Rank your elections you could vote in from most to least favorite (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:41:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Rank your elections you could vote in from most to least favorite (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rank your elections you could vote in from most to least favorite  (Read 4088 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: July 30, 2014, 08:57:29 AM »

2012- A great year all-around. I pounded the pavement big time and it felt like it paid off, even though it didn't alter the outcome. The fact that SCOTUS didn't overturn the Affordable Care Act was practically a miracle by June, only more miraculous was the fact that the Euro survived. The turning point was on July 26, when Mario Draghi said the ECB would do "whatever it takes" to defend it, just as I had always advocated as the solution.

2008- This one was sort of like the Song dynasty in the history of Imperial China, or the LBJ presidency. Both the best and the worst. It was definitely the most painful election year ever, due to the primary, hurt way more than 2000 or 2004 when Bush won. I felt stabbed in the back by my own purported allies on the left. No doubt they felt similarly, but hey, they won. The Palin-filled GE, and following economic meltdown was no picnic, either. All of this significantly dimmed Obama's win. So why is it so high? Well, I was working for a campaign and never more involved in politics than then. The sheer excitement of it all and what I learned wins in the end.

2010- It's funny how a year that's horrible for my party can be brightened by wins in a few key races that I really cared about, whereas a year that's great for my party can be nearly ruined by a few losses. But that's what happened here. In September, when Adrian Fenty and Mike Castle lost their primaries, it looked like it was going to be a year from  hell. But on election night, Harry Reid survived, and the outcomes of races in Colorado, California, New York, Washington, Alaska, West Virginia and Connecticut were all gratifying. Of course, the Democrats took a shellacking overall, but I was expecting massive losses due to the economic situation. The biggest disappointments were probably losing Russ Feingold and getting Rick Scott.

2006- The opposite of 2010. A great year for Democrats, but by election night my hopes were too high and I remember being quite disappointed we didn't pick up the Minnesota governorship. Also a number of close House races were disappointing. Nonetheless still an exciting year and provided some satisfaction at dealing Bush Jr. his first ever unfavorable election.

2004- Nothing much to say about this one. I was pretty convinced Bush was going to win from the beginning and there were no real surprises.

2002- This was the night when it became fait accompli that we were going to war with Iraq, and apparent that Bush's politicization of 9/11 had paid off. The fiction of a 50/50 stalemate in American politics left over from 2000 was also broken. Many bad things stemmed from this night. The only good thing is that I found out one of my best friends, who I'm still friends with now, was a leftist.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 10:14:32 PM »

Beet's 2008 reaction is an interesting contrast to mine. Of course supporting separate candidates plays a role, I wouldn't be too fond of it ether if Hillary had won...but if she had won the election would be pretty dull and not as exciting as it as. I must ask though why the Palin-filled GE is a negative, it actually boosted the excitingness of it.

But yeah that's one for the history books. In stark contrast to the very boring 2014. I'd actually rather read archives of the 2008 or 2006 forums than read the contemporary midterm election forums.

Because she was a very unpleasant woman and I got sick of seeing her plastered all over the place. If you look at Google trends interest in her was even higher than interest in Obama. Basically just got sick of talking about her all the time. What I hated the most though was how she tried to claim Hillary's mantle and use the sexism that was thrown at Hillary to cast herself as some sort of champion for women. It just felt that everything Hillary stood for was being inverted 180 degrees. A smart, hardworking woman (Hillary) who had been fighting for women and children for 30 years replaced by some vacuous, sexualized bimbo who can't make it through an interview with Katie Couric and can't tell the president if France from some Canadian radio jockey? The ultimate f--ing insult, even typing it out like this now feels bad.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 10:40:54 PM »

New ranking

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies