Is North Korea fascist?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:14:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is North Korea fascist?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ...
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Is North Korea fascist?  (Read 12118 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2014, 12:37:18 AM »

Der Ring des Nibelungen is hardly a futuristic work in any sense

This could not be more untrue.  I mean, it's not "Futurist" in the sense that it's part and parcel specifically of the Italian Futurists or the milieu they came from... but it was deeply small-f futurist in virtually every detail save the mythological plot choice. 
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2014, 01:10:28 AM »

Fair enough. If you'd like to elaborate on that I'd be fascinated to hear what you have to say.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2014, 01:41:56 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2014, 01:50:58 AM by traininthedistance »

Fair enough. If you'd like to elaborate on that I'd be fascinated to hear what you have to say.

Well, briefly, Wagner was, in the context of mid-19th century music, an arch-modernist and even a radical.  Contrast with, say, Brahms, who was his great rival and a much more conservative voice.  His harmonic language was far more complex and difficult than many of his contemporaries- the most famous example of this being Tristan and Isolde, which starts with a really hard-to-place harmony and doesn't get a proper cadence until the very end four hours later.  These harmonies don't seem so radical now, given all his imitators, but they were at the time.  Also, a a lot of the weirder 20th century stuff that makes it seem more normal was, in fact, a direct reaction against Wagner (say, the Impressionists or Stravinsky), or the logical next step (Schoenberg- who started out in much the same complex post-Romantic vein and evolved to the 12-tone system after a longer time period than you might think).

In terms of staging and lyrics and such, he took an unprecedented level of control over all of it in much the same way that modernist-inclined filmmakers would later brand themselves "auteurs".  (Example: writing his own libretti.)  The idea was given the name Gesamtkunstwerk and it is a deeply modernist way of creating and thinking about art.  He tried, and largely succeeded in, turning opera from high-class entertainment into High Art- the whole "dim the lights and complete silence from the audience" schtick was basically invented by Wagner in his attempt to make the stage a temple for his new and radical art, sweeping away the follies of the past.

And, to further elaborate, the choice to put all this Great German* Profundity into opera- sorry, oops, "music drama"- was itself another decision that, for its time, was a marker of the radicals.  The thinking was that Beethoven's 9th, which added chorus, had exhausted the "pure symphony" and a New Art that built on that would have to fuse music and drama- that is, opera.  Contrast again with Brahms, who  wrote symphonies but nary a single opera.

Oh, and also, there are his writings, which make it even more clear:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_and_Revolution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Artwork_of_the_Future
and... um...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Judenthum_in_der_Musik

Obviously it's hard to see all of that behind the Viking helmets and the anti-Semitism.  And, sure, he didn't have the same love of the machine that the Italian Futurists did.  But, adjusting for his different time and place, he was very into forging that New Art of the Future, in a way that indeed was similarly simpatico with the more revolutionary aspects of Fascism.

For what it's worth I can't stand Wagner's actual music, even without taking into account his horrid politics.  But even I can't deny his incalculable influence on the entire classical world, and a lot of stuff I do like does owe him a debt one way or another.

* And yes, obviously, the fact that this Profundity was German matters a great deal.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2014, 11:47:09 AM »

Contrast with, say, Brahms, who was his great rival and a much more conservative voice.

Though a political Liberal, hilariously enough.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2014, 12:01:26 PM »

And note that the symphonic composers who were most obviously influenced by Wagner were Bruckner and Mahler, who's works still feel 'radical' today, although not in the same way.

Note also that this was also a major break from the past and therefore also 'radical':

traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2014, 02:19:27 PM »

Contrast with, say, Brahms, who was his great rival and a much more conservative voice.

Though a political Liberal, hilariously enough.

Well, yes.  I prefer both the music and the politics of Brahms myself.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies