What would be your ideal solution to the Israel/Palestine issue? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:20:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What would be your ideal solution to the Israel/Palestine issue? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What would be your ideal solution to the Israel/Palestine issue?  (Read 8381 times)
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« on: July 31, 2014, 03:23:27 PM »

Ideal solution? The current Israel and Palestine are united into a single state (known as "The State of Israel" in Hebrew and "The State of Palestine" in Arabic, the nation's two official languages), whose legislative powers are vested in a national unicameral legislature headed by the Prime Minister, and whose executive powers are vested in the President. Legislators are elected from one of the nation's districts (modeled on the districts of Mandatory Palestine), with the number of legislators representing each district determined by that district's population. A Census is to be held every ten years to ensure accurate representation.

The President is appointed by the Prime Minister. When the Prime Minister is Jewish, the President must be Muslim, and vice versa. In the event that the Prime Minister belongs to a religion other than one of those two, there is no religion requirement for the President. The powers and responsibilities of the Presidency are comparable to those of the President of the United States.

Equality between the religions would be the first principle enshrined in the new state's Constitution.

I have no idea how practical any of this is.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 10:20:06 AM »

Ideal solution? The current Israel and Palestine are united into a single state (known as "The State of Israel" in Hebrew and "The State of Palestine" in Arabic, the nation's two official languages), whose legislative powers are vested in a national unicameral legislature headed by the Prime Minister, and whose executive powers are vested in the President. Legislators are elected from one of the nation's districts (modeled on the districts of Mandatory Palestine), with the number of legislators representing each district determined by that district's population. A Census is to be held every ten years to ensure accurate representation.

The President is appointed by the Prime Minister. When the Prime Minister is Jewish, the President must be Muslim, and vice versa. In the event that the Prime Minister belongs to a religion other than one of those two, there is no religion requirement for the President. The powers and responsibilities of the Presidency are comparable to those of the President of the United States.

Equality between the religions would be the first principle enshrined in the new state's Constitution.

I have no idea how practical any of this is.

What about Christian Palestinians, of which there are quite a few of?

Or Palestianians who speak Hebrew, or Israelis who speak Arabic?

What about them? Did I somehow leave any of those groups out in the cold in my proposal?
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 08:10:13 PM »

Ideal solution? The current Israel and Palestine are united into a single state (known as "The State of Israel" in Hebrew and "The State of Palestine" in Arabic, the nation's two official languages)

But what would you call it in English or any other language? Anyway, Israel already has a name in Arabic (Israil) and Palestine already has a name in Hebrew (Palestina).

That would be like saying the US's name in English is the United States of America and its name in Spanish is Mexico.

I was attempting to come up with a name that was inoffensive to the different sides, but it appears that I didn't quite think things through.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies