Illinois Statewide Mega-Thread: State has first budget in over a year
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:48:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Illinois Statewide Mega-Thread: State has first budget in over a year
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
Author Topic: Illinois Statewide Mega-Thread: State has first budget in over a year  (Read 29980 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: June 12, 2016, 05:20:41 PM »

Reminds me of Louis Litt from Suits, it seems like the only Kennedy gene he's inherited (other than his money)
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #151 on: June 13, 2016, 12:00:15 AM »

If Chris Kennedy is going to run for governor he is going to have to do something about his "smile". My goodness its hard to look at.

If Sheila Simon could manage, I'm sure he'll be fine.

Oh goodness, I had forgotten about her! At least she didn't have to be on tv often. Anyway, I would definitely welcome a Governor Kennedy.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #152 on: June 14, 2016, 01:11:37 PM »

So Lisa Madigan really doesn't want the job?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #153 on: June 14, 2016, 01:31:02 PM »

So Lisa Madigan really doesn't want the job?

That will depend on her father based on what happened in the last cycle.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #154 on: June 14, 2016, 07:30:06 PM »

I know there was chatter about Dick Durbin considering a gubernatorial run -- how serious is that possibility?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #155 on: June 14, 2016, 07:40:28 PM »

I know there was chatter about Dick Durbin considering a gubernatorial run -- how serious is that possibility?

He declined already.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #156 on: June 14, 2016, 08:31:34 PM »

The People's Pat not ruling out running for office again!

MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #157 on: June 15, 2016, 03:49:50 AM »

IL voters blame Madigan, not Rauner for impasse by a wide margin

The poll found that voters blame Madigan by a decisive 21-point margin, 55-34 percent, with just 9 percent saying "both" and a mere 2 percent saying they were undecided.

Who is to blame for the impasse? Rauner or Madigan?

Chicago: Rauner (52%-35%)
Suburban Cook County: Madigan (54%-36%)
Collar counties: Madigan (64%-27%) (!)
Downstate: Madigan (59%-29%)

Men: Madigan (62%-29%)
Women: Madigan (55%-38%)
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #158 on: June 19, 2016, 09:13:44 AM »

IL voters blame Madigan, not Rauner for impasse by a wide margin

The poll found that voters blame Madigan by a decisive 21-point margin, 55-34 percent, with just 9 percent saying "both" and a mere 2 percent saying they were undecided.

Who is to blame for the impasse? Rauner or Madigan?

Chicago: Rauner (52%-35%)
Suburban Cook County: Madigan (54%-36%)
Collar counties: Madigan (64%-27%) (!)
Downstate: Madigan (59%-29%)

Men: Madigan (62%-29%)
Women: Madigan (55%-38%)

I'd just like to remind everyone that Obama won Chicago with around 80% of the vote both times and won by huge margins in the collar counties and suburban Cook both times as well, and even won Downstate in 2008.

For such huge majorities in every part of the state except Chicago to back their Republican governor over their Democratic Speaker of the House is unprecedented. It's also crazy that only a bare majority in Chicago blames Rauner.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #159 on: June 19, 2016, 01:05:47 PM »

Madigan is the closest a human being can come to garbage
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #160 on: June 19, 2016, 01:23:13 PM »

He's not that bad, aside from bankrupting the state.  The Illinois Democrats are pretty moderate thanks to him.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #161 on: June 19, 2016, 01:32:53 PM »

He's not that bad, aside from bankrupting the state.  The Illinois Democrats are pretty moderate thanks to him.
Making illinois a third world country to pay off his buddies is pretty bad
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #162 on: June 19, 2016, 02:28:04 PM »

Madigan is not a moderate; if he was the legislature wouldn't be a gridlocked hellhole. I mean seriously, they can't even pass education funding despite rauner bending over backward? Madigan is a fierce partisan who wants to punish the state for electing rauner.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #163 on: June 19, 2016, 04:05:52 PM »

Madigan is not a moderate; if he was the legislature wouldn't be a gridlocked hellhole. I mean seriously, they can't even pass education funding despite rauner bending over backward? Madigan is a fierce partisan who wants to punish the state for electing rauner.
You are making the mistake of assuming the problems in Illinois have much of anything to do with ideology.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #164 on: June 19, 2016, 04:31:23 PM »

One can be a partisan moderate.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #165 on: June 19, 2016, 05:18:49 PM »

Hahaha Illinois Dems fail again.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #166 on: June 19, 2016, 06:03:18 PM »

LOLOLOLOL. A moderate is the antithesis of a partisan.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #167 on: June 19, 2016, 06:07:18 PM »

You're wrong.  Madigan and his General Assembly Democrats have always governed conservatively.  They don't like to rock the boat, and have to be dragged kicking and screaming when it comes to passing progressive legislation.  They're not ideologically conservative, necessarily.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #168 on: June 19, 2016, 06:11:43 PM »

You're wrong.  Madigan and his General Assembly Democrats have always governed conservatively.  They don't like to rock the boat, and have to be dragged kicking and screaming when it comes to passing progressive legislation.  They're not ideologically conservative, necessarily.

Okay, fine, they didn't pass the pet health care bill of the left, or whatever. I'm not going to call anyone who gridlock the legislature to the extent Madigan has for purposes of partisanship and/or punishment and/or not liking rauner as a person a moderate, period. If you want to, suit yourself. But if I lived in Illinois, I'd vote for a piece of gum over Madigan.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #169 on: June 19, 2016, 06:35:55 PM »

He's not that bad, aside from bankrupting the state.  The Illinois Democrats are pretty moderate thanks to him.

You're wrong.  Madigan and his General Assembly Democrats have always governed conservatively.  They don't like to rock the boat, and have to be dragged kicking and screaming when it comes to passing progressive legislation.  They're not ideologically conservative, necessarily.

Okay, fine, they didn't pass the pet health care bill of the left, or whatever. I'm not going to call anyone who gridlock the legislature to the extent Madigan has for purposes of partisanship and/or punishment and/or not liking rauner as a person a moderate, period. If you want to, suit yourself. But if I lived in Illinois, I'd vote for a piece of gum over Madigan.

I'm sure Speaker Madigan will be devastated to learn that some random Republican in Minnesota doesn't like him.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #170 on: June 19, 2016, 09:00:43 PM »

For a little throwback to 1988, to see how much things have and haven't changed: http://www.lib.niu.edu/1989/ii890217.html

Worth the read, has easy-to-read tables as well

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #171 on: June 19, 2016, 10:42:50 PM »

There is a massive difference between being moderate and adopting a good-government outlook on policies. They are often opposed: some of the most moderate states have historically been places like PA, NY, and LA because their politicians are elected for graft instead of for ideology.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2016, 12:06:33 AM »

I was looking over the last couple of pages and found these gems:

If Chris Kennedy is going to run for governor he is going to have to do something about his "smile". My goodness its hard to look at.

If Sheila Simon could manage, I'm sure he'll be fine.

Apparently there was a very good reason the Democrats nominated this guy in 2010.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #173 on: June 21, 2016, 12:15:43 AM »

Yes, Illinois Republicans are much more attractive than Illinois Democrats.  Not even close!
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #174 on: June 21, 2016, 12:49:34 PM »

Yes, Illinois Republicans are much more attractive than Illinois Democrats.  Not even close!

Upon first thought of analyzing the attractiveness of top Republicans in the state vs. top Democrats, I may have to concede that you're right. My congressman, Bill Foster, cannot take a picture that won't scare children away.

Among the voters though, its a Democratic landslide Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies