Could Tom Ridge be on the 2016 ticket?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:45:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Could Tom Ridge be on the 2016 ticket?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could Tom Ridge be on the 2016 ticket?  (Read 2039 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2014, 04:34:22 PM »

He would be 71 in 2016. I don't see him surviving a primary, but if a conservative wins the nomination and is looking for someone to help with foreign policy, he could be a possibility. Also would provide a small boost in Pennsylvania.

That being said, white male/white male in 2016 isn't a good idea for the GOP.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 04:48:10 PM »

It's past Mr. Ridge's time. I would've liked VP Tom Ridge in 2000, but by this point he's a has been.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 04:51:01 PM »

Too old.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 04:51:33 PM »

He would be 71 in 2016. I don't see him surviving a primary, but if a conservative wins the nomination and is looking for someone to help with foreign policy, he could be a possibility. Also would provide a small boost in Pennsylvania.

That being said, white male/white male in 2016 isn't a good idea for the GOP.

While some in the media would criticize it, a white male/white male ticket won't be a big problem IMO. It could help balance geography  (Midwest, South, Northeast). (ex: Pence/Thune, Christie/Walker, Bush/Walker). Ridge would be on the ticket unless the presidential nominee may need help in foreign policy.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 04:54:51 PM »

It's past Mr. Ridge's time. I would've liked VP Tom Ridge in 2000, but by this point he's a has been.

Basically this. The GOP doesn't need someone who hasn't been in elected office for 15 years on the ticket. Nor would they pick one, I don't think.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 04:57:14 PM »

Basically this. The GOP doesn't need someone who hasn't been in elected office for 15 years on the ticket. Nor would they pick one, I don't think.

I mean, some are seriously considering Jeb Bush, who would be out of office for nearly ten years when and if he announces he is running for President.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 05:01:47 PM »

I mean, some are seriously considering Jeb Bush, who would be out of office for nearly ten years when and if he announces he is running for President.

Jeb Bush is alot younger, but I do see your point. But there just is a different feel with Bush than there is Ridge.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 07:46:05 PM »

He might be on the long-list for potential Republican nominees who could benefit from the addition of a swing state elder statesman on the ticket.

Still if Republicans are picking a pro-choice Bush appointee, they're more likely to go with Condoleeza Rice.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 09:05:57 PM »

He might be on the long-list for potential Republican nominees who could benefit from the addition of a swing state elder statesman on the ticket.

Still if Republicans are picking a pro-choice Bush appointee, they're more likely to go with Condoleeza Rice.

What he said.

I will say that in another time, Ridge would be a serious VP pick.  A Pennsylvania Catholic that served in Vietnam and who has top shelf experience like Ridge is the kind of guy the GOP should be looking at for the TOP job, but it's not a perfect world.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 10:46:50 PM »

No
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 04:31:51 AM »

What he said.

I will say that in another time, Ridge would be a serious VP pick.  A Pennsylvania Catholic that served in Vietnam and who has top shelf experience like Ridge is the kind of guy the GOP should be looking at for the TOP job, but it's not a perfect world.

Agree.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 03:56:49 PM »

Looking at Republican presidential contenders and considering whether Tom Ridge would be a fit.

Rand Paul- Seems unlikely to go with an elderly Bush cabinet official.

Chris Christie- He has a lot of similarities with Ridge (Catholic Northeastern Governor who worked for Bush.) He might consider Ridge as part of an amplification strategy.

Paul Ryan- Could use someone with defense chops and executive experience. I don't know if he'll pick an elderly white male Catholic.

Mike Huckabee- There's a lot in Ridge's background that is a good fit for Huck, but this would be a ticket with two white guys who haven't held office in a while.

Jeb Bush- George W Bush's brother is not going to pick someone who served in his brother's administration.

Marco Rubio- This may be the best fit. A young legislator like Rubio could benefit from the addition of an elder statesman who had served as Governor and in cabinet posts.

Ted Cruz- See above. It might help Cruz rebrand for a General Election, although this assumes Cruz is strategically pandering.

Scott Walker- Could be part of a rust belt strategy. Not sure Walker wants an old white guy on his ticket.

Bobby Jindal- Would be a way to appear more moderate for a GE. A northeastern old white guy adds diversity to a ticket with a young southern brown guy.

Mitt Romney- Unlikely to select a pro-choice old white guy.

Susanna Martinez- Ridge adds a resume and geographic diversity, but I imagine that a woman who chose not to have kids will probably need a pro-life running mate for the Republican party.

Carly Fiorina- Safe establishment choice for a woman who hasn't held elected/ cabinet office.

John Kasich- Unlikely to pick another old white guy.

Rob Portman- Not sure he wants another Bush administration guy.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 04:34:58 PM »

"Hey, remember me? The guy who was somebody for five minutes 14 years ago?"
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 06:45:43 PM »

Tom WHO?!
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 01:59:43 PM »

The Republicans should be in better shape than they are for 2016.  One reason is that their party appears to that small core of voters that are weak partisans/independents to be ranting and unreasonable.   The Republicans scare people.  This is something that the Democrats used to do in their lean years, but they’ve learned to better keep their eye on the ball.

Ridge would be a good pick for VP for the GOP if they are serious in presenting themselves as a serious party.  He’s a guy who comes off as an excellent “backup QB” who can take the team to victory if the starter goes down.  It will be tough to convince any number of voters that Susana Martinez or Brian Sandoval are actually ready for the Presidency, having served only as Governors of small, insular states.  Ridge has national experience at the level that most doors are open to him. 

My own ideal ticket for 2016 would be Dan Quayle and Tom Ridge.  Few folks would agree with me, but this would be a ticket that could appeal to conservatives while presenting to America folks who are actually up to the job.

Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2014, 02:20:25 AM »

The Republicans should be in better shape than they are for 2016.  One reason is that their party appears to that small core of voters that are weak partisans/independents to be ranting and unreasonable.   The Republicans scare people.  This is something that the Democrats used to do in their lean years, but they’ve learned to better keep their eye on the ball.

Ridge would be a good pick for VP for the GOP if they are serious in presenting themselves as a serious party.  He’s a guy who comes off as an excellent “backup QB” who can take the team to victory if the starter goes down.  It will be tough to convince any number of voters that Susana Martinez or Brian Sandoval are actually ready for the Presidency, having served only as Governors of small, insular states.  Ridge has national experience at the level that most doors are open to him. 

My own ideal ticket for 2016 would be Dan Quayle and Tom Ridge.  Few folks would agree with me, but this would be a ticket that could appeal to conservatives while presenting to America folks who are actually up to the job.

While it would never work, a Quayle candidacy would be awesome. Nobody would argue that he isn't ready to be President.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2014, 10:27:59 AM »

While it would never work, a Quayle candidacy would be awesome. Nobody would argue that he isn't ready to be President.
I would, mainly because he hasn't held office in decades. He's likely to have a poor understanding of how Washington operates now.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2014, 04:54:50 PM »

I would, mainly because he hasn't held office in decades. He's likely to have a poor understanding of how Washington operates now.

How Washington operates now is the problem.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies