Illinois Statewide Mega-Thread: State has first budget in over a year
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:23:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Illinois Statewide Mega-Thread: State has first budget in over a year
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: Illinois Statewide Mega-Thread: State has first budget in over a year  (Read 29979 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2015, 08:15:40 AM »

The Dems I guess are not inclined to vote unanimously to override a veto to keep the tax hike going I guess. There must be some DINO's in their ranks. Tongue
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2015, 01:04:32 PM »

Madigan calls Rauner's budget proposal "reckless"

Says you can't balance Illinois' budget without new revenue streams, which he insists on if he is to work with Rauner in spending cuts.

And he knows full well that the Gov's official budget cannot include new revenue streams. See my comment about the law he passed in 2011.

Yet you know full well that the Governor has flatly rejected both an income tax surcharge and an extension of the income tax hike.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2015, 01:28:39 PM »

Says you can't balance Illinois' budget without new revenue streams, which he insists on if he is to work with Rauner in spending cuts.

And he knows full well that the Gov's official budget cannot include new revenue streams. See my comment about the law he passed in 2011.

Yet you know full well that the Governor has flatly rejected both an income tax surcharge and an extension of the income tax hike.

But he has suggested other revenue sources including an expansion of what is currently the narrowest sales tax base in the US.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2015, 01:45:57 PM »

But he has suggested other revenue sources including an expansion of what is currently the narrowest sales tax base in the US.

Also one of the lowest income tax rates on top incomes in the US. Also one of the flattest tax systems in the US, which would be exacerbated with a broader sales tax, which is regressive.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2015, 08:33:10 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2015, 08:36:04 PM by Mr. Illini »

Something I have been working on for a few weeks now. Enjoy, although Republicans will enjoy a little more than others:

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2015, 10:48:10 PM »

Also one of the lowest income tax rates on top incomes in the US. Also one of the flattest tax systems in the US, which would be exacerbated with a broader sales tax, which is regressive.

Actually a sales tax on services hits the middle class more than the poor. People of limited means are more likely to buy and do it themselves whereas people with more income are more likely to hire a service to do a task. Interestingly the most lucrative parts of the service economy are in legal and accountancy services, which are less used by lower income families. Sales taxes as a whole may be regressive, but IL already includes the most regressive parts and exempts the parts that are preferentially used by those with more disposable income.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2015, 12:47:23 PM »

Rauner with unprecedented absence at EQIL LGBT Gala

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/370847/chicago-politics-menu-lgbt-gala

Remember they campaigned against him really hard last year, meanwhile awarding Mark Kirk their Freedom Award. One would think that it would be a good move for an incumbent GOPer to show support for LGBT issues in this state, but I guess he doesn't want the same advantage that Kirk will have in his next election.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2015, 10:21:34 PM »

I have a few more maps like this coming, but here's 2014 Governor in the East St. Louis area (Madison and St. Clair counties, plus I threw in Macoupin):

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2015, 02:04:41 AM »

More of East St. Louis:

2010:

Swing from 2010 to 2014:

Change in turnout:

Turnout was down almost everywhere, but East St. Louis itself cast almost 14% fewer votes in 2014, which really didn't help Quinn.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2015, 11:55:09 AM »

Excellent news on immigration reform.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2015, 12:57:58 PM »

I'm liking Rauner a lot. He's taking strong stands on both sides of the spectrum. Keep it up!
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #111 on: March 24, 2015, 11:15:05 PM »

Something I have been working on for a few weeks now. Enjoy, although Republicans will enjoy a little more than others:

Back to how voting in Illinois once was and SHOULD be! Smiley
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2015, 11:18:45 PM »

I think some time out of power in Illinois will do Democrats some good.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2015, 04:22:15 PM »
« Edited: April 13, 2015, 04:24:26 PM by Mr. Illini »

U of I Chancellor and Provost: Rauner cuts are "draconian," of "magnitude we cannot simply absorb"

http://www.dailyillini.com/news/article_f112ec54-e175-11e4-899d-9f3de8fb64d4.html

Good to see U of I standing up for its history as a world-class public university and key research piece for our state. As many things that I can't stand about Rauner (and Walker), it really digs into me even deeper when institutions like U of I (and UW-Madison) start looking at slashed funding.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2015, 01:12:54 PM »

Right-to-work goes down in flames in Illinois House with zero yes votes

LOL!
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: May 18, 2015, 12:22:04 PM »

Legislative Dems have the system down to a point - they friggin wrote it. They are using it to completely discredit all of Rauner's proposals.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #116 on: May 18, 2015, 05:57:44 PM »

Man, Madigan is creaming Rauner.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2015, 10:02:06 PM »

How good for the state, we've REALLY been trending up under huge Democratic majorities!!
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2015, 10:22:58 PM »

How good for the state, we've REALLY been trending up under huge Democratic majorities!!
Right to work wouldn't solve any of the state's problems.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #119 on: May 18, 2015, 11:00:25 PM »

She's well on her way to avenging the tragic loss of the People's Pat!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #120 on: May 20, 2015, 10:25:58 AM »

Rauner campaigned as a moderate, but Dems knew once the tax increase expired, services will be cut. Better way of handling a disappointment of a GOV, dont primary Quinn, see how a Republicans will look in face of service cuts, and let Madigan ride in, in 2018, on a good note.

Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: May 22, 2015, 05:05:11 PM »

And no conservative policies will help to address the issues. Dems drive up the deficit with spending, what does Rauner want to do? Let the tax hike expire.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: June 24, 2015, 01:48:05 PM »

My prediction is that he will sign pot decrim and conversion therapy ban. He will veto the equal pay bill.

I'd say he doesn't have much to worry about with "angering his base." The risk of a depressed turnout in rural downstate is worth making moves that will please independents in the suburbs.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2015, 10:03:08 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2015, 10:43:45 PM by Clarko95 »

Good news! Rauner and the legislature passed and signed a bill, the "Illinois Unemployment Insurance Act", two days ago, after being unanimously approved by the legislature and is hailed as a compromise between business and labor.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It also restores $25 million to older people on unemployment who also had their Social Security benefits reduced by up to 50% of the estimated insurance amount.

http://www.rebootillinois.com/2015/11/09/editors-picks/mark-fitton/rauner-business-labor-strike-deal-on-unemployment-insurance-reforms/48558/

Additionally, Rauner is reforming the Illinois EDGE policy of doling out tax credits to companies that create jobs in one location and still lay off in other locals. Created in 1999 by then-Governor Ryan to reward companies that hired and/or invested in their physical plants, the bill became a handout for companies that never fulfilled their obligations, especially after a clause treating each separate location of the same firm as a separate, independent unti was added to the Corporate Accountability for Tax Expenditures Act in 2003.

Illinois initially budgeted over $1 billion for the program, with over $450 million doled out so far, $102 million in 2014 alone. At least 78 companies who signed EDGE contracts since 2004 were not actually required to add employees, with at least 51 of those agreements cut by the Quinn administration.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/watchdog/ct-rauner-edge-changes-met-20151111-story.html
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2015, 10:24:44 PM »

Good news! Rauner and the legislature passed and signed a bill, the "Illinois Unemployment Insurance Act", two days ago, after being unanimously approved by the legislature and is hailed as a compromise between business and labor.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It also restores $25 million to older people on unemployment who also had their Social Security benefits reduced by up to 50% of the estimated insurance amount.

http://www.rebootillinois.com/2015/11/09/editors-picks/mark-fitton/rauner-business-labor-strike-deal-on-unemployment-insurance-reforms/48558/

Great!  And with that Rauner has already accomplished more than Pat Quinn did in 7 years.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies