An advice on Senate Polls Average.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:33:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  An advice on Senate Polls Average.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: An advice on Senate Polls Average.  (Read 554 times)
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 31, 2014, 04:07:53 AM »

An advice, please Smiley
I'm doing an average of the polls for every senate race but my doubt is: it is right including internal polls?
An example: for Arkansas, with the internal poll (Pryor 45% Cotton 39%) the average is Cotton 48,7% and Pryor 48,7% (to be precise, it is Cotton 48,69% and Pryor 48,66%). Without the internal poll, the average is Cotton 49,1% and Pryor 48,5%.
What do you think?
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 10:51:12 AM »

I would maybe do both. It also depends on what you call an internal. If RCP is to be judged, everyone's precious PPP would have to be gutted out of the equation.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 11:35:39 AM »

Most internal polls I think should be excluded.  However, I would include PPP simply due to their track record.  PPP from time to time will do polls for liberal groups, those polls I would not include.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 09:37:43 PM »

Most internal polls I think should be excluded.  However, I would include PPP simply due to their track record.  PPP from time to time will do polls for liberal groups, those polls I would not include.

Other internal polls have good track records at times. I would exclude it completely, even if it is a sacred cow to this forum.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 09:40:20 PM »

Other internal polls have good track records at times. I would exclude it completely, even if it is a sacred cow to this forum.

The only reason people here like PPP is because it has been very accurate in the past. If that weren't the case, everyone would hate it.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 09:43:34 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2014, 10:10:52 PM by IceSpear »

The problem with internals is that they run the gamut from "highly accurate and right all along when nobody else was" (i.e. Harry Reid's in 2010), to complete and utter bullcrap (i.e. Eric Cantor's showing him up 40 points). You're better off just excluding them entirely.

I wouldn't include quasi-internals either. For example, PPP and Magellan are okay, but PPP being commissioned by the John Walsh campaign or Magellan being commissioned by the NHGOP are not.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 10:19:21 PM »

The problem with internals is that they run the gamut from "highly accurate and right all along when nobody else was" (i.e. Harry Reid's in 2010), to complete and utter bullcrap (i.e. Eric Cantor's showing him up 40 points). You're better off just excluding them entirely.

I wouldn't include quasi-internals either. For example, PPP and Magellan are okay, but PPP being commissioned by the John Walsh campaign or Magellan being commissioned by the NHGOP are not.

That's why I would exclude them, period. If they have been commissioned even once, ignore them.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 10:20:42 PM »

Is this really an honest pollster?

http://washingtonexaminer.com/nate-silver-calls-out-ppp-for-liberal-bias-on-gun-control-poll/article/2535603

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/114682/ppp-polling-methodology-opaque-flawed
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 10:26:55 PM »

>citing conservative sources crying liberal bias

Math is not a vast left-wing conspiracy.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 10:29:44 PM »

The lower article employed actual information. Not skewed to my knowledge. You skew the reality of it to show it skewing reality. I love circular logic.

And how has Nate Silver ever been a conservative darling for calling something genuinely off-putting out. If he called out Rassy or that article defamed Rassy, you would love it. Rassy sucks, too, by the way.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 02:00:44 AM »

The lower article employed actual information. Not skewed to my knowledge. You skew the reality of it to show it skewing reality. I love circular logic.

And how has Nate Silver ever been a conservative darling for calling something genuinely off-putting out. If he called out Rassy or that article defamed Rassy, you would love it. Rassy sucks, too, by the way.

Ah, gotcha. You're partially right - New Republic is actually liberal - sometimes I get that confused with freep, so that might have some problems. The Washington Examiner is actually a conservative source - I've read the firsthand source from Nate Silver and it was more concerned with them using "feelings" on whether to release the poll or not. However, the fact that he still includes them in his average, and even Erick Erickson of all people defended PPP should show that PPP's generally more well-respected than Rasmussen.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies