Small Business
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:39:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Small Business
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you support low tax rates for small businesses?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Small Business  (Read 795 times)
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 31, 2014, 12:03:37 AM »

One question that I have been pondering somewhat about lately, is the question of small businesses. As higher wages, and unionization is pushed for, I sometimes do wonder about the effect on small businesses. Ultimately I feel tax breaks in conjunction with high wages, and allowing unions to form, would be a positive thing to allow small businesses to still be able to turn a profit, and ultimately hire more workers, all while paying much higher wages. How do you feel, should we cut taxes on small businesses, or not, and if so, are there any conditions which you would require in order to do so?
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 12:23:39 AM »
« Edited: July 31, 2014, 12:25:38 AM by Deus Naturae »

I would establish a tax rate of zero for all businesses.

What purpose is served by taxing small businesses, or for that matter, any businesses, at all? The costs of taxation are just passed on to workers (which is clearly bad since you view higher wages as a top priority) and consumers (which is regressive for the same reason that sales taxation is regressive).

Unions are already allowed to form so I don't see the relevance of that.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 12:24:32 AM »

Yes, emphatically.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 03:18:03 AM »

I'm all for added incentives that allow small businesses to pay better wages. It's different from a large corporation. You could give them all the tax breaks in the world, but they still will only pay their workers seven or eight bucks an hour.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 09:31:27 AM »

I'm all for added incentives that allow small businesses to pay better wages. It's different from a large corporation. You could give them all the tax breaks in the world, but they still will only pay their workers seven or eight bucks an hour.

This.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 10:09:52 AM »

Small businesses are worse for their workers than larger enterprises are. I would not support giving them preferential treatment under any circumstances.
SNJ1985
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 10:13:57 AM »

Yes (I/O)
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 10:33:59 AM »

Small businesses are worse for their workers than larger enterprises are. I would not support giving them preferential treatment under any circumstances.

Uh...what?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 10:40:39 AM »

Yes, and in fact, I would give starting small business a period of time with no taxes at all, like Start Up NY.

Besides lower wages, what other ways are they worse (IYO) than large corporations?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 10:52:21 AM »

It would be more accurate to say that small businesses are extremely variable on that front; some are very good, some are terrible. But I would note that even the bad ones don't have the horror of HR.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 11:10:50 AM »

This.

Actually, come to think of it, this may be a better way to increase wages than low taxes.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 06:08:05 AM »

You'd think half the people in the country were small business owners going by GOP rhetoric/propaganda.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 06:15:12 AM »

Small business owners (along with certain underclass elements) are by far the most prone to far-right ideology, as history has taught us.
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 10:11:02 AM »

Yes (D)
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 11:03:19 AM »

I would establish a tax rate of zero for all businesses.

What purpose is served by taxing small businesses, or for that matter, any businesses, at all? The costs of taxation are just passed on to workers (which is clearly bad since you view higher wages as a top priority) and consumers (which is regressive for the same reason that sales taxation is regressive).

Unions are already allowed to form so I don't see the relevance of that.
This.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 02:50:09 PM »

You'd think half the people in the country were small business owners going by GOP rhetoric/propaganda.

The problem with the GOP is they define "small business" as anything smaller than Wal-Mart.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 03:04:34 PM »

Yes, and in fact, I would give starting small business a period of time with no taxes at all, like Start Up NY.

Besides lower wages, what other ways are they worse (IYO) than large corporations?

Hyperexploitation of their employees is basically my biggest beef with 'small business' as compared to larger enterprise (which still engages in exploitation, just on a somewhat reduced scale on account of having the ability to pay their workers more). Nix outlined a lot of other good reasons, too. I would however make a distinction for (a) cooperative enterprises, which I think need all the tax support and subsidies we can throw their way and (b) enterprises in which one person is both the owner and employee of a firm.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies