Rank your elections you could vote in from most to least favorite
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:23:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Rank your elections you could vote in from most to least favorite
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Rank your elections you could vote in from most to least favorite  (Read 4047 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 29, 2014, 10:21:04 PM »

Mine:

2008 - Obviously my favorite. It was exciting in the primary too, two hard fought victories for Obama, VERY entertaining, and coinciding with my graduating and all. Just an all around incredible time. And good results too. Not much negative I can say about this one aside from the now infamous Senate race recount fiasco, but hey, the right guy ended up winning out after all.
2006 - A close second. Consumed my life for awhile. But a truly shining moment in my life, especially as my congressional race was a hard fought upset I was part of. The only real disappointment was Pawlenty's reelection. In hindsight that was probably a bigger deal for me than the Democrats taking Congress, but this is only about elections, not the afterwards, so this one is still quite high up.
2012 - In comparison to the above, this one was relatively boring on the Presidential and congressional elections. But regardless, Obama gets reelected after all the attacks, Obamacare controversy, screaming about how it just couldn't be done because the economy was so bad, the GOP primary was relatively entertaining as well. Plus the Democrats did pretty well in Congress too even if we weren't winning the House, and for the first time in my life my state ends up under an all Democratic trifecta. AND the icing on the cake being the defeat of both the marriage and voter ID amendments, which is exactly the sort of thing you'll be able to say you proudly voted against in decades to come. Another great time.
2010 - You'd expect this one to be lower. But really to me it wasn't a total disaster. I got a Democratic Governor finally. Republicans got the House, but on the backs on mostly useless Blue Dogs, and we weren't getting much done anyway. That's not to say there weren't some hard gut punches, the two most obvious being Jim Oberstar and losing the legislature despite taking the Governorship, but I just looked to the future for that, and rightfully so. The worst part was that it was a redistricting year. This one didn't hurt quite as bad as....
2004 - This is an election that honestly horrifies me to the day. You can understand why it happened, but that doesn't change the fact that it was an awful event. Not many bright spots, though we did well in the legislative elections in Minnesota. There was a bit of a bittersweetness to it though, Minnesota was targeted and we held out, it's the only presidential election where I actually followed the conventions closely (and probably will be the only one), and my first look at all the details of the primary process. It had some benefits, but still was horribly depressing.
2002 - This one just sucked. Period. Wellstone's dead, someone terrible takes his seat, GOP takes the Senate and gets unchecked control, even local elections in Minnesota were bad. One hell of an awful election to be your first one to vote in. I was a little pessimistic after that for obvious reasons, but hey things did get better.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 10:30:44 PM »

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 11:29:07 PM »

No election I've ever voted in has had a favourable outcome.

My favourite was the 2011 federal election. I know the Tories won a majority, but seeing the NDP form opposition was really cool to witness. May not happen again for a long time

Least favourite: 2006 municipal election. I worked on the campaign of a very strong candidate who led all the polls until the final week. Then he lost to an ignoramus who lasted one term.

Honourable mention: 2011 provincial election. Worked my butt off for the NDP candidate in Ottawa Centre. Thought it was going to be close, but it wasn't. The Liberal incumbent won pretty easily.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 11:30:41 PM »

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 01:02:14 AM »

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 01:40:06 AM »

The voting age in Austria was lowered to 16 in 2007, when I was already 20 years old.

That means that I was not able to vote in many important 2004 elections, such as President, EU elections and the Salzburg state election.

The elections I voted in since July 2005 (when I was 18) are:

2006 Federal
2008 Federal
2009 Salzburg State
2009 Salzburg Municipal
2009 EU
2010 President
2013 Salzburg State
2013 Federal
2014 Salzburg Municipal
2014 EU

The most interesting of those was probably the 2006 federal election, in which it was assumed that the Conservatives (ÖVP) would win the election, but on election day the Social Democrats (SPÖ) defeated Chancellor Schüssel.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 05:01:09 AM »
« Edited: July 30, 2014, 05:10:24 AM by Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do »

Bundestag elections:

1) 2002
2) 2005
3) 2013
4) 2009

2009 and 2013 were boring because they resulted in the governing coalitions everybody had expected from the start. The only twist would have been CDU/SPD (with Merkel at the helm) instead of CDU/FDP (with Merkel at the helm) and vice versa. But those twists didn't even happen. Total snoozefests, also because the SPD also chose to nominate two of the most boring Chancellor-candidates possible in both years.

2002 and 2005 were kind of cool because everybody had expected a CDU/FDP win, but the campaign machine Gerhard Schröder came from behind and narrowly turned it into SPD/Greens and CDU/SPD respectively. (Say what you will, Schröder may have been a mediocre Chancellor, but as a candidate he was simply awesome to watch. Especially when he was the underdog.)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 07:33:28 AM »
« Edited: July 30, 2014, 08:30:22 AM by Miles »

1) 2012 General
2) 2012 Primary. This was when Amendment 1 was on the ballot. One of my best friends was gay and he signed as witness when I sent in my absentee ballot. It passed, obviously, but I was happy to vote against it.
3) 2014 Primary. Not much, but I got to vote for Kay Hagan. I also made sure my parents (registered Republicans) voted against Tillis.
4) 2013 Mayoral
5) 2012 Runoff

I could have voted in the 2010 General but didn't. I guess people like me were why the year was as bad as it was for Democrats. Thats kinda why I feel guilty about 2010.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 07:39:31 AM »

2011 federal: Goes without saying.
2014 provincial: Getting rid of a truly awful government.
2012 provincial: Also getting rid of a truly awful government.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 07:55:33 AM »

All in Wisconsin:

2008 (Obama!)
2006 (Democrats take the Senate)
2012 (Romney's tears)
2009 (Dane County local elections)
2007 (Dane County local elections)
2010 (Reverse 2006)
2012 (Walker Recall Sad)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 08:22:14 AM »

tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 08:26:47 AM »

Yeah, I skipped 2010 and didn't vote from abroad. Shame on me.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 08:57:29 AM »

2012- A great year all-around. I pounded the pavement big time and it felt like it paid off, even though it didn't alter the outcome. The fact that SCOTUS didn't overturn the Affordable Care Act was practically a miracle by June, only more miraculous was the fact that the Euro survived. The turning point was on July 26, when Mario Draghi said the ECB would do "whatever it takes" to defend it, just as I had always advocated as the solution.

2008- This one was sort of like the Song dynasty in the history of Imperial China, or the LBJ presidency. Both the best and the worst. It was definitely the most painful election year ever, due to the primary, hurt way more than 2000 or 2004 when Bush won. I felt stabbed in the back by my own purported allies on the left. No doubt they felt similarly, but hey, they won. The Palin-filled GE, and following economic meltdown was no picnic, either. All of this significantly dimmed Obama's win. So why is it so high? Well, I was working for a campaign and never more involved in politics than then. The sheer excitement of it all and what I learned wins in the end.

2010- It's funny how a year that's horrible for my party can be brightened by wins in a few key races that I really cared about, whereas a year that's great for my party can be nearly ruined by a few losses. But that's what happened here. In September, when Adrian Fenty and Mike Castle lost their primaries, it looked like it was going to be a year from  hell. But on election night, Harry Reid survived, and the outcomes of races in Colorado, California, New York, Washington, Alaska, West Virginia and Connecticut were all gratifying. Of course, the Democrats took a shellacking overall, but I was expecting massive losses due to the economic situation. The biggest disappointments were probably losing Russ Feingold and getting Rick Scott.

2006- The opposite of 2010. A great year for Democrats, but by election night my hopes were too high and I remember being quite disappointed we didn't pick up the Minnesota governorship. Also a number of close House races were disappointing. Nonetheless still an exciting year and provided some satisfaction at dealing Bush Jr. his first ever unfavorable election.

2004- Nothing much to say about this one. I was pretty convinced Bush was going to win from the beginning and there were no real surprises.

2002- This was the night when it became fait accompli that we were going to war with Iraq, and apparent that Bush's politicization of 9/11 had paid off. The fiction of a 50/50 stalemate in American politics left over from 2000 was also broken. Many bad things stemmed from this night. The only good thing is that I found out one of my best friends, who I'm still friends with now, was a leftist.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 09:34:33 AM »

2008 - hands down one of the most exciting elections in history.
2012 - extremely boring, voted for Santorum in the IL primary and didn't bother voting in the general
2010 - I actually don't remember anything about the campaign other than the result. Didn't bother voting.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 10:27:07 AM »

2013 Federal - Loved the results, great night, enjoyed watching the returns too! Also did predictions for each seat, some of which I didn't expect (Lyons going Liberal to name one)
2013 State - Just a re-election, so not as exciting as the federal election, although still a couple of unexpected results (central Perth going Liberal for one).
2010 Federal - had my fingers crossed waiting for the government composition! It wasn't to be though, although I didn't mind. After all, one year prior, I was expecting Turnbull to still lead the Liberals, and lose the 2010 election outright.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 12:40:07 PM »

2012 - Not a great election, but better than the other one I voted in.
2013 - Horrible, horrible election all around.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 01:13:22 PM »

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 03:30:41 PM »

they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 04:46:56 PM »

Beet's 2008 reaction is an interesting contrast to mine. Of course supporting separate candidates plays a role, I wouldn't be too fond of it ether if Hillary had won...but if she had won the election would be pretty dull and not as exciting as it as. I must ask though why the Palin-filled GE is a negative, it actually boosted the excitingness of it.

But yeah that's one for the history books. In stark contrast to the very boring 2014. I'd actually rather read archives of the 2008 or 2006 forums than read the contemporary midterm election forums.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 06:07:15 PM »

Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 07:08:02 PM »

Beet's 2008 reaction is an interesting contrast to mine. Of course supporting separate candidates plays a role, I wouldn't be too fond of it ether if Hillary had won...but if she had won the election would be pretty dull and not as exciting as it as. I must ask though why the Palin-filled GE is a negative, it actually boosted the excitingness of it.

But yeah that's one for the history books. In stark contrast to the very boring 2014. I'd actually rather read archives of the 2008 or 2006 forums than read the contemporary midterm election forums.

Election night 2006 was such a blast. Phil's Santorum drama, McCaskill, Tester, and Webb all squeaking by at the last minute. Good times all around. I actually don't think I can name a singe D vs. R matchup for 2014 (I can tell you who's running for re-election and whatnot but I couldn't tell you their opponents). The lack of excitement, drama, urgency, and engaging personalities in US politics is why Update has sort of overtaken it as the focal point of this forum.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 07:18:47 PM »

2000 -- the first election in which I could vote, and given that this was near the height of my interest in politics, I loved it: the close race, the potential for massive political change and -- of course -- the 36 days of nauseating, nail-biting indecision after the election.

2002 -- one of my good friends from childhood / high school had just graduated from college and was running for state representative. Even though he was a member of the other party, I jumped in and supported him wholeheartedly ... knocking on doors, walking in parades, writing blogs and discussing campaign strategy in weekend meetings at his parents' house! And he ended up demolishing the incumbent nearly 2-to-1!

2004 -- another long presidential campaign season, with Howard Dean screaming his way to failure and the Democrats' lackluster choice going up against a weak George W. Bush. That was fun, but again, my friend from back home was involved in his first reelection campaign; again, he won nearly 2-to-1 despite some nasty politics from his opponent. ALSO -- MYPALFISH!

2008 -- although I was quite a bit less interested in politics at this time, my own views had changed enough that I was experiencing this election from a different point on the political spectrum. My reluctant acceptance of Obama was greatly accelerated by his choice of Biden for VP and McCain's choice of Palin for the same role.

2006 -- I left the GOP in the summer of 2006 after being disgusted that a party that held the White House, the House and the Senate spent less than 100 days in Washington and couldn't get together to address some major issues. Immigration reform needed addressed then just as much as it does today, and the GOP's refusal to address it (probably for election-related reasons) swore me off of political parties. I was ecstatic when they lost control of Congress, if only because I wanted to see losers lose.

2012 -- there was probably no one in the world that I felt deserved a punch in the face more than smug Mitt Romney, but Obama wasn't exactly the superstar he was four years earlier. The GOP primary was fun to watch; otherwise, I really didn't get into this election other than election night.

2010 -- meh. Nothing really memorable about this one for me outside of disbelief that the Tea Party carried so much weight.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 10:14:32 PM »

Because she was a very unpleasant woman and I got sick of seeing her plastered all over the place. If you look at Google trends interest in her was even higher than interest in Obama. Basically just got sick of talking about her all the time. What I hated the most though was how she tried to claim Hillary's mantle and use the sexism that was thrown at Hillary to cast herself as some sort of champion for women. It just felt that everything Hillary stood for was being inverted 180 degrees. A smart, hardworking woman (Hillary) who had been fighting for women and children for 30 years replaced by some vacuous, sexualized bimbo who can't make it through an interview with Katie Couric and can't tell the president if France from some Canadian radio jockey? The ultimate f--ing insult, even typing it out like this now feels bad.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 10:31:10 PM »

2008, 2006, 2012, 2010.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2014, 12:21:46 AM »

2012 - I was very excited and proud to vote for President Obama. Even though my vote did not directly elect him because of the electoral college it helped get him to 51% which makes me proud. After 2011, the first year I was severely politically engaged, I was more fired up than most to vote in '12.

2008 - I was a college sophomore caught up in his own drama this fall. I voted by absentee, and didn't watch the election returns that night. I was not very engaged.

2010 - I was an idiot caught up in organizing his senior recital this fall, and did not vote.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies