What would be your ideal solution to the Israel/Palestine issue? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:55:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What would be your ideal solution to the Israel/Palestine issue? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What would be your ideal solution to the Israel/Palestine issue?  (Read 8349 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« on: July 31, 2014, 02:01:11 AM »
« edited: July 31, 2014, 02:15:45 AM by traininthedistance »

More or less what Redalgo said.  

In terms of hard choices for both sides: I'm willing to say that the idea that Israel should be able to annex its settlements on the other side of the Green Line and engage in unequal "land swaps" is a bad-faith land grab that kinda does deserve the "imperialist" epithet. As for the Palestinians, the so-called "right of return" is, well, an even worse-faith fantasy that ignores practicality and history for the sake of fomenting hatred and resentment.   Both demands will probably need to be scrapped if either side is serious about peace, though if a peace deal that included some limited land swaps or cash restitutions for refugee-descendants actually went through, that would of course be acceptable.  

As bleak as the prospects for a two-state solution are presently, and as much as my ideals should normally bend towards the idea of a secular, multiethnic, state... the sad fact is that any "one-state" solution here runs a far far far too high risk of either the subjugation, forced conversion, or outright slaughtering of the minority group, and thus is prima facie unacceptable until such time as religious fundamentalism has vanished from the earth.  Different outcomes more or less likely depending on which group has the demographic upper hand, of course; I should hardly need to spell out which is which (though of course this could shift with the passing of time and the changing of public opinion).
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 11:03:58 AM »

I'm not sure why the Palestinians should give up their right to return for refugees driven out of their land in 1948 when Israel explicitly allows the immigration of any Jew in the world into its country.

Should Germany insist on a "right of return" for those people expelled from the Recovered Territories east of the Oder-Neisse?  That's the most analogous situation here.

And, no, I don't think the fact of aliyah materially damages that analogy, not when so many of the Jews that did make aliyah did so as refugees themselves expelled from other parts of the Middle East, or fleeing more low-level persecution pressures in the Soviet Union.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies