred to in later writings as "Tertullianists."
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 07:16:42 PM »

You are Monophysitism!

Monophysitism (literally, "one-nature-ism") taught that Christ's human and divine natures were not distinct but dissolved together into a single hybrid nature; it is also known as "Eutychianism" after its most famous proponent, the fifth-century abbot Eutyches. Monophysite beliefs emerged as a reaction against the earlier heresy of Nestorian, which taught that Christ's divine and human natures remained wholly separate. Eutychian beliefs were condemned at the Council of Chalcedon in 451, which embraced a dyophysite position: Christ's human and divine natures, while remaining distinct, formed an inseparable and indivisible union within a single person and substance (Greek: "hypostasis"). The Chalcedonian belief in a "hypostatic union" of Christ's two natures is shared by Catholic, Orthodox and most Protestant churches, representing a consensus position that denies the extremes of both Monophysite and Nestorian Christology.

Although Monophysite beliefs were officially condemned at Chalcedon, the Monophysite controversy led to a schism which separated the so-called Oriental Orthodox churches from the remainder of Christendom, including the modern-day Coptic, Ethiopian, Eritrean, Syriac, Malankara Syrian, and Armenian churches. While these churches reject the authority of the council of Chalcedon, they deny that their doctrine is formally heretical in the sense taught by Eutyches, and often strongly object to the characterization of their beliefs as "monophysite."
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 07:41:35 PM »

link

It's very silly, but has lots of big and obscure words, so it will please some of you.

Nestorianism was mine.

Nestorious never taught that heresy. He was Orthodox.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 09:12:42 PM »

link

Nestorianism was mine.

That's a defensible position, but you can hardly just state it as fact.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 11:51:30 PM »

link

Nestorianism was mine.

The problem is Cyril's supporters suppressed much of what Nestorious actually thought. If anything the Roman Catholics have a problem because they hold Mary as a co-mediator with Jesus. Acts 4:12 and Romans 10:9-10 blow that all the way to kingdom come.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 12:21:41 AM »
« Edited: July 30, 2014, 12:25:02 AM by asexual trans victimologist »

link

Nestorianism was mine.

The problem is Cyril's supporters suppressed much of what Nestorious actually thought. If anything the Roman Catholics have a problem because they hold Mary as a co-mediator with Jesus. Acts 4:12 and Romans 10:9-10 blow that all the way to kingdom come.

Mediatrix and Co-Redemptrix aren't quite the same concept. Co-Redemptrix is difficult to square with the verses you cite, yeah, and there's a good reason why it isn't dogma.

The alleged problems with Nestorius's teachings went beyond Mariology anyway. His rejection of the Theotokos title was the crux of a fundamentally Christological issue.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 10:08:08 AM »

I'm disappointed that the quiz had almost nothing to do with theology. I actually would have liked to know which early Christian heresy I was...

I did like the recurring jokes about the pomegranates, though.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 02:35:00 PM »

Arianism..
I liked the question
If God exists and is both all-powerful and perfectly good, why is there something rather than nothing?
and responded
You must seek the answers to these matters within yourself.

very zen if you ask me
Dr. Liberty
RPLiberty

Political Matrix
E: 7.23, S: -4.00

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 12:40:35 AM »

You are Montanism!

Named after its founder, the second-century preacher Montanus, Montanism was a Christian movement which based its teachings upon special prophetic revelations granted to Montanus himself, along with his companions Prisca and Maximilla. Although the exact tenets taught by the three erstwhile prophets are unclear, Montanists were known for their strict disciplinary standards, which forbade remarriage after the death of a spouse and required strict fasting. Although Montanus's prophecies initially seemed to be compatible with mainstream Christian doctrine, Montanists eventually formed a separate sect which granted doctrinal authority to the writings of the three prophets. The most famous Montanist was Tertullian, a prominent African theologian, who became convinced in later life that the prophecies of Montanus were genuine; Montanists are therefore sometimes referred to in later writings as "Tertullianists."

Uh???

I'm disappointed that the quiz had almost nothing to do with theology. I actually would have liked to know which early Christian heresy I was...

I did like the recurring jokes about the pomegranates, though.
I liked the question
If God exists and is both all-powerful and perfectly good, why is there something rather than nothing?
and responded
You must seek the answers to these matters within yourself.

very zen if you ask me

Agree with both.
GaussLaw
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 11:23:37 AM »

Pelagianism, but my answers were mostly just trolling for a lot of them.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 09:12:10 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2014, 09:13:41 PM by ilikeverin »

Oh my goodness, that was hilarious.

You are Sabellianism!

Sabellianism, named after the early third-century priest Sabellius, taught that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are not three distinct persons within the Godhead, but are merely modes through which the single indivisible God is manifested to humanity. Sabellius's teaching opposed the emerging Trinitarian consensus of the early church, and so his writings were attacked by leading theologians of the time, including Tertullian and Hippolytus of Rome. Sabellius himself was excommunicated by Pope Callistus I in 220, and the Athanasian Christological formula adopted by the council of Nicaea in 325 definively classified Sabellianism as a heresy.

Sabellianism can also be referred to as "modalism" (since it teaches that the persons of the Trinity are modes of being rather than separate persons) or "Patripassianism" (since it implies that the Father, and not only the Son, experienced suffering on the cross).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies